SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about losing your tonsils in your 40s
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tell me about losing your tonsils in your 40s Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Doc has been saying they have to go for a long time, but I've been avoiding it. How bad is getting your tonsils removed when you are in your 40s?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not sure, I had mine out at 16, which is considered late. I lost 30 pounds, to painful to eat.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Probably not a lot worse than losing them at age 4, and very likely a whole lot easier since medical procedures have advanced so much since the end of WWII.

I only had one choice of ice cream flavors as I recall. You may face a very tough decision.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here is Dr. Weil's take on taking out your tonsils:

https://www.drweil.com/health-...to-take-out-tonsils/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was five or six and I remember the mask being placed over my face before surgery, then waking up in a hospital room with a really sore throat and a little toy stagecoach, complete with horses, driver and passengers sitting on the table next to my bed.

I looked over at my mother and she said "Kid, you'll be glad you didn't wait until your 40s to have them out."

No wait, that was the doctor who said that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had hers out in her mid 20's and it was a really bad couple of weeks. Some of the problem was because she found out that she had a mild allergy to the pain medicine that they gave and it caused her to vomit every time she ate, so on top of having scabs in the back of her throat, she was also throwing up. I think she lost at least 15 pounds in 2 weeks. Also after about a week you will think you are feeling better, but then the scabs fall off Eek then you will really know what pain feels like.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Report This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to lie to you...I had mine out at 45 years old and it wasn't fun at all. Took two weeks off work and I still wasn't back to normal after that. The procedure caused several other issues I'm still dealing with and I'm now 49.

I developed TERRIBLE vertigo after the surgery. I don't know if it was coincidence but doctors seem to think it is related as the onset was right after the surgery. Possibly from being moved around while under anesthesia. I thought it was lingering effects from the anesthesia, however, it was later diagnosed as BPV.

I've also developed a chronic cough which started right after the healing process was done (about three weeks after the surgery). It feels to me like there is some kind of skin flap or something back there that tickles all the time. I'm always hacking at the worst possible times. Doctors can't figure it out.

I would not do it again if I could go back in time.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Probably ain't gonna get no little toy stagecoach, neither.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Probably not a lot worse than losing them at age 4, and very likely a whole lot easier since medical procedures have advanced so much since the end of WWII.

I only had one choice of ice cream flavors as I recall. You may face a very tough decision.

"Probably?"
"Very likely?"
I had mine out at about 35. The doctor warned me it would be brutal. I've always considered myself to have a high pain tolerance. I'm a great patient. The first day was a piece of cake. I could have gone right back to work. The next 14 days were pure hell. It was like the worst sore throat you could imagine. My doctor said it's significantly worse for adults.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I got mine out in my 20's. As bad as my common bouts of tonsillitis were (I'd get it usually 3 times per year and it would know me out for more than a week at a time...couldn't even swallow my own saliva) the recovery was very painful. At least I lots of liquid codiene and water ice though!

I think a toy stage coach would have taken some of the pain away.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Had mine out in the 5th grade. Fast forward and for years I get the 1 or 2 excruciating sore throats a year. Found a Doctor who said a small piece of tonsil was left over and it gets infected. Now at 56 years old, he said surgery will correct it and he made no bones that it would be a painful recovery. He told me he recently had his done as an adult and said it was painful but he got over it.

Bottom line for me is a short painful recovery will be better than ongoing years of sore throats. Just trying to build up the courage!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine removed in my late 20s - I was sick 7+ times a year throughout my 20s - every time I got a sniffle I'd end up at the doc a month later on antibiotics due to my tonsils - I'd get better and then get sick a week or two later. They finally agreed to take them out.

After I healed I was not sick for over 2 years - Not once. It was wonderful. Recovery was NOT fun. They only gave me tylenol 3 for the pain. I ate nothing but ice cream and applesauce for over 2 weeks. I took two weeks off of work and went back with a still very sore throat - talking was difficult. However, after two weeks it rapidly got better and by the end of the 3rd week I was good as new. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The doc commented that it was good that I got them removed before I was older because recovery is much worse as you age... Around that same time my boss's mom had to have hers out - she was in her late 60s - they would only take one at a time for her and healing was over a month each time.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I remember the worst part was when the giant scabs in the back of my throat came off...the dead tissue kinda hung there for a week, I could feel them move with every swallow.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Had mine out at 35.

Two words

Bru. Tal

Those are the words the doc used.
He said little kids just don't know how bad it is.

Good luck, do what the doc says.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Doc told my wife, who is 47, to not have them removed as the recovery would be brutal. If she did elect to have them removed I am not sure a stagecoach would do it for her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I had my tonsils taken out in my mid-20s as part of a surgery to reduce snoring. As part of the surgery, my uvula and part of my soft palate were also removed.

The soft palate part hurt so bad I never even noticed the tonsils.

I'd still do it again.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
I had mine taken out when I was 44. Didn't notice it that much. Probably because they also took out part of my tongue and the back part of the roof of my mouth.

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I had chronic tonsillitis for years and years and years.

Right after I retired from the Navy, I had a dumbass attack, went snowmobiling while seriously overdressed with the bottom layer being cotton. Opened the snowmobile suit to cool off, caught a chill. Chill became tonsillitis. Tonsillitis became throat abcesses. Abcesses became emergency surgery, 10 days in the hospital, 8 of them in ICU on a respirator and IV antibiotics.

That was in January of '91, I was 40. In April, after I more-or-less recovered from that little escapade, I went back in and had my tonsils removed, which should have happened 30 years prior.

Contrary to the bulk of experiences here, I don't recall that being particularly uncomfortable.

That was 26 years ago and I haven't had anything worse than a mild cold since.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I did not receive my toy stagecoach. Dammit.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a second opinion from ENT in another practice. It is major surgery for an adult.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post