SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet Pioneers: Sigforum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet Pioneers: Sigforum? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Sigforum was in there with GT and ARF back in 2000 - 2001. What Sigforum didn't do was become heavily commercialized. No banner ads. No membership fees. No strange and shifting connections to various players in the industry. No attempts to monetize on the big socials sites. Few-to-no attempts to tie the site tightly with certain vendors or firearm platforms because the Sigforum site owners know those boats rise-and-fall with the industry hype cycle and management du jour.

The pioneering spirit here has been the consistent and unwavering focus on quality discussion. It is in keeping with the true spirit of how the internet and then Web 2.0 were founded. Collaboration without the clutter and hype. Sigforum isn't the biggest. It's the best. For this, I am very grateful to lbj and para for this beautiful island.

This. Absolutely this. I started browsing the forum back around 2003, but didn't join until 2006. I still don't post all that much compared to some, but I'm on here almost every day. The quality discussion and informative topics are great. I like the community, but I also love the format.

I grew up in the 90s. I remember how the internet used to be...simple and collaborative. Yeah, sites were ugly, but you could find what you were looking for. Nowadays I hate going to most sites because I get bombarded with ads that try to get around my adblocker, or the site itself yells at me for blocking the ads. And if they're not obsessed with ads, it's all about flashy graphics and multimedia, to the point that you have to dig to find the content.

This place is different. It's a site that I can come to and relax, laugh, and learn without being bombarded with all the senseless unwanted crap. It's one of the few holdouts left from the good old days. Thanks LBJ and Para for keeping this place what it is.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Yes, Para ran them both when I started here in 01. I joined the S&W forum the day before this one. They are still the main ones I look at daily.

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Weren't Smith-wessonforum and Sigforum somehow related at one time? I bought my first online pistol which was like my 3rd overall gun from Ordnance Outsellers on this forum. It was a Sig 229R 9mm CPO.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the early to mid 90's they used to be called message boards. When I had a Mazda Miata they had the Miata board back then in 1996. I also had a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and was a member of that board back then at 1996 which both still exists today. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

It's just so romantic sounding, pioneer.

Just not Donner party type of pioneering. Wink

R.I.P. packing.org

Ha! That's how I found SIGforum. I joined packing.org in 2003 or so when I was looking into getting my first pistol. They kept talking about this place like it was The Holy City or something.

They were right Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

SIGforum is indeed an oasis. I did not join until 2006. But I was involved with the transition from BBS --> Internet forum era. I ran a BBS in the late '80's/early 90's, and when the WWW came along, the best ones migrated to the new web. I can still access some of my fellow BBS nodes that are now WWW sites. SIGforum is my favorite and perhaps the best out there.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Wait, para has a phone???

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Para ran them both when I started here in 01.

Yes, I recall facing something of a 'migration' crisis of my own at the time. While S&W was my main revolver interest, it took some time & a couple of thwarted attempts to finally figure out how to sign up for Sigforum. Gradually developed a taste for the type of humor, an understanding of Sig model variation, and an appreciation for political opinion served neat, properly like a decent whiskey.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:

And...I've heard it's RED Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

And...I've heard it's RED Wink

Ohhhhh, so it's one of those rotary dial versions. It's all making sense now...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The only older forum I have been involved with is slashdot. However even with moderation that forum is chaos.

I believe it is the moderators and the respect that each of us has for the other that makes it successful. Sigforum truly is a pioneer in this format. There were newsgroups that went back further but those are so overwhelmed they were nearly useless. But in the modern Bb format, yes, I know of no other community like this one.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

He has one, but its buried somewhere under his huge stack of floppy disk that he uses to back up the forum.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
Whether considered pioneers by the public at large or not, I can say this much:

SigForum without a doubt has the highest quality members as a whole of any forum (or group of people anywhere, for that matter) that I have ever seen - and that's saying quite a lot.

You guys have been here for me and my family during some of the hardest parts of our lives, and I don't forget. SF has also been a part of some of the most intelligent conversation I have ever seen on a forum.

Thank you Para, for starting (and maintaining) the absolute top-notch firearms discussion forum around, bar none.

I tip my hat to you, sir. And to all of you here at SigForum.

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
I hung around a few USENET groups back in the day

A few of us go back to the days of CompuServe and 300 baud modems.

Modems? We had to mail punch cards, and like it! Wink

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
Whether considered pioneers by the public at large or not, I can say this much:

SigForum without a doubt has the highest quality members as a whole of any forum (or group of people anywhere, for that matter) that I have ever seen - and that's saying quite a lot.

You guys have been here for me and my family during some of the hardest parts of our lives, and I don't forget. SF has also been a part of some of the most intelligent conversation I have ever seen on a forum.

Thank you Para, for starting (and maintaining) the absolute top-notch firearms discussion forum around, bar none.

I tip my hat to you, sir. And to all of you here at SigForum.

This.....times the speed of light. I consider it both an honor and privilege to be a small part of this community.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 80's my friends and I had BBS systems.
My friend Phil had Moonlight BBS and I had Moonbase Alpha BBS.
Complete with a chat feature and a marketplace for selling tech stuff.
The very first forum I joined was MacMonkey.
I think that was 1997.

I think SigForum is one of the longest lived.
Others I've joined have come and gone.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it's a pioneer as I did not join until 2005 while looking for a P229.

What I do know is that this is the most unique group I've ever been a part of. I don't think there is any question that can't be answered by a member here.

You become friends with people you never even meet. The member quality here is incredible.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I began discovering forums through my changing interests. I joined Bladeforums in 1999 when I became interested in more modern folding knives. It's still an active forum but I rarely ever go there. I've joined quite a few firearms forums including S&W forum as I was acquiring some J frame revolvers. A short while later my interests turned toward SIG P220 pistols and I joined this forum. I no longer own any SIG pistols but I still come here every day. It's the place that's held my interest the longest and continues to. There's just "something" about it.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First gun board I was on in the early 1990s was the Machinegun News board. When the
magazine folded, FJ Vollmer made a board. That folded and Tom Bowers started the
Subguns Board. Around that time Buddy Hinton started the Sturmgewher board.
Those were the first gun message boards.

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I was reading and posting on a hunting list in 1993 on a DOS looking text looking screen using a 28k dial up modem. The fact that this is still here and in basically the same format is pretty amazing. This is the first forum I ever really joined.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post