SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For Those Few Weirdos (Like Me) That Buy Very High End Latptops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Those Few Weirdos (Like Me) That Buy Very High End Latptops Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
Just a heads up. If you are a gamer or someone who like to spend roughly idiotic money on a mobile powerhouse/beast, stay away from the 3K Screens. I had to have mine replaced as apparently all the panels come from one manufacturer. All of the 3K panels seem to suffer from a massively annoying "feature". Every other line of pixels is darker which leads to a noticeable banding effect, not unlike an early CRT. What limited discussions I ran across after the fact suggest that many people don't notice it. I, however, found it very noticeable and distracting. I also usually score very high on those internet color visual acuity tests.

So, I sent my brand new beastie back and had it swapped out for a new 4K screen. It is beautiful and lives up to the potential of the GTX 1080 video card.

There may be a very few of you who care about this, but I thought I would share just so y'all can save a little trouble.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Wow that sucks. How come you are going big on a laptop? Endless hours on Flight
simulator would be my guess! Smile Wouldn't a gaming or workstation type machine be better for you?

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine a laptop is easier to bring along on flight than a full pc setup!

Thanks for the heads up on the screen Otto. I'm looking at going laptop only next year and will probably go high end when I do. This will give me good info when I start my search.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I used to travel all the time for work so I have spent stupid amounts of money on high end laptops.

My current machine is 3 years old with SLI video cards and a quad core processor.

I may be hitting the road alot later in the year so I was eyeing the 1080 laptops with 3K screens.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Wouldn't a gaming or workstation type machine be better for you?

LOL, no flight sims for me. I get enough of that nonsense courtesy of the company. Big Grin I am a power-gamer/photo-video editor and I spend a lot of time on the road. Gaming is a good way to keep from spending lots of money (and calories) in Irish pubs the world over. I also have guys and gals I play with online, and it's a low maintenance way to socialize. A nice desktop would be great if I had a normal life, but you do what you have to.

Also, the this level of laptop has the oomph to drive a large screen when I get home.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have a 30" dell monitor running at 25x16 that I drive with my laptop.

quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Wouldn't a gaming or workstation type machine be better for you?

LOL, no flight sims for me. I get enough of that nonsense courtesy of the company. Big Grin I am a power-gamer/photo-video editor and I spend a lot of time on the road. Gaming is a good way to keep from spending lots of money (and calories) in Irish pubs the world over. I also have guys and gals I play with online, and it's a low maintenance way to socialize. A nice desktop would be great if I had a normal life, but you do what you have to.

Also, the this level of laptop has the oomph to drive a large screen when I get home.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post