SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My house was burglarized!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My house was burglarized! Login/Join 
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted
Not really sure if this should be in here or the pitch your bitch section but I’ll try to keep the bitching to a minimum in spite of my rage.

Some background, we are in the process of a move to Colorado. I actually started my new job back in October but because of the Covid fraud we are mostly remote, so after training I worked from home in Illinois for 3 weeks and powered through a ton of projects in addition to downsizing and moving. I had to return to Denver after Thanksgiving but the wife and daughter are staying behind to finalize some things and coming to Denver mid month. When I left, the only things left in the house was my gun safe, two old TV’s, some half used paint cans, very minimal furniture for staging, and the lawn mower in the garage. Wife and daughter are staying with the in-laws, realtor thought it would be easier to sell with no one there (Covid again).

Got the call from my wife yesterday morning that someone had broken in overnight. Completely destroyed my safe with a big rock (broke off the key pad and handle and generally beat the shit out of it) but didn’t get in. Took both TV’s, half used paint, lawnmower, the LED light strips that were installed in my daughters room, pissed in the toilet and didn’t flush, and generally ransacked all the empty closets, cabinets, etc.

Fortunately criminals aren’t very smart... cops show up, have a good idea of who it was, walks three houses down the street and there sits my lawnmower! Search warrant didn’t turn up any of my other belongings but the shit bag is a convicted felon who has served time before, on probation, in possession of stolen property (my lawnmower), had dope, and they found something to tie him to another burglary.

So about 6 hours after we reported the burglary, shit bag is back in jai and almost certainly going back to prison. I hope he spends the next 10 years being someones bitch.

Anyone have any good resources I can use to figure out how to get into my safe?

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but before you go through that effort, who makes the safe?

Some manufacturers offer a burglary warranty that will cover the cost to open (if there's anything inside) and to repair and/or replace it due to damage.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your break-in. This is getting worse and worse as drugs continue to permeate our country and the courts continue to just slap hands.

Lack of punishment is condoning this behavior.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. We live 50 miles up north of Denver. Let us know if you have questions or need something.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Yes, but before you go through that effort, who makes the safe?

Some manufacturers offer a burglary warranty that will cover the cost to open (if there's anything inside) and to repair and/or replace it due to damage.

It is Cabelas branded, not sure who actually manufactured it (about 12 years old or so). I can probably retrieve the information from the sticker on the back.

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Call the safe manufacturer, they may cover the cost of a locksmith to enter the safe or may tell him how or where to drill....

And I’m sorry that happened to you, I was a burglary detective for a time and I know nationwide only 13% of them get solved. Kudos to the local PD.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Sorry to hear about your break-in. This is getting worse and worse as drugs continue to permeate our country and the courts continue to just slap hands.

Lack of punishment is condoning this behavior.

And there not keeping them in jail for property crimes due to “Covid”.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
a1abdj, what would have to be done to get into the safe? Cut an access hole in the door to dismantle the lock and pull the locking bolts out?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the safe held up, even if they were amateurs. Perhaps lay it down and go to work with some long pry bars to get it open and recover your possessions, depending on the make of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Save some of the piss water for the cops to check for DNA.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Most of what Cabela's sold was made by Liberty. I could confirm with a photo of the safe. Liberty does offer a burglary warranty, although I don't know how they handle a branded Cabela's safe.

Even with the dial smashed off, it may still be able to be dialed open with an emergency dial. Worst case it would be drilled open, and the extent of that would depend on whether or not any of the internal relocks were fired.

Homeowners insurance will also cover the loss for the full extent: Opening, disposal, replacement, installation of new.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Homeowners insurance will also cover the loss for the full extent: Opening, disposal, replacement, installation of new.

This might actually work out in your favor, getting a new safe bought & delivered in Denver vs. paying the shipping costs to your new home.

Hopefully this works out for you, even through the burglary never should have happened in the first place.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
quote:
...Homeowners insurance will also cover the loss for the full extent: Opening, disposal, replacement, installation of new.

This might actually work out in your favor, getting a new safe bought & delivered in Denver vs. paying the shipping costs to your new home.

Hopefully this works out for you, even through the burglary never should have happened in the first place.

As someone who used to work for an insurance company; don't do this unless the damages will cripple you to repair/replace. A loss on your record will effect you down the road on a future homeowner's policy and between the deductible and loss of discounts you'll usually wind up losing on smaller claims.

But call your agent and speak with them first. They'll let you know what is/isn't covered and what it might do to your rate. They don't always mention it up front because they don't like to look like they're trying to steer you from filing a claim which would be unethical. But if you ask they'll tell you.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
A loss on your record will effect you down the road on a future homeowner's policy and between the deductible and loss of discounts you'll usually wind up losing on smaller claims.

Is a burglary claim held against you by insurance?

I know many (all?) storm-related claims aren't, since it's out of the owner's control.

Unlike something negligent like "I left the tub running and it overflowed" or "I left the stove on and caught the kitchen on fire", the owner's not really at fault for the burglar's decision.

(However, the fact that the home has been vacant for a period might not go over too well with your insurance...)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for all companies but they're usually pretty similar. At the one I worked for (One of the top 5 biggest in the US) essentially any claim counted against you unless it's something they can subrogate for such as a vehicle hitting your house, etc. YMMV and I'd recommend everyone review their policies every so often with their agent to make sure on not only that but what you are/aren't covered for. Some things may surprise you and it's good to know ahead of time.

But I can tell you that I saw many policies that lost their safe homeowner discounts due to wind/hail and other storm related damage.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As someone who used to work for an insurance company; don't do this unless the damages will cripple you to repair/replace. A loss on your record will effect you down the road on a future homeowner's policy and between the deductible and loss of discounts you'll usually wind up losing on smaller claims.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just call your agent for advice. They need to do something for the healthy salary they make. You cannot make a blanket statement for every situation. A lot depends on how long you have had the policy and what kind of risk you are.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of what Cabela's sold was made by Liberty. I could confirm with a photo of the safe. Liberty does offer a burglary warranty, although I don't know how they handle a branded Cabela's safe.

Even with the dial smashed off, it may still be able to be dialed open with an emergency dial. Worst case it would be drilled open, and the extent of that would depend on whether or not any of the internal relocks were fired.

Homeowners insurance will also cover the loss for the full extent: Opening, disposal, replacement, installation of new.

I sent a crappy pic to your email. I very much appreciate your assistance. Thank you

Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
Liberty’s website says that they provide their lifetime warranty to all of their cabelas branded safes. As long as mine is in fact Liberty manufactured, and I suspect it is, it looks like they will take care of it.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
This could have been much worse.
But your safe did it's job and they caught the genius who did it.

But yeah, it still sucks. Hope you get everything back in order and can put it behind you.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who da-fuk steals used paint?!? Eek

Sorry to hear you crossed paths with a scumbag!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post