SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to buy a car...for 1st time in my life, not sure what I want. Any suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to buy a car...for 1st time in my life, not sure what I want. Any suggestions? Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted
So due to family transporation needs and logistics and a car that just gave up the ghost last night (after making noises for some time that was inevitable), I need to get a new car and I need to do so fast, as in this weekend, if possible. But for the first time in my life, I don't have a particular car in mind, one that I really like and am focused on and have researched.

I knew this day was coming, but hoped it'd be a ways yet down the road. But I had given it at least a little thought, and came up with perhaps an Acura TLX, an Audi Q3 or A3, or maybe a pickup (Tacoma? Dodge?) since I drive an Acura MDX and have gotten used to a litte more elbow room than, say, my wife's Mazda CX-5 or our earlier Volvo S60. But I really have no practical need whatsoever for a truck, so it'd be more for aesthetics and roominess than utilitarian. Considered Jeep, but hear the QC on these things -- especially as it pertains to the transmission -- has really fallen.

Current car is a '06 Acura MDX...that one's being relegated to a kid's car to replace the one that died last night. I like Acuras (but not really interested in another MDX or the smaller RDX).

So if anyone wants to throw some suggestions my way, I'd be glad to do a quick Google search on 'em and see if I need to add it to this weekend's car tour, keeping in mind I probably only have time to focus on three or four models in the short timeframe I have. I'd also be glad to listen to any warnings about the models I have in mind (I hear Audis can be mechanically tempermental and parts are expensive...I read some reviews that claim Dodge trucks aren't up to snuff w/ the competition). To be honest, I'm not really sure the purpose of this post, other than I hope it'll help get me focused on what I should and shouldn't look at (heck, I'm not even sure if I'm after a sedan or truck), and, perhaps most of all, open up my mind to some possibilities that perhaps I haven't considered.

Here's what I'd like:

* $35,000'ish budget...so probably a year or two old for most of these models.
* Leather
* At least 200 HP
* Not a fan of domestics, like the general reliability of Japanese models (i.e. Acura, Mazda, etc.), like the clean European styling of the Audis and German (e.g. VW, BMW) cars
* Don't really want the SUV or mini-SUV platform (save for the Q3, which has caught my eye) as I drove this MDX for nine years (and would like to ditch the 'soccer mom' vibe Roll Eyes ) and my wife drives a CX-5, but do appreciate the ability to cart around stuff and my dog so fold-down seats or similar would be nice...I hear some Audis have a "sportback" hatchback option?
* Reliable, reasonable costs for repair and parts, good review/owners' history, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, or advice offered.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Mazda 6 with a high trim level?

Honestly there are tons of options given what you're looking for. But I'm a cheap bastard, so 35k for a car is not a bracket I'm too familiar with.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Can I offer some unsolicited advice?

Rent/borrow a car for the next few weeks. There are very few things more expensive than a hasty vehicle purchase.

You'll save way more than the $200-300 or so expense.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you can find any way to borrow a vehichle and not make a "zOMGgottabuyacarrightnow!!!111.com" mistake, that would be a good thing.

Not saying that you cannot or willnot find the right vehichle, but the more vehichles you look at and dealers you encounter, the more you will realize what you think you need and want, and when it right for you is farther apart than where you are today.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ridgeline?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Can I offer some unsolicited advice?

Rent/borrow a car for the next few weeks. There are very few things more expensive than a hasty vehicle purchase.

You'll save way more than the $200-300 or so expense.

I actually had given this idea some thought...I tend to research these types of things to death, so a hasty purchase is way out of my comfort zone. I'd still like to give it a shot this weekend, but I am keeping this idea in mind as a backup if I just can't pull the trigger on something with reasonable assurance that I'm doing the right thing.

Mazda 6: Thanks, it is on the Thinking-About-It list...while her car doesn't do much for me, my wife loves her CX-5 so figured the 6 might be worth a look.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've test driven a couple Mazda6 a few years ago & had it in the running to replace my 2000 Acura TL. The Touring trim with a manual 6 speed was a peppy & fun car to drive.

Similarly with the 2.5l Mazda3, a bit quicker & more nimble due to being smaller/lighter.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
4Runner?
Used Lexus GX?
Used TLX Wagon?
Used A4 All Road?
Used 3 series wagon or X1?

Q3 is not a great car. Very cheaply built inside.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If you want to go a little older you can get a 2013-14 Acura TL with less than 40k miles for about $16k

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great info here

https://www.cargurus.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Subaru Legacy 3.6R. Symmetrical AWD for the win. Well within your budget, even for an up-trim model.

Used Audi Allroad. Bring back the station wagon.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
2017 Honda CR-V touring 32,000 plus wa tax, awd.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys...please keep 'em coming...lots of cars I hadn't thought of. I'm making a list, and will check it twice tonight.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I was split between a Subie (Outback or Forrester, but would have gone w/ the Outback for the nicer finish) and a Jeep Cherokee.

For a couple of reasons I went with the Jeep, but given your criteria, I'd definitely (probably) go for the Outback w/ the 3.6.

There are some great videos and other info here:

http://www.planetsubaru.com/comparison-links.htm

If you want to talk Jeep transmissions, I'm happy to do that, too, but I'm not sure it's what you're really looking for.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I'd get the TLX. Maybe something like this one:

https://www.garyforceacura.com...wd-19uub1f36ha009019

Good Luck

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You want a truck. Despite having said you have no practical need for one, you wouldn't have mentioned a truck if you didn't want a truck. You also said no SUV because soccer mom. Which means the mini-van is probably also out. You want a truck.

I'd look at a crew cab Ford F-150, probably an XLT in your price range. I looked at the new crew cab Super Dutys in June and they have a ton of room relative to my 2015 F-350. The F-150 and Super Dutys now share the same cab. I just did a quick search on autotrader.com and there are 2,370 new 2017 Ford F-150 crew cabs for under $35,000. Many of them were under $30,000.

My dad just bought a new Tacoma and it was right around $35,000. Roomy is not a word I would use to describe it.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Go to Carmax if you have one in your area. You don't have to buy from them but they probably have the largest selection of all makes so you don't have to travel from dealership to dealership to try different ones.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Couple year old coupe E550. Like this: http://www.malonesauto.com/201...tta-GA-30067/6224105

Got a few years but miles are very manageable. To me, Merc beats the crap out of every Audi I've driven.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Go to Carmax if you have one in your area. You don't have to buy from them but they probably have the largest selection of all makes so you don't have to travel from dealership to dealership to try different ones.
Yup. That's what I did a few months ago. Did not end up buying from CarMax, but I was able to prune my list to a couple of choices, then went shopping for those.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
V6 Accord, 2017 will be the last year for one, and deals will likely be coming as the 2018 refresh is imminent. Comfy, quiet, plenty of power, about as reliable as they come.

If you want a pickup the new Ridgeline is really slick.

If AWD is something you want I'd take a serious look at an Outback 3.6R.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post