SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best route to become a carpenter Advice needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best route to become a carpenter Advice needed Login/Join 
posted
A friend of mine's son just finished his first semester of college. Perhaps I should say attended. He is adamant about not returning and wants to become a carpenter. What is the best route to go??

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Measure twice. Cut once.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a construction or cabinet building company and start at a low wage. Cabinet building and high end woodwork is very different than house framing, but he will learn from both types of carpentry.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's all about experience.
It's also not the same as it was years ago either (competition from the illegals).
He just needs to get on a crew for a GC and get started working.
When I grew up "construction" as we called it was a legitimate job where crews built houses and made enough to feed their families.
Now days it is more specialized and you won't make decent money until you are on your own.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I would ask him what aspect of building something does he enjoy or what is drawing him to becoming a carpenter and take it from there. If it's being outside and working with his hands I would nudge him one direction. If it's just building something and not necessarily an eagerness to be outside that would make me think of looking into the cabinetry angle. If you have one nearby, the local union hall may be a way to start making in-roads into learning what options are out there.

If his parents can talk him into it, I would recommend taking the time while he is young to go to a trade school if at all possible and learn about the "non-hammer" side of construction. Become adapt at reading plans, typing a competent e-mail, knowing what technology is out there that can be used in construction and if he gets tired of making a buck off of his back he will have some background knowledge for becoming a superintendent or other supervisory type position.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Don't do it. it's miserable cut throat job that is back breaking work, especially framing. time is everything how fast can you get it done for the cheapest price and trust me somebody else will do it cheaper and faster.

I would steer him into becoming an electrician, there is a huge demand and the pay scale is so much better. I kick myself daily wishing I would have made the move when I was younger, several friends of mine are electricians on the high end of the pay scale in industrial controls one is making 250k a year the other 180. I have a huge over head in my cabinet shop and have to deal with the general public daily. it's no fun lifting 90 lb sheets of plywood everyday and you make one mistake and your doing it over for free.

I would never do it again.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I would steer him into becoming an electrician, there is a huge demand and the pay scale is so much better.

Several of the electrician companies around here are so desperate for employees that they're advertising for no experience necessary hiring, with pay and benefits during training.

They'll literally pay you to go to school, then pair you with one of their electricians and pay you during your apprenticeship, then continue to pay you as a full-blown electrician, with increasing pay bumps at each step.

That's pretty tough to beat for a young adult trying to secure a career.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The construction industry is in top gear right now in most places so the timing is good from that perspective.
I agree with others about electrical, plumbing or some other specialty being a better idea than basic carpentry.
The industry (and employment) is very dependent on the interest rates and economy so this may or may not last a long time.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father and grandfather were Union Carpenters with my father just retiring last year.

The biggest drawback was how the pension was done.

I feel my biggest mistake was leaving the Union Trades and going into Law Enforcement. I wish I would have waited to go into LE until later. I also wish I would not have went to college.

I will be honest ever since i returned from Afghanistan I have had maybe two interviews with a Law Enforcement agency after applying to three or four dozen. So after 14 years in LE and Investigations i am going back to the trades but this time as a Sprinkler Fitter, Pipe fitter or Sandblaster.

My best friends son has decided college is not for him and going into automotive repair.

If one so desires to go into the Electrician trade and especially for the Unions, they have the best retirement with stock options, annuities etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

My best friends son has decided college is not for him and going into automotive repair.

He may want to reconsider that. Today's cars don't need grease monkeys and grunt work as much as they need diagnosticians, electricians and other specialties. He should look for a local community college or dealer apprentice program. He should also realize that there is a very large buy in by way of tools and equipment. If he has any plans of having his own shop, basic business and management classes are almost mandatory

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Electrician, plumber, and commercial HVAC/refrigeration are better choices.

Commercial refrigeration pays exceptionally well, and as long as you’re willing to accept the 3AM calls, it is about the best a young fellow can do, financially.

If he wants to have a nice life in general construction, get on a crew, work his way through school while getting a degree in accounting, and become a GC.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who is in the Commercial Building Elevator Trade. This covers escalators too. I'm not sure if its a union job or not, but he said elevator guys do pretty well.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do. My son in law does that.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be that the college he attended has an office/clearinghouse with contact information on careers in the trades or apprenticeship programs.

Additionally, he might check with his’ states employment office as they might have contact information for the various state-licensed apprenticeship programs.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't do it. it's miserable cut throat job that is back breaking work, especially framing. time is everything how fast can you get it done for the cheapest price and trust me somebody else will do it cheaper and faster.

I would steer him into becoming an electrician, there is a huge demand and the pay scale is so much better. I kick myself daily wishing I would have made the move when I was younger, several friends of mine are electricians on the high end of the pay scale in industrial controls one is making 250k a year the other 180. I have a huge over head in my cabinet shop and have to deal with the general public daily. it's no fun lifting 90 lb sheets of plywood everyday and you make one mistake and your doing it over for free.

I would never do it again.

I agree, electricians are in big demand and easier work. HVAC is another area worth pursueing. Both you can make a good living in, in a few years if you go down the right path.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Carpentry (finish) pays good, but you’re not going to start there. That’s 20 years down the road.
Framing, there’s little money left. Illegals and drugged up (meth) white boys are all that frame in this area. I’m sure there are a few exceptions, but they’re the exceptions.

If he wants to build stuff and make amazing money, he should look at a fence business. It’s money hand over fist.

A good drywaller will make a ridiculous amount of money, but shoulders will be done by 40.

If he wants to manage people, get into Supply Chain Solutions. (Warehouse and Distribution Center management). It’s indoor work, relatively easy, pays outstanding, but has a lot of stress.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I would steer him into becoming an electrician, there is a huge demand and the pay scale is so much better.

Several of the electrician companies around here are so desperate for employees that they're advertising for no experience necessary hiring, with pay and benefits during training.

They'll literally pay you to go to school, then pair you with one of their electricians and pay you during your apprenticeship, then continue to pay you as a full-blown electrician, with increasing pay bumps at each step.

That's pretty tough to beat for a young adult trying to secure a career.

that's exactly how it is here in Oregon, my wife works for an industrial electrician company and they cant find any new people to go into the apprenticeship program, lots of no shows for interviews it's just crazy.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
If he lives in areas where there are chemical plants then skilled trades pay well. Most anything requires a 2 year degree but electricians, instrument techs, machinists, analyzer techs pay well and have great benefits. Process Operators work shift work but can easily make 150k a year with overtime. The refineries go through ups and down with oil prices but chemical companies tend to be more stabile depending on what they make. Places like the Houston area tend to pay better since there are so many plants and refineries competing. The problem is that you are limited to working in areas that have that industry. I think craft pay for qualified workers is $45-$50 and hour now.

I stayed in the process analyzer field (which is always short of qualified workers. Many are retiring leaving voids in skilled workers). I have no degree but due to that specialty skill have been able to make a great living with a straight day job and 40 hours a week. There are other good options for people not cut out for college and I am one of those. I made straight A’s in junior college but never finished my degree and four semesters part time was all I could take.

Posts: 4107 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
I would ask him what aspect of building something does he enjoy or what is drawing him to becoming a carpenter and take it from there. If it's being outside and working with his hands I would nudge him one direction. If it's just building something and not necessarily an eagerness to be outside that would make me think of looking into the cabinetry angle. If you have one nearby, the local union hall may be a way to start making in-roads into learning what options are out there.

If his parents can talk him into it, I would recommend taking the time while he is young to go to a trade school if at all possible and learn about the "non-hammer" side of construction. Become adapt at reading plans, typing a competent e-mail, knowing what technology is out there that can be used in construction and if he gets tired of making a buck off of his back he will have some background knowledge for becoming a superintendent or other supervisory type position.

As an owner of a custom home construction company this is spot on advise!

While swinging a hammer and learning to properly cut a compound mitre is an important skill a person who can accurately read a set of drawings and UNDERSTAND THEM is way ahead of the rest of the crowd. After he’s acquired that skill look to hire on to a custom builder even as an apprentice and within 6 months (if he is serious about the career ) he can start rising up the food chain.

My carpenters all made decent living enough to support their families.
BTW the trim carpenters made the most money and the job wasn’t as physically difficult as framing...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post