SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update: Induction out, looking for gas stove recommendations ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: Induction out, looking for gas stove recommendations ... Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
The Breville unit is all you need if you're already cooking on gas.

Induction cooking (IMHO) is inferior to gas with only the exceptions Maladat mentioned above.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Backup for electric stove for me would be the Weber - not just for grilling but I use with cast iron / carbon steel pans frequently. It also has a side burner for pots/pans that I don't use (I like capturing the heat with the cover over the grill like an oven).

Also have a portable butane burner.

That being said, I have a gas stove that is okay but would want induction or better gas stove when I need to replace. Hoping for some good induction unit tips here.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Though expensive, we are taking a serious look at Subzero fridge. Had too many problems with other fridges and don't want any more hassles.

Get ready for fun with the Sub Zero. My experiences have not been favorable. Blown compressors on two different units.

As for the induction cooktop, I truly hated it. Like, absolutely positively hated it. My wife even more so. I am convinced that they are for people who do not cook regularly.

AMEN on the induction....There's a reason they are not used commercial kitchens besides being voluble to impact.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
About a year-and-a-half ago we got my wife a GE Profile™ 30" Smart Slide-In Front-Control Gas Range. She absolutely loves that range! Has yet to have found a single fault with it. She's got serious cooking/baking/what-have-you chops, too.

Just recently she got an email from GE announcing a firmware update that would allow the oven to operate as an air fryer. I've yet to have gotten around to putting the thing on our WiFi network so I can upgrade the firmware.

(Before somebody says "Put your stove on your WiFi network? Are you nuts?", it defaults to operating in read-only mode, so you can't actually control the stove from the WiFi connection. And write mode has to be enabled at the stove, itself.)

Oh, wait... one complaint: The sounder that tells you when things are done (timer, timed cooking, pre-warming complete, etc.) is very soft. She used to be able to hear her old stove even down in the basement. This one is difficult to hear in the next room if the TV's running. But, with WiFi and the app, it'll notify your phone.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You should seriously consider a 'Duel Fuel' Range....It's the best of both worlds. Gas cooktop w/ an Electric Self Cleaning Oven.

I had a GE Profile Duel Fuel Range installed when we built our house in 2006 and it has served us VERY well.

The Oven is a Convection Model and it has a smaller oven/warming drawer on the bottom as well. The nice thing is you get better temp regulation and lots of control options with the electric oven, along with the clear advantages of the gas cook top, which also has the benefit of being functional during a power failure.

Something to consider... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
About a year-and-a-half ago we got my wife a GE Profile™ 30" Smart Slide-In Front-Control Gas Range.

Went to the link ... but said this model is no longer being manufactured.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
You should seriously consider a 'Duel Fuel' Range....It's the best of both worlds. Gas cooktop w/ an Electric Self Cleaning Oven.

I had a GE Profile Duel Fuel Range installed when we built our house in 2006 and it has served us VERY well.

The Oven is a Convection Model and it has a smaller oven/warming drawer on the bottom as well. The nice thing is you get better temp regulation and lots of control options with the electric oven, along with the clear advantages of the gas cook top, which also has the benefit of being functional during a power failure.

Something to consider... Wink

Very good point ... I like this idea !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we chose a slide in from GE's Cafe series. Dual fuel (Gas cooktop, electric oven).

GE Cafe

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
About a year-and-a-half ago we got my wife a GE Profile™ 30" Smart Slide-In Front-Control Gas Range.

Went to the link ... but said this model is no longer being manufactured.

It appears to be available as a new model number. Looks like it's probably this one: GE Profile™ 30" Smart Slide-In Front-Control Gas Fingerprint Resistant Range with No Preheat Air Fry

As for the electric vs. gas oven: I'll have to defer to others. I am not a cook. My wife is pretty damn talented in the kitchen. She has a truck-load of cookbooks, recipes/notes going all the way back to her great grandmother, and is always trying new things. She literally cooks/bakes for the sheer fun of it. She's finding her current oven terrific. (The oven in this model is a true convection oven.)

Perhaps if we'd had 240VAC available at the back of the range we might have gone the dual-fuel route. Dunno.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Taking a serious look at the GE Profile dual fuel ...

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Good gas ovens aren't bad. I've used some terrible ones, but I've also spent a fair amount of time using gas ovens in a big Wolf range and those specific gas ovens are perfectly fine for baking, convection baking, and broiling. Those specific gas ovens maintain temperature well (sometimes a problem with gas ovens) and preheat as quickly or quicker than most electric ovens I have used (often a problem with gas ovens) and don't really have hot spots/cool spots, even broiling (which is a HUGE problem with many gas ovens I have used).

Generally, though, I would agree that electric ovens are a safer option. Even a mediocre electric oven is pretty much fine.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Tier Wolf or Viking close third Thermador

Second Tier Electrolux or GE Cafe line

After that it is all the common household brands,
pick your poison.

My kitchen has a Electrolux gas cooktop and Electrolux double wall electric ovens

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I love the gas ... but our Bluestar has been a nightmare, wished I had done my diligent research first.

Our Bluestar is not self-cleaning and this is a must need for my wife. The burner starters and wires have failed numerous times ... and now the oven thermostat failed. Just ordered and received one yesterday (installing today) for $200. Wife figured needed to do that so we can take our time researching our next stove purchase.

Definitely want top tier ... and will be researching the heck out of it first.

Thanks for all the opinions, ideas and suggestions.

posted Hide Post
I know one fairly serious cook who has a Capital Cullinarian dual fuel range, which he loves. I can’t comment on reliability because he’s the only person I know with one but he is a fan.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All you need to know:

http://theinductionsite.com/

My go-to for all things induction!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Today I finally networked our GE Profile™ 30" gas range (in "read-only" mode--the default).

From our phones and tablets we can now see the status of everything on/in the range, incl. the range-top burners and the oven light. If something's timed, it'll tell us how to completion. Sends notifications when things have completed (e.g.: timer, oven pre-heat, bake times, etc.). I'm even getting notifications on my Apple Watch.

I'm not sure how handy all this will be, but it's pretty cool Smile

Came up and notified me of a firmware update, which I crossed my fingers and installed. Now my wife's kitchen range's oven has an air fryer mode. (That's the main reason I did all this.)

(Much more "smart home" stuff and our home will become self-aware.)

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would not do induction either. G with gas. talk with your local respected appliance source. Betting they will steer you right.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post