SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ex-cop Michael Slager sentenced to 19 to 24 years for shooting death of Walter Scott in South Carolina
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ex-cop Michael Slager sentenced to 19 to 24 years for shooting death of Walter Scott in South Carolina Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
This case seems like it was so long ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cop-m...ng/story?id=51595376

Ex-cop Michael Slager sentenced to 19 to 24 years for shooting death of Walter Scott

Former South Carolina police officer Michael Slager has been sentenced to 19 to 24 years in prison for the deadly shooting of unarmed black man Walter Scott.

U.S. District Judge David Norton ruled today that the former officer committed second-degree murder and obstruction of justice. The judge's sentencing decision comes after Slager, who is white, pleaded guilty to a federal civil rights offense.

Slager shot and killed Scott on April 4, 2015, while Slager was an officer with the North Charleston Police Department. Witness video that surfaced shortly after the encounter appeared to show the moment Slager fatally shot Scott as he ran away. He was fired from the force after the shooting.

Slager was charged in South Carolina with murder and pleaded not guilty. During the murder trial, Slager's attorney said his client shot Scott because he was in fear for his life. In 2016, the case ended in a mistrial. The state retrial and federal trial were expected to take place this year, but instead, in May Slager pleaded guilty to violating Scott's civil rights in federal court, ending the federal case against him and also resolving the state charges that were pending after the mistrial.

The judge's ruling today followed several days of testimony, including from Feiden Santana, the witness who filmed the shooting, and Judy Scott, Walter Scott's mother.

A sequence of images made from a bystander video shows Officer Michael Slager pursuing and then shooting Walter Scott in North Charleston, S.C. on April 4, 2015.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Dang. Rough times ahead for him.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I watched that video. Can't imagine a scenario where that shooting is legal.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't run from the police. The guy was complicit in his own death. Go ahead and tell me that's not true.

And, Mr. Slager, I submit this to you in all seriousness and without any malice:

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
In the midst of all the questionable shootings that were taking place, there were little to no questions about this one when you watch the video. He fucked up big time. In one bad decision he ended one life and ruined his own(not to mention family and friends on both sides).

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I watched that video. Can't imagine a scenario where that shooting is legal.

I agree.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The officer is LUCKY in the highest sense that he was charged federally and not locally. His life would have sucked in the highest order in a South Carolina prison. He will be in a minimum security club Fed with bankers and senators.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much how I saw this ending.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post