SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about losing your tonsils in your 40s
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tell me about losing your tonsils in your 40s Login/Join 
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Had mine out in my early 40's. Thought I would go back to work a day or so following surgery. Nope, more like a week. and then it seemed too soon.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
My buddy and coworker (38 y/o) just got his out and today was his first day back. He is considered a best case recovery scenario at 13 days.

The first couple of days weren't that bad, heavily medicated, no talking, in and out of sleep. The real pain started when the scabs formed. That lasted about a week. He's been off narcotics for about 3 days, managing any pain with Tylenol.

The diet was not fun. Liquids, broths, and soft foods. No dairy. He lost about 20lbs

Hope that helps. Happy to relay any questions.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Probably ain't gonna get no little toy stagecoach, neither.

Oh man you had me excited for a second..

Well all of these stories sound super fun! My tonsils are permanently swollen, so now every little sickness makes them swell more and I get excruciating sore throats that cut off my throat. Makes eating anything tough. I'm not sure it's worth going through though. And no stagecoach really sucks

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
So, I'll follow up by saying he said it was totally worth it even though he didn't get a stagecoach. He was a chronic snorer before, now no snoring. He would also get tonsillitis or strep 4 to 5 times a year because of them.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I could use the losing 20 pounds part....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never thought of myself as a particularly rugged guy. I had mine out at 35 on a Friday and went back to work on the following Monday. That's been a number of years ago and I don't recall it as any big deal. I've read that bad tonsils put additional strain on the heart. If that is true, it would be another good reason for getting rid of them.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I had mine out in my late 30s. During the 3 week recovery I almost died twice due to blood clotting in the back of my throat.

The second trip to the ER included the wife mostly carrying A pretty much unconscious me into the ER and a 3 day stay.

The payout from it has been worth it and I would do it again but it was a few weeks of hell.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Doc has been saying they have to go for a long time, but I've been avoiding it. How bad is getting your tonsils removed when you are in your 40s?

Wife had hers done at 47. Not gonna sugar coat it, it wasn't fun. Her quality of life is much better now, though so it was worth it.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The longer you wait, the more stagecoaches you'll need.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had mine (and adenoids) out at 5 or 6 also. In the 1950's, a T&A was a pretty routine operation for kids. It's amazing how many medical personnel today don't get the T&A reference.

Bill Cosby performed an amusing routine on his 1966 album Wonderfulness about having his tonsils removed.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
At 66 I had my first known bout with tonsillitis two weeks ago. Felt lousy for a week, still taking amoxycylene (sp?).

Thought it was strep throat....have only had that once before.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
If you do it, I will send you a toy stagecoach.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I remember I had ice cream, too. Vanilla.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
If you do it, I will send you a toy stagecoach.

quote:

That probably won't ship well from FL.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
If youre going to get them out, ask about any other ENT issues you might have. Better to have everything done at once....tonsils, adenoids, turbinates, etc. I had it done around 30 and yes, it sucked royally although the liquid hydrocodone did the trick with easing pain and knocking you out to sleep. Wanna see pics? Big Grin

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Report This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Had mine out at age 3 & hemhorraged, so they "packed me" & stopped the surgery immediately. Went back 6 or 7 years later to have the rest of the adenoids removed & after that the excrutiating ear pain went away. Fun days.... Gosh, I wish I could go back & do all that over again (NOT!!)

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Get a second opinion from ENT in another practice. It is major surgery for an adult.

As it is for children. More children die from tonsillectomies than any other "standard procedure."

It was a 3 week nightmare when our 3 year old had them out last year. I have never felt so horrible for making a decision in my life.
The poor little guy was in so much pain for 3 weeks straight. Had to force feed him with a syringe.

As others have said it is supposed to be worse for adults.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember the uncle I never liked bringing me potato chips..wish I had a stagecoach, would have busted it on his head.

And back then, it was chloroform or ether. For the mask...

Why is it less of an ordeal for kids? Size of the tonsils?,

Not trying to scare you, but a younger lady several miles from me, had same surgery, sadly, she hemmoraghed, they couldn't stop the bleeding and she died. But that could happen with any surgery.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Probably ain't gonna get no little toy stagecoach, neither.

Oh man you had me excited for a second..

Well all of these stories sound super fun! My tonsils are permanently swollen, so now every little sickness makes them swell more and I get excruciating sore throats that cut off my throat. Makes eating anything tough. I'm not sure it's worth going through though. And no stagecoach really sucks

Hit me up in email if you decide to do it and I'll Instant Karma you a stagecoach. Big Grin

Dammit man, Paragon beat me to the punch.

Seriously, good luck with whatever you decide/

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Had mine out last year at age 40.
When the surgeon tells you "it's going to be really painful" (as opposed to the usual "you will feel some discomfort") you know you're in for a rough time.
It's a nasty two weeks but crushed ice is your friend and it will do wonders for your waistline :-)

Posts: 277 | Location: Malta, Europe | Registered: January 03, 2007Report This Post