SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pappy Boyington on 'To Tell the Truth'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pappy Boyington on 'To Tell the Truth' Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I stumbled on this today. It was fun watching.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat to actually see/hear the man. Of course if you know anything about "Pappy" Boyingon you could tell who it was as soon as you saw the silhouettes at the very beginning. Smile

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Pretty neat to actually see/hear the man. Of course if you know anything about "Pappy" Boyingon you could tell who it was as soon as you saw the silhouettes at the very beginning. Smile

Yeah, he was of short stature. I'm surprised no one on the panel knew that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

Yep. Always been a hero of mine.
As were many of Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A lot of people probably didn't know who he was until the TV show and that was much later.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boyington was also in three episodes of the TV show. He played a USMC General:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Cool photo! One of my favorite TV shows growing up.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Funny to think that just ten years after the war none of those four knew him when 70 years after the war I picked him out immediately.

Lack of 24 hour news I suppose. I often think that it would be nice to go back to that type of ignorance.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Funny to think that just ten years after the war none of those four knew him when 70 years after the war I picked him out immediately.

Lack of 24 hour news I suppose. I often think that it would be nice to go back to that type of ignorance.

I remember To Tell The Truth, even went to see it in the audience as a kid growing up in the 60's. My dad was in the Army in the Pacific but I never heard of Boyington until the TV show in the 70's.

We didn't have access to all the news like today. The TV, movies and much of the war coverage and information about the war was about Europe.

Most of the movies and TV shows were not about the Pacific. I know that was a sore subject with my dad and his friends that fought there, especially the Army soldiers. Everyone seemed to think of Europe as the Army and Pacific as the Marines war. Most of the stories from the far east were about Pearl Harbor, Bataan and the early setbacks, then Iwo Jima, Okinawa and then the bomb. The Generals and Admirals were the big names.

Hogan Heros was as much as many people knew about prison camps. The Great Escape was at least based on a true story.

I know I've learned a lot more about it in the last 20 years.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Met him in Oshkosh at the air show many years ago. Really looked old at that point. He passed away a few years later.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool - his answer of General Chennault gave it away early.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
You can still buy Geritol, BTW.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa, Ralph Bellamy

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post