SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet Pioneers: Sigforum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet Pioneers: Sigforum? Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
I was talking with para on the phone today and he brought up the idea that Sigforum may have been one of the early pioneers of discussion boards in a modern format on the internet.

I think what he told me has merit. We have been around since about 2000.

Is sigforum one of the early pioneers of the modern discussion boards?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure proud to be a long term member!

Long live SIGforum!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I can say that we have always wanted to be unique in all the world.
Personally, I think all of us have accomplished that.

But were we pioneers?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
GlockTalk, The Firing Line, SIG-L and the various other lists came before us, but in archaeological terms, say a century from now, yes, we were pioneers.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know when the first discussion boards popped up, but I'm a member of another car-related board that's also been up since 2000, and is coincidentally run similarly to SIGforum with no ads and a minimum of drama mostly as a result of having a zero tolerance policy for bullshit.

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
GlockTalk, The Firing Line, SIG-L and the various other lists came before us, but in archaeological terms, say a century from now, yes, we were pioneers.

It's like we were part of a wagon train or something then. Maybe eating a little dust of those just ahead of us.
Fortunately we weren't headed to California.

I always wanted to be a pioneer. It would be cool if we were.
It's just so romantic sounding, pioneer.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Need to put 'Legendary' in front of Quality Firearms, Quality Discussion.

Or, Quality Firearms, Pioneering Discussion.

Para's new CUT: The Christopher Columbus of Internet Discussion. Razz

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I was part of a couple dating back to 1998/99, but those years were the pioneering days of the modern internet forum.

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
para was involved in the forum before I was.
It seems to me though, that we were running this forum and evolving it by 2001.

This place was a tiny hole in the wall back then.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I know lbj said I should never post in a thread he's started but I wanted to add that this is the longest running popular forum I've been a part of. There is one other that has been around just as long and was a pioneer in its own genre of PC gaming, but has since decline to the point where there are only 10 members left and none of us posts there but a couple times a year.

This has been an extremely successful forum. So kudos to you, lbj, and para.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
SIGforum was the first forum I joined.

I found it to be an amazing place to visit, but did not have a lot to compare it to.

All these years later, I think it is even more amazing that SIGforum remains true to form, as it was back then.

No fee to be a member and still no advertising, or annoying pop ups.

Thank you Para, lbj and everyone else responsible for making SIGforum such an incredible place to visit.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Sigforum was in there with GT and ARF back in 2000 - 2001. What Sigforum didn't do was become heavily commercialized. No banner ads. No membership fees. No strange and shifting connections to various players in the industry. No attempts to monetize on the big socials sites. Few-to-no attempts to tie the site tightly with certain vendors or firearm platforms because the Sigforum site owners know those boats rise-and-fall with the industry hype cycle and management du jour.

The pioneering spirit here has been the consistent and unwavering focus on quality discussion. It is in keeping with the true spirit of how the internet and then Web 2.0 were founded. Collaboration without the clutter and hype. Sigforum isn't the biggest. It's the best. For this, I am very grateful to lbj and para for this beautiful island.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post

Para almost died of dysentery when he built this place, after fording the river. (computer servers in covered wagon)

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Para almost died of dysentery when he built this place, after fording the river. (computer servers in covered wagon)

The first thing that came to mind was how Para describes PSA's shipping logistics. Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

A different way of looking at it:

Of the pioneers who started the race, who is still running it the same way?

I don't know about the Firing Line, but of the others, Sigforum has changed the least--which means it was a very successful model to being with. SIG-L isn't around anymore and Glocktalk, well, it's definitely not what it used to be.

When does a forum change so much that it's nothing more than a namesake?

When forums like HKPro and Snipers Hide changed ownership, IMO their credibility counter starts over.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

A different way of looking at it:

I don't know about the Firing Line, but of the others, Sigforum has changed the least--which means it was a very successful model to being with. SIG-L isn't around anymore and Glocktalk, well, it's definitely not what it used to be.

How I look at it, also. Every single one of them is commercialized, except SF, and some so heavily that you can't even find the posts.

Q

Posts: 26317 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Sig Forum is in my top 3 favorites.
http://www.usrifleteams.com and http://www.bullseyeforum.net/ are the other two

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
LDD's points are good.

I've been part of a lot of forums since they weren't. IOW, the old Bulletin Board format and stream of mail, God bless us.

I've seen a lot around a long time in variety of genres, but most come and go, or evolve/dwindle more dramatically over time. Other than the occasional danger times in sleep deprivation modes or 2008 election era, this is remarkably consistent and unique.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to know what inspired Para (and others?) to start Sigforum. Maybe he will share the story with us. I've never read about it if it's ever been posted.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post