SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Telephony – old time long distance signaling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telephony – old time long distance signaling Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
In the old days of telephony, inter-station signaling was a sequence of audio tones. A form of in-band signaling, completely different from the digital robbed-bit in-band signaling, which is punctured into the least-significant bit of certain DS0 bytes.

I loved to hear those tones! They were very fast, melodious, enchanting, and mysterious – the music of the telecom elves! I tried to find some instances of them on YouTube, but couldn’t. Maybe someone with better YouTube skills can help.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
this is what you seek:
https://soundcloud.com/evan-do...oorbell/sets/group-1

Look at Evan's entire soundcloud collection if you want something even better. there's a lot there.

https://soundcloud.com/evan-doorbell

or go here and listen to the MP3's
http://www.evan-doorbell.com/rawtapes/longdistance/

if you are on Twitter, go here:
https://twitter.com/evandoorbell

Or, you could just listen to the end of Pink Floyd's "Young Lust" song about 100 times.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-7a5Qmo5c

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I still remember dialing on a rotary and when push button phones took off, making calls dialing without the area code. Simpler times to be sure.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Rotary dialing? How about:

Ernestine, Ernestine, Could you connect me to Bob?
Yes, Bob Parsons, what other Bob do I call?
Thank you.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Or, you could just listen to the end of Pink Floyd's "Young Lust" song about 100 times.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me. Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
B8ZS forever! Cool

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The series of tones your referring to are they the dialing tones that the home phone keying sequence generates?

In the case of faster phone tones sequence generated that must be coming from phone company switchgear doing it automated to patch calls through the interconnected phone network(s).

Suprise to hear the linked audio tones generated and some analog rotary sound generated. I remember that rotary and tone conversion going on back in the day when using push button but with conversion to rotary like signaling.

Some back in the day phone engineers input is needed LOL

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Rotary dialing? How about:

Ernestine, Ernestine, Could you connect me to Bob?
Yes, Bob Parsons, what other Bob do I call?
Thank you.

My Grandad always told a story about just picking up the phone and talking to the operator. One time he looked out the window at work in his small Texas town in the late 1940s and saw smoke rising from from the direction of his house. He picked up the phone and Ernestine the operator picked up, he said, "Ernestine, whose house is that on fire?" She said, I think that's your house Mr. Ibanda!" Grandad raced home in his Ford and saw it was his house on fire. Social media of the day was the operator, she knew everything that was going on around town!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
The series of tones your referring to are they the dialing tones that the home phone keying sequence generates? <snip>

No, entirely different. Listen for the fast tone sequence in the Pink Floyd "Young Lust" video clip posted by radioman above.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
My grandmother told us she thought getting a phone line to the farm was great...until she realized every click she heard was someone else on the party line getting on to listen in.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
B8ZS forever! Cool

And don't set the damned port to AMI and tell me it set to B8ZS

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
B8ZS forever! Cool

And don't set the damned port to AMI and tell me it set to B8ZS

All ones here my brother.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post