SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guys Watch This Heat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guys Watch This Heat Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday it was 105 +/- here. Our fire dept. was just back from working a wreck when we were paged out to a fire in a vacant dwelling. Just as our first truck arrived there was a explosion that rocked the neighborhood. (My house is 3 blocks away and my wife said it shock the house). Anyway needless to say the fire was very hot.

The house next door was also vacant. It sustained moderate damage. The first house was a small four room and was a total loss. It took about 40 minutes to get the fire under control.

Working in 100+ degree heat in bunker gear can take it's toll. Several had to hit "rehab"; me included. You get so involved in what you are doing that you don't realize what is happening to you until someone else tells you. I finally realized I had stopped sweating. I knew what that meant and what came next. I turned over command and headed to "rehab". Some fluids and a little time and I was fine. I knew better but I was so focused on the job at hand that I did not notice what was happening. Everybody please watch yourself!!! with these summer temperatures you can get in bind before you know it.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good advice. Good work and thanks for doing the work.

I hate summer and the heat. I really do.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It’s a job that can be tough and dangerous. And we’re grateful for folks that serve like you.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for what you do.
Oh... I got up early to go shooting. 39 degrees.
Come up and see us. Bring a jacket!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I did industrial firefighting for a few years. It was long enough to know it wasn’t for me. It’s way too strenuous and in the South Texas year it’s unbearable for me. Thanks for your efforts, I’m glad we’ve got people like you doing it.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post