SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice on some old coins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on some old coins Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know where the best place to get an honest value of some older coins, I've done alot of reading online but don't know how accurate it is. I know there are retailers that deal in older coins but I would be concerned that they wouldn't give an accurate value and would try to instead purchase them cheap to resale.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Same situation.

Will be following this thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
There's a place not far from here called Hartville Coin, located in Hartville, OH. I've never bought or sold coins there but have sold some scrap gold jewelry and was given a very fair price. I've never heard a negative thing about them and they are always busy.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I should have added that I'm either looking for somewhere where I can communicate with them online or preferably someone in North Florida or South Alabama.

quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
There's a place not far from here called Hartville Coin, located in Hartville, OH. I've never bought or sold coins there but have sold some scrap gold jewelry and was given a very fair price. I've never heard a negative thing about them and they are always busy.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be concerned that they wouldn't give an accurate value and would try to instead purchase them cheap to resale.

You are partially right.
Yes, they will offer a "wholesale" price so they can retail ~ what do you expect them to offer you retail so they can sell at wholesale? Confused

However, if you think the price will not be enough then do your homework in advance and get more than one quote/appraisal/price.
Perhaps get recommendations of a reputable dealer but don't expect them to lose money as a favor to you.
Business is business and you can say no to the deal if you want.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I wanna know the value, not necessarily gonna sell them and if I do I would try to sell them myself just don't know where to start.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I would be concerned that they wouldn't give an accurate value and would try to instead purchase them cheap to resale.

You are partially right.
Yes, they will offer a "wholesale" price so they can retail ~ what do you expect them to offer you retail so they can sell at wholesale? Confused

However, if you think the price will not be enough then do your homework in advance and get more than one quote/appraisal/price.
perhaps get recommendations of a reputable dealer but don't expect them to lose money as a favor to you.
Business is business and you and say no to the deal if you want.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Ebay search of sold items matching the description will give you market value

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eBay \ Search \ to the right Advanced \ Sold Items.

http://www.apmex.com also carries collectables.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So you want your coins appraised. Just go into a shop and tell them that. Say it's for insurance purposes. It is a service though and they will probably charge you for it so ask how much they charge for it before handing over the goods.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Log on to http://www.pcgs.com and find their link for coin values. Pull up your coin(s) and start looking at the grades to see where your coin(s) fits. This may help. They also have links to eBay sales. Once you find your coin(s) always check "completed" sales on the left side on the eBay page, this will tell you what sold and at what price not just the asking price. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
Log on to http://www.pcgs.com and find their link for coin values. Pull up your coin(s) and start looking at the grades to see where your coin(s) fits. This may help. They also have links to eBay sales. Once you find your coin(s) always check "completed" sales on the left side on the eBay page, this will tell you what sold and at what price not just the asking price. Chris

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So you want your coins appraised. Just go into a shop and tell them that. Say it's for insurance purposes. It is a service though and they will probably charge you for it so ask how much they charge for it before handing over the goods.

This is what I would do. Ask for appraisal for insurance value. I did it when I wanted to know the value of a 1960 Gretsch Duojet. Only thing the guy wanted for payment was a little time to play it.

They may charge a small fee for coin appraisal though.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got some coins appraised from my Dad's estate last year. We were able to use a local coin shop/appraiser we knew/had enough confidence in. They gave us two prices: a buy price/value that they would buy at, and replacement value-what we would pay if we had to buy in case of loss. As part of the appraisal reports we got everything listed and divided into three nearly equal value lots.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post