SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet Pioneers: Sigforum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet Pioneers: Sigforum? Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My God, where to start...where is a cat thread with over 2 million views, where is a forum that has so many good photos for viewing of all subjects, where can you find this kind of humor, or camaraderie among members. Where can you find such a finely tuned management that allows good debate. Where can you find a more generous group of supporters that basically care without reservation about folks that are troubled at times. And talk about problem solvers and responsible good advice. Thats just the tip of the iceberg too Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
My God, where to start...where is a cat thread with over 2 million views, where is a forum that has so many good photos for viewing of all subjects, where can you find this kind of humor, or camaraderie among members. Where can you find such a finely tuned management that allows good debate. Where can you find a more generous group of supporters that basically care without reservation about folks that are troubled at times. And talk about problem solvers and responsible good advice. Thats just the tip of the iceberg too Smile

With over 83,000 members!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I looked at the first gaming forum I was apart of, that was made in 2001 when the internet was just catching legs and 56k was "fast". I am fairly certain that was when cable internet came out but still pretty damn early for internets sake. 1999 not many people had the web.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

It's just so romantic sounding, pioneer.

Just not Donner party type of pioneering. Wink

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I hung around a few USENET groups back in the day. I think those groups, in their format, were precursors to todays forums.

There has always been a campfire or front porch to hang out at, in one format or another.

This is a good one.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
There is a military forum I post on that goes back to 2008. Similar to here, there are zero ads. The difference being that ownership seeks $200 per month in donations to keep the site operational.

A true testament to the generosity of Sig Forum's ownership to permit the use of this site for so many years, and to the best of my knowledge, not accept any funds in trade.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Para almost died of dysentery when he built this place, after fording the river. (computer servers in covered wagon)

Mayonnaise poisoning, it was bad mayonnaise.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
This is the only forum I frequent that has lasted the test of time. It's better today than it was back in 2002. I can't say that about any others.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Sig Forum is an oasis in the desert that is the interwebs.
I'm really glad it's here.

lbj and para - how did you guys meet? I don't think I've ever heard that story.
Care to share that?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a pioneer.

And I believe it is super because it has stayed the same format - simple and effective.

Easy to navigate. Basic but extremely efficient.

So much tech eventually becomes irrelevant because of unnecessary 'updates' and bloated, unusable features.

Information is power and wisdom comes from perspective.

You can get both info and perspective here. It's entertaining also!

Hats off to Parabellum.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Weren't Smith-wessonforum and Sigforum somehow related at one time? I bought my first online pistol which was like my 3rd overall gun from Ordnance Outsellers on this forum. It was a Sig 229R 9mm CPO.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Time sure flies by. Over 83,000 members now. Quite an achievement, entirely due to Para and lbj setting and maintaining a steady course and selecting moderators who share their wisdom and commitment. The fact that they all continue to do it for free, no charge and no advertising, speaks volumes about their dedication. Most would have found the lure of money hard to resist by now, but then we wouldn't be like the family we've become.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hung around a few USENET groups back in the day

A few of us go back to the days of CompuServe and 300 baud modems.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few of us go back to the days of CompuServe and 300 baud modems.

Holy way-back-machine, Batman!

Compuserve. Wow, have not thought of that in probably two decades (or more?) Eek

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Rennlist (a Porsche forum) was started in 1998 as an email list. Not sure when it began using forum-based software.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I joined Assaoultweb about the same time I joined SF. Still go there, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

It's just so romantic sounding, pioneer.

Just not Donner party type of pioneering. Wink

R.I.P. packing.org

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Like someone else, I frequented Usenet groups before ever seeing anything like this board. Usenet groups were somewhat different in that they could mostly be programming or gaming oriented. Also text based as I remember and a VT100 terminal was all you needed. I learned a lot of C coding by picking up source code from the sources lists. Also learned a new scripting language called PERL. Even chatted with a guy named Larry Wall back then. That was back around 1984. Web browsers were pretty crude by comparison, so there wasn't much style to those groups either. Absolutely no search function either. Yeah, I'd say SigForum was pioneering.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Pioneering of the modern forum absolutely.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Mayonnaise poisoning, it was bad mayonnaise.

How many are going to know that reference? Smile

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post