SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to buy a car...for 1st time in my life, not sure what I want. Any suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to buy a car...for 1st time in my life, not sure what I want. Any suggestions? Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I know you're not looking for compact SUV but take a look at a Subaru Forester XT Touring. All the creature comforts plus it's fast.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm sure sold on my wife's Acura TSX wagon. Made in Japan and sold in the rest of the worl as a Honda touring wagon. Peppy 2.4l that needs no routine timing belt change. Gets mid/low 30s on the road. Seats fold flat and load easy. Ours has nav and the tech package. Stock radio w xm is pretty good. 2014 was last year they brought them over and they don't bring big money even though there aren't many of them. My Ridgeline is an 08 and there is still nothing I'd rather drive (and make a payment on) and if I had to choose between TSX and RL I'd take Ridgeline every time. I think 1st gen RLs are a good buy right now. 2nd gen is nice but I like mine.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Lexus gets high marks from most sources for great reliability. Anyone have experience with Lexus, and perhaps the IS250 in particular?

I just purchased an IS250 and also have a GS350, so I certainly recommend the brand and would be happy to help with any questions.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I love my Subaru Crosstrek but negative on the 200HP I think.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
I looked in to most of the suggestions offered, and explored a bit more on my own, and have narrowed it down somewhat. I have spent the last day or two taking test rides, and it looks like it's coming down to either the Audi A4, Lexus IS250, or Mazda 6, the latter being in the run more as an economic option than a preference. The Acura ILX was, surprisingly, given my affinity for Acura, not really my cup of tea.

...aaand so it appears that a number of dealers in my area (both the Audi (CarMax) dealer and the Lexus dealer) have surpisingly gone to a fair-prices-posted-no-haggle/negotiation business practice Mad , so the low-mile '15 models that were priced at costs that I thought I could knock 10% off or so to get it around the $30K limit I set for myself are no longer in the game, i.e. the Lexus and Audi, unless I want to start looking at '14s with 25K+ miles on them...which I don't.

Unfortunate...the Lexus IS250 and the Audi 4 were the two top contenders just a few hours ago. But with two kids heading off to college for the first time in the fall, now is not the time to start fudging the family budget.

So now it's shrunk to one of two cars: a '15 Acura TLX with 10K'ish miles -- several similar ones in my area sale-priced at $28K (and I'm confident I can knock that down a bit more) and with a Certified Warranty or, alternatively, a '17 new Mazda 6 for around the same. Both loaded w/ the usual bells and whistles and nav. and back-up camera, etc. So apples-to-apples in that regard, and while I know one is considered luxury and other not, I didn't frankly have any experience with the test-drive of either that would dominate the decision.

Will probably pull the trigger on one tomorrow...any last-minute thoughts and experiences w/ either of these two would be gratefully accepted. I would have to say, though, that I'm leaning in the direction of the TLX.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: at-home-daddy,

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Anything made by Toyota including Lexus. Find the model that works best for you.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked in to most of the suggestions offered, and explored a bit more on my own, and have narrowed it down somewhat. I have spent the last day or two taking test rides, and it looks like it's coming down to either the Audi A4, Lexus IS250, or Mazda 6, the latter being in the run more as an economic option than a preference. The Acura ILX was, surprisingly, given my affinity for Acura, not really my cup of tea. I haven't discounted the A3 entirely, but do prefer the A4 for handling and a bit more roominess. My wife beat some sense in to me, and made me realize the truck idea just isn't practical for our use at all.

The Lexus gets high marks from most sources for great reliability. Anyone have experience with Lexus, and perhaps the IS250 in particular?

Better go at least drive a GTI before you buy an A4!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Buy a $2000 grandma car (Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac) on Craiglist that runs and has AC. Drive it for a few months while you decide what you want. Trade it in for a profit, or sell it back on Craiglist for what you paid for it. Free car rental.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife beat some sense in to me, and made me realize the truck idea just isn't practical for our use at all.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh for a number of reasons. About 8 years ago, when we only had two children, my wife woke up one Wednesday morning and declared we "needed" a bigger house. We were almost done remodeling our house, it was really nice, and on the water, but I told her if she found a house that made sense, I'd consider it. The next day she said she found one. It was 50% bigger, high ceilings, 4 bedrooms, 4 full baths, only 5 years old, as a bank sale the price was right, but not on water. I know my wife, she loves being on the water, I put a ton of my own labor into our house, and the market was soft so I wound up not selling our water house. In June, my wife says to me I was right, so I asked about what? She tells me we never should have left the old house, she loves the water, we should move back, and sell the big house. Eight years later and three kids now and she decides I was right.

What does this have to do with you? Well two years ago, my wife couldn't understand why I wanted such a "big" truck. I actually compromised and got a single rear wheel F-350. A couple weeks ago, she tells me I should have gotten the dually and asks me how much it would cost to trade my truck in on an F-450.

If every decision when buying a vehicle was based solely on need and practicality, I guarantee most of us would't be driving the vehicle we have. You are getting a truck. Might not be this time around, but at some point you will get a truck. Wink Good luck with your purchase. It sounds like you are on the right track. FWIW, I really like my mom's CX-5. With a turbo charged 4 banger it goes really well and handles well too. I'd much rather drive it than the lime green VW New Beetle with the flower on the dash she had before it.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffreyD103
posted Hide Post
Buy a well maintained 2003+ Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis with < 100K for about 5 grand.

Service ALL of the fluids. Throw on a set of tires and do the brakes if it needs it. Now you're up to 6 grand.

Maintain the damn thing. Drive it for ten years.

Take $14,500 and start each of your two kids a Roth IRA.

Done.

----------------------------------------------------------
Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences.

Posts: 688 | Location: Reading, Penna. | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyD103:
Buy a well maintained 2003+ Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis with < 100K for about 5 grand.

Service ALL of the fluids. Throw on a set of tires and do the brakes if it needs it. Now you're up to 6 grand.

Maintain the damn thing. Drive it for ten years.

Take $14,500 and start each of your two kids a Roth IRA.

Done.

This post just makes me sad and also happy that I do t have kids. Big Grin

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't driven one but have heard all over other forums that the IS250 is a bit underpowered for its size.
I'd take a new Mazda6.

TLXs may get a little more negotiation with the redesign on the 2018s.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffreyD103
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
This post just makes me sad and also happy that I do t have kids. Big Grin

Yeah, easy for me to say. No kids here either.

But I would still do it if I did have kids. My friend did this for each of his kids when they started college. And with quite a bit more than 14-9 each. I thought that was the kindest thing I'd ever seen any of my friends do for their kids. Of course he could still afford a new 2016 V6 Accord when he was done so there's that.

OP, honestly, 35K for a car is a little out of my league, I got nothing to recommend. Plenty of nice stuff to choose from though. Good luck!

And yeah, I drive a (wait for it) 10 year old Grand Marquis. Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------
Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences.

Posts: 688 | Location: Reading, Penna. | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have to second the truck idea. A crew cab (4-door) F-150 with a short bed will give you all the room you need both for your elbows and the wife and kids' stuff. Or the Chevy or Dodge equivalents. A friend of mine just bought a new Tacoma and loves it but I'm too much of a made-in-USA guy to buy an import.

That said, I've been a "practical" person all my life when it comes to vehicles. But after driving my last F-250 for 20 years, what did I end up buying? A 375hp 2016 Dodge Challenger. Nothing "practical" about it, I just plain wanted it. Wink

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I looked in to most of the suggestions offered, and explored a bit more on my own, and have narrowed it down somewhat. I have spent the last day or two taking test rides, and it looks like it's coming down to either the Audi A4, Lexus IS250, or Mazda 6, the latter being in the run more as an economic option than a preference. The Acura ILX was, surprisingly, given my affinity for Acura, not really my cup of tea.

...aaand so it appears that a number of dealers in my area (both the Audi (CarMax) dealer and the Lexus dealer) have surpisingly gone to a fair-prices-posted-no-haggle/negotiation business practice Mad , so the low-mile '15 models that were priced at costs that I thought I could knock 10% off or so to get it around the $30K limit I set for myself are no longer in the game, i.e. the Lexus and Audi, unless I want to start looking at '14s with 25K+ miles on them...which I don't.

Unfortunate...the Lexus IS250 and the Audi 4 were the two top contenders just a few hours ago. But with two kids heading off to college for the first time in the fall, now is not the time to start fudging the family budget.

So now it's shrunk to one of two cars: a '15 Acura TLX with 10K'ish miles -- several similar ones in my area sale-priced at $28K (and I'm confident I can knock that down a bit more) and with a Certified Warranty or, alternatively, a '17 new Mazda 6 for around the same. Both loaded w/ the usual bells and whistles and nav. and back-up camera, etc. So apples-to-apples in that regard, and while I know one is considered luxury and other not, I didn't frankly have any experience with the test-drive of either that would dominate the decision.

Will probably pull the trigger on one tomorrow...any last-minute thoughts and experiences w/ either of these two would be gratefully accepted. I would have to say, though, that I'm leaning in the direction of the TLX.

Does the Acura wagon have the same powertrain as the TLX? I'm a wagon lover.

The car magazine I subscribe to question why Mazda doesn't have more followers. They like how they drive and are pretty reliable.

Like others, $30-35K is beyond my budget, particularly with two kids heading to college in the next 14 months.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Does the Acura wagon have the same powertrain as the TLX? I'm a wagon lover.

The car magazine I subscribe to question why Mazda doesn't have more followers. They like how they drive and are pretty reliable.

Like others, $30-35K is beyond my budget, particularly with two kids heading to college in the next 14 months.

The TSX wagon was only ever offered with the K24 (2.4l I4) & an automatic transmission.
And it is a shame that there aren't more Mazdas on the road. The Mazda6 & Mazda3 that I have driven are great driver's cars; they definitely outshine their Honda/Toyota opponents from a driving dynamics perspective.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
TSX wagon is quick and handles good. Ours is at about 45,000 miles and still on the orig brake pads so that tells how hard it gets driven. Did put a set of Michelin all season tires on it recently to replace the summer treads that came on it.

Wife takes it to the Honda dealer for oil changes. Transmission service drain and fill is under $50 and that's all it's ever needed. I'm 6' 200lb and long waisted. I've got enough room and am comfortable driving. Backseat isn't torture and there is a surprising amount of cargo room with seats up and, obviously, more with them folded flat. Easy car to live with.

The 2.4L I4 is about as bulletproof as any Honda engine ever and TSX is basically a 4 cyl Accord wagon with a lot of gadgets and gingerbread.

it has the boy racer buttons on the steering wheel to manually shift the auto transmission but why bother. Had a Lexus GS400 that had them and I thought they were a joke there, too.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a Honda Civic hatchback with a 6 speed? Not quite the 200 HP requirement, but can be had for well under the 30K limit with lots of bells and whistles. 180 isn't bad for something that size.

Or, there's always the Honda Civic Type R. A bit over 30K, but, at 306 HP, I bet it'd be a hoot to rip around in.

Good luck all the same, and hope you find a vehicle you can like and suits you.

Posts: 795 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I bought the car last night...as mentioned in my last post, I winnowed my choices down to the TLX and the Mazda6, and this is what now sits in my garage, a Acura Certified 2016 (not '15) Acura TLX with Tech Package, black inside and out, 14K miles:

Very pleased with my decision, to say the least.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks great, I4 or V6?
Wheels, IIRC, indicate 4cyl?