SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All else being equal, I should owe less federal taxes for 2018 compared to 2017. True or False?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All else being equal, I should owe less federal taxes for 2018 compared to 2017. True or False? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Is the title a true statement? If nothing changes on my end the tax law changes should result in a lower tax liability for 2018, right?

It won’t magically double or anything?

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
We'd have to know a whole lot about your tax situation to be able to help with that question. If you use a tax advisor, see if their software can 'rerun' the return under the 2018 rules.

Understand that many of the changes are unclear. So if you are in a partnership or S Corp, it may or may not be clear whether you get the special 20% deduction on business income...... a long way of saying even if the software can make a computation the result might not be accurate.

If you're like me and income is from a W-2 and you have a basic set of itemized deductions, your tax advisor may be able to give you an answer.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
standard deduction for married filing joinly is 24K now. If you itemized last year and your deductions were around 24k it would stay relatively close. There are a lot of factors that make up "income" though.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Tax rates are lower. Standard deduction is double. But personal and child deductions are gone. But income limit for child tax credit was raised to 200K from 55K. It also doubled to 2K. These are the factors affecting most regularly employed people.

Also “owing less” depends on your withholding. Your total tax burden should be less. But if you had less taken out in your paychecks then what you owe in April could be more. What you owe or get back in April has nothing to do with your tax rate really. It’s how much you overpaid or underpaid during the tax year.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "personal and child deductions"?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
What do you mean by "personal and child deductions"?

No deduction for "personal exemptions" - i.e. you, spouse, children, any other dependents.

But, you still have to be concerned about them meeting the dependency tests because those definitions still exist when it comes to different deductions and credits even though the "personal and dependent exemption" amount is out the window.

As said earlier, way to many variables in each persons situation to attempt to generalize - best way to determine is to run a projection based on either 2017 recast with 2018 rules or best estimates of 2018 income and deduction items. The more they simplify it, the more we have to do!

And, don't believe the bs about them simplifying the 1040. They dropped some lines off it and added schedules to replace a lot of the data that they removed. Yes, for some that 1040 will be simpler but for LOTS of others, it's going to mean MORE forms!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
So if I understand correctly, "deductions" isn't the same as "credit"?

The "child tax credit" that is $1k?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

it's now $2,000 per child.

It's my understanding from what I'm reading and hearing that people's tax refunds may be lower than before, so if you are someone who counts on a huge refund, you may not be seeing that going forward.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I don't count on my refund but I don't try and skirt the line as close as possible either. My Fed WH's were set at 4 or 5. I'm single and I file HH and claim one child. Normally I would get around $2,500 back.

My son turned 17 this past April, so does that mean I no longer get the tax credit for him?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the title a true statement? If nothing changes on my end the tax law changes should result in a lower tax liability for 2018, right?

Yes, if you are self employed. Yes, for most of you that are a W2 employee, all else being the same. But, W2 employees are being under withheld per IRS tables in 2018, so expect a smaller refund. All by design to make Trump/Republicans look bad?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked into it too deeply but I've been told that we will no longer be able to deduct non-reimbursed business expenses. I'm afraid to go back to the '17 returns to see what impact that's going to have.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Not enough information

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it depends on your specific situation with everything else that might be in play

not a one-sized all situation

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Ok, so let me give a few more details. Married, 3 kids. Same as last year. All income from a single W2, same as last year. Will make slightly more this year, about 12%, but I will be in the 22% bracket.

After deductions on my “taxable income” I owed about $3600. That was largely offset by the child tax credit.

What I’m trying to decide is how much to reduce my withholding for the remainder of the year from no reduction at all to possibly claiming exempt. I have already withheld $4100 this year. Given what I owed last year, currently withheld funds plus the $6000 child tax credits means I’m probably ok.

So I’m considering drastically reducing witholdibgs.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
So according to the IRS.gov witholding calculator I should get $50 back this year and I should set my WH's to 6...

posted Hide Post
CA- There's a limit on your property tax deductions.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't count on my refund but I don't try and skirt the line as close as possible either. My Fed WH's were set at 4 or 5. I'm single and I file HH and claim one child. Normally I would get around $2,500 back.

My son turned 17 this past April, so does that mean I no longer get the tax credit for him?

Unfortunately, since I'm a small business owner, my payroll witholdings have been zero for decades thanks to owning a sub S corp. I would love to get some money back but unfortunately I have to pay quarterly estimated taxes on top of our w/h...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's not that simple, but there are lots of tools out there to help you run an estimate, including one from Turbotax I believe.

The biggest sleeper impact is the loss of deduction over $10K combined for state income taxes plus property taxes. For folks with significantly more than that the lower tax rates may not offset that loss of deduction.

For the people who don't itemize, it is far easier to estimate!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if I understand correctly, "deductions" isn't the same as "credit"?

huge difference

deductions - if you qualify - reduce your income

credits reduce the actual tax owed dollar for dollar

credits are MUCH better at reducing your taxes owed.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
It's not that simple, but there are lots of tools out there to help you run an estimate, including one from Turbotax I believe.

The biggest sleeper impact is the loss of deduction over $10K combined for state income taxes plus property taxes. For folks with significantly more than that the lower tax rates may not offset that loss of deduction.

For the people who don't itemize, it is far easier to estimate!

Last year we itemized 20k. I don’t foresee a significant increase that would get us to 24k in itemized deductions...