SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to buy a car...for 1st time in my life, not sure what I want. Any suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to buy a car...for 1st time in my life, not sure what I want. Any suggestions? Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You want a truck. Despite having said you have no practical need for one, you wouldn't have mentioned a truck if you didn't want a truck. You also said no SUV because soccer mom. Which means the mini-van is probably also out. You want a truck.

I'd look at a crew cab Ford F-150, probably an XLT in your price range. I looked at the new crew cab Super Dutys in June and they have a ton of room relative to my 2015 F-350. The F-150 and Super Dutys now share the same cab. I just did a quick search on autotrader.com and there are 2,370 new 2017 Ford F-150 crew cabs for under $35,000. Many of them were under $30,000.

My dad just bought a new Tacoma and it was right around $35,000. Roomy is not a word I would use to describe it.

Yes, I keep hearing the interior of the Tacoma's a bit snug...since roominess is the reason for the truck consideration, that kind of negates that model for me. A truck came to mind because I wanted some interior room, some elbow room, and the low visibility and snug quarters of the sedan isn't very appealing after getting used to the roominess of the MDX. Guess that's why the Acura TLX isn't a slam dunk. Plus, I wanted something kinda sporty, a bit masculine, after driving that SUV for almost a decade. The truck gives me room, height and the rest of it.

I have to say, though, if $$ had no bearing, I sure like the Range Rover Evoque, just on looks alone. Yes, it's a SUV, but what an SUV:

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
V6 Accord, 2017 will be the last year for one, and deals will likely be coming as the 2018 refresh is imminent. Comfy, quiet, plenty of power, about as reliable as they come.

If you want a pickup the new Ridgeline is really slick.

If AWD is something you want I'd take a serious look at an Outback 3.6R.

In a similar vein, the 2017 F150s should have some decent discounts with the refreshed 2018s hitting lots soon.
IIRC, the 302A XLT with the 2.7EcoBoost had the biggest discounts/rebates when I got mine.
Depending on your down payment ability, they may just top over your budget. Seems a 2WD 302A XLT Sport stickers in the 48k range. I got mine around 10k off sticker.

Alternatively, looking a year or two back used, could easily get you in budget.
My 2wd 2.7 crew F150 gets between 18-20mpg daily driven in Houston.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Toyota Avalon would be a great replacement and checks all your boxes.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The newest v6 Camry you can afford. If you decide on a truck, go drive an F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. It will surprise you.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the fascination with trucks as daily drivers. Just seems like a waste of perfectly good wheel base to make half the vehicle uncovered and separate from the passenger compartment. Having a longer vehicle to park and maneuver when it's empty all the time just seems so...meh. Good for hauling farm and building materials, but I think an SUV makes a more practical daily driver. But that's just me, not hating on anyone who loves their truck.

If the OP is considering a truck simply because it's more "masculine", then perhaps the OP should also consider truck based or body-on-frame SUVs. A car based Acura MDX does not fall into the same "sport utility" category as a body-on-frame Toyota Land Cruiser, 4Runner, G-Wagon, etc.

Considering the above mention of the Land Rover Evoque...perhaps the OP might also consider a lightly used Land Rover LR4?

Land Rovers do not hold value very well. Consequently, you can get a lightly used one for pretty much dirt cheap.

For $35k you could get 3 or 4 year old LR4 with 45-60k miles on it. LR4s are highly capable vehicles, despite the fact that many never leave the payment.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
35k?

Go get a Hundai Genessis and don't look back.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Subaru Legacy 3.6R.
Seems to tick all the boxes.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
In Washington? You gotta be tripping over all the WRX cars around.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Test drive a GTI Autobahn. Report back on your feelings.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
In Washington? You gotta be tripping over all the WRX cars around.

Don't know about that, but I don't think you could throw a baseball and not break the window of a Tesla around this Eastside area of Seattle. Good-looking cars, mostly, but not for me (budget or otherwise).

Thanks again, folks, for the many suggestions. I should be home shortly, and my research on all these will start.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. wants to get out of her truck. She is looking at the VW Atlas and is waiting on the new Subaru coming out later this year.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've test driven a couple Mazda6 a few years ago & had it in the running to replace my 2000 Acura TL. The Touring trim with a manual 6 speed was a peppy & fun car to drive.

Been in one of these. Good choice, good price, from what I saw.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Lexus GS350 - used, best option, roomy, fast, and rear wheel drive, surprisingly nice and fun

Lexus IS250/200t/350 - used, another great option if the smaller size works, a great handling car, rear wheel drive, fun

Honda Accord Touring (V6) - can get brand new for $35K, nice value, not quite the fun factor but gets it all done nicely

Good luck!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a one year old car, if someone is getting rid of a car after only a year, there is clearly something wrong with it 98% of the time. I'd spring for the new one, all wear items are new, warranty is full length and financing interest rate much cheaper so it costs the same to buy new as one year old 99% of the time also.

That being said, just go test drive everything on your list.....we can't really advise you on what car to buy. That being said I wouldn't touch an Audi with a 10' pole or a VW for that matter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 A3. I've had it since new - about 22 months now and have put about 22k miles on it. It is a fantastic car for daily driving.

It has been flawless for me and it is a joy to drive around town or on long drives. I average mid to high 20s for mpg. On the highway it is easily 30+.

The 2.0 turbo engine is responsive and well tuned in this car for normal or spirited driving. The quattro awd is nice for bad weather.

This is a sporty compact sedan. Emphasis on compact. If you're looking for a roomier vehicle, it may not be a good option for you, but if you are ok with the interior dimensions, it is a great car.

Avoid the Q3. It's too compact for a suv and is underpowered. It is zero fun to drive.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
My mother traded her Q5 on a Q3 and thinks it's the best of the 4-5 Audis she's had.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're a candidate for a Ridgeline.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
Stick to what you know, Acura or Honda.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5057 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I looked in to most of the suggestions offered, and explored a bit more on my own, and have narrowed it down somewhat. I have spent the last day or two taking test rides, and it looks like it's coming down to either the Audi A4, Lexus IS250, or Mazda 6, the latter being in the run more as an economic option than a preference. The Acura ILX was, surprisingly, given my affinity for Acura, not really my cup of tea. I haven't discounted the A3 entirely, but do prefer the A4 for handling and a bit more roominess. My wife beat some sense in to me, and made me realize the truck idea just isn't practical for our use at all.

The Lexus gets high marks from most sources for great reliability. Anyone have experience with Lexus, and perhaps the IS250 in particular?

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I can't be any help, I'm afraid--I've never owned anything but a Ford.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post