SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another question for CPAP users.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another question for CPAP users. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
For sometime now, when I wake up in the morning I have to cough up some rather ropey high viscosity crud. If any of you had that problem, did using a CPAP machine do you any good?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Do you snore, rather heavily?
If so perhaps a sleep study is needed.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure you have to have a sleep study before you get a cpap. They are known to push gunk from the sinus to the throat.. I use a netty pot or take a decongestant when I get stuffy. Otherwise it feels like I cannot breathe

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Not sure stuffiness or snoring is the problem. Sinus drainage may be the reason, but I was wondering if the moisture from the CPAP might make it easier to clear the pipes. Back problems necessitate a good bit of sleeping in a recliner and the problem still occurs after a night of being semi reclined.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Before I had my CPAP, I would often sleep with my mouth open, leading to dried throat and/or mouth. I also had a lot of sinus troubles, as in always catching colds, sore throats, etc. The humidifier on the CPAP seems to really help me. Not only do I sleep with my mouth closed, but my sinuses are much happier. Before CPAP, I would catch cold 3-4 times per year. I have only had 2 colds in the 5 years since I started with the CPAP. Anecdotal only, but I'd say they really do help my sinuses.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post