SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One Fewer Skyline GTRs After This Afternoon \ Updated With Jalopnik Article
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Fewer Skyline GTRs After This Afternoon \ Updated With Jalopnik Article Login/Join 
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted
It was a beautiful day in East Tennessee, so I took an afternoon trip across The Dragon (US 129).

Three miles from the end in TN and had to stop because of this.

It wasn't from an accident and everyone was okay, but the car was a total loss and burned a long time.

brief video

Jalopnik Article

On Sunday afternoon, Sharif Abdelbaset was driving his 2017 Nissan GT-R Nismo on the famously windy road known as Tail of the Dragon when his engine cut out. Just minutes later, his car was engulfed in flames.

Abdelbaset, manager of Forged Performance (a tuning shop that specializes in GT-Rs), headed out to Deals Gap on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee this past weekend to drive his beautiful 2017 Nissan GT-R Nismo. The car (his daily driver, which only had basic bolt-on modifications—rotors, calipers, suspension parts, wheels and tires, exhaust—and a mostly stock engine) was performing great, when, in a remote area with little cell coverage, dash warning lights showed up and the engine cut off just as he turned a corner.

Abdelbaset told me over the phone that he sat stranded in the car for a few minutes, but the situation didn’t seem too dire:

I didn’t smell anything, didn’t see anything; no smell of fuel, no smoke...I was literally sitting in the car.

That’s when his buddy following on a motorcycle knocked on the GT-R’s window and said “I see smoke and a fire coming from your car.” Abdelbaset, who thought his friend was joking, hopped out and saw a bit of smoke coming from the right rear quarter of the trunk.

He opened the lid, and saw a small “smoldering fire” in the right rear corner of the trunk; the carpet was beginning to burn. As people drove by, some handed Abdelbaset fire extinguishers, but the extinguishers—along with water that Abdelbaset tried to use—weren’t enough to put out the fire, which seemed to be coming from below the trunk, somewhere in the brake/wheel well/underbody area.

It seemed like within about two or three minutes of Abdelbaset spotting the fire, it was out of control and could not be stopped. When Abdelbaset realized this, he ran to the car’s cabin, grabbed his laptop, backpack and other belongings, and sat on the side of the hill near the road, feeling that “hopeless sense of ‘there’s nothing you can do.’”

Because of Abdelbaset’s remote location, the police arrived at the GT-R about 15 minutes after the fire started; 30 minutes after that, a fire truck showed up, but as Abdelbaset told me, it was too late:

By the time the fire truck got there, it was really just a small fire at that point; everything had pretty much burned up.

He said it really only took about five minutes for the fire to consume the back half of the car, and after about eight minutes, just about the whole car was engulfed in a giant fireball.

Abdelbaset says he thinks the leaves on the road (which have caused problems before with engine cooling as they block grille openings) may have been channeled by the brake guides into the vicinity of the brakes, exhaust and transmission. “The back of the GT-R gets really hot in general,” Abdelbaset told me, so if a bunch of leaves accumulated in that area, that could very well have been the cause of the fire, which may have melted an electrical harness and caused the car to shut off.

The good news is that nobody was hurt, the forest made it by unscathed, and the road was only closed for a couple of hours. Abdelbaset told me he learned a lot from this experience, telling me that fires aren’t like they seem in the movies, saying:

It just started really small and ...gradually just consumed more and more of the car...It’s pretty scary to watch.

He went on, saying “most car fires..they start as very small fires like this,” and you’ve really only got about a minute or two to react, or it will be too late.

The Georgia-based performance shop manager and ECU tuner told me that, in the future, he plans to have a bigger fire extinguisher on him, as well as first aid equipment. This experience convinced him that small extinguishers just aren’t enough, and that having a hose attachment is crucial in order to actually shoot the propellant directly at the flame, which—in this case—was hidden in a tight spot at the bottom corner of the car.

The GT-R Nismo, which Abdelbaset had only owned since June, was insured, and he plans to get another one in the near future. So really, even though this whole situation was hugely unfortunate, it could have turned out a lot worse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gear.Up,

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Dang! I wonder what happened since it is just sitting in the lane

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dang! I wonder what happened

It caught on fire Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

It caught on fire Wink

Just like Microsoft. A technically correct but completely useless answer that gives no help.

Razz

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

It caught on fire Wink

ahh that explains it Razz

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Saw that on my Toguefest group. Crazy. They also had an 86 flip on it's side.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sucks that a GTR burned up but it is good to hear no one was injured. I am not a big fan of the R35 GTR. To me the R32-34 were the best skylines because of their looks and manual transmission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
He was on the side of the road (pre-bbq condition) in a pull-off when I crossed to NC.

The gas tank and tires were going off as I pulled up to this on the return. The guy who was right behind him said the flames were coming from the back as he was driving. They pulled over, got their stuff out and moved away.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Maybe some Lucas Electrical parts?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Maybe some Lucas Electrical parts?

Rucas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Dang! I wonder what happened ...

It became an external combustion engine.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
bump with an update to the OP.

posted Hide Post
looks more like a rapid oxidation event.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Family Guy episode parody of Star Wars when they talk about fixing the minor issue with the exhaust vent. Seems a 3 dollar part could have screened leaves from getting caught on the brakes.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So he basically was exceeding the posted safe speed limits, overheated the brakes with foreign object obstructions and it burned.

Funny how the limits are there for a reason and he discovered he exceeded that limit albeit expensively.

Just like the squids that are too good for a track who love pound the trees.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The GT-R Nismo, which Abdelbaset had only owned since June, was insured, and he plans to get another one in the near future. So really, even though this whole situation was hugely unfortunate, it could have turned out a lot worse.

I predict he will have challenges with his carrier while they try to establish his shops mods led to the fire.

That's a very unfortunate event.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12400 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
The car (his daily driver, which only had basic bolt-on modifications—rotors, calipers, suspension parts, wheels and tires, exhaust—and a mostly stock engine) was performing great, when, in a remote area with little cell coverage, dash warning lights showed up and the engine cut off just as he turned a corner.

I heard an interview with him on local radio where he said that he had $65K in mods on it. With the 110K list price, that's $175K. I'm sure he will have a fun time with his insurance company.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post