SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I went to the Toyota dealer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I went to the Toyota dealer Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I have zero experience with CVT transmissions in a car or truck but I'm surprised to hear that many say they aren't durable enough, don't have the performance or cat handle the torque. There are 150-250 hp tractors out the (that's pretty good size) that run CVTs and when it's a choice, that transmission will outperform any of the other choices. I'm sure totally different technology but it's all relative, I would think auto engineers could get it done.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wive's Highlander certainly isn't gutless. It isn't a sports car but it has a pretty good kick for a big heavy SUV. My other two CVT's were in Subaru's which are on the gutless side. However, you stick your foot in either and they respond fine. I don't understand the boat throttle reference.

I wonder if some of you had poor experience when they first became mainstream. I think many, many cars have this style of tranny and they are great. I personally don't want to feel every up shift and downshift. If I did I would switch over to the sport mode and force the shifts myself. No thanks.

Interesting discussion though. Still don't really understand the hate.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have had 3 CVT's by 2 different manufacturers and 0 problems at all. I keep hearing how everyone hates them but I still can't figure out why. They are way better and smoother than the older auto transmissions. What is the hate based on?

Like others above this post, some paired with gutless engines made for a frustrating drive. My experience was with Ford Freestyle. My example - I was at 65-ish on cruise control, started uphill (big hill) and it began to loose speed and over reved the motor to catch up. Cars close by must have thought me a road-rage driver. Stop and go traffic was also a PIA. If you let the car computer decide how to pull ahead it was so slow other cars always got to jump the lane. If you tried to keep on the car in front bumper, you had to gas it bad enough to sound pissed off.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like CVTs because every one I've driven is lazy and requires a ton of throttle to make it do anything.

In regards to the salesman, most of them don't know a lug nut from their own testicle so don't listen to anything they tell you as chances are it will be wrong.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 off road 4x4 manual trans double cab with satellite radio. I paid $1k under sticker. My mileage sucks ass with about 17ish since new. I drive 8 miles on surface streets in the AM And I take a 6 mile freeway drive home. Maybe high teens mileage on a longer freeway road trip. Otherwise no issues in 15 months and 10,500 miles.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I test drove some Audi A4’s, one had a “normal” auto transmission and one had a cvt but both had same turbo 4 engine. The cvt version was a total dog, night and day difference between “normal” auto.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
my current experience with Subaru Legacy with the H4 + CVT + using the damn paddle shifters when needed seem to make it work pretty well.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless something has changed in '18, 6MT is not available in SR5 trim. TRD SPORT is the base for v6/6mt combo. Which would make much more sense for $34.5k assuming extended cab, not crew.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Real Truck? TUNDRA! Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I'm still surprised that there is nobody importing the simple landcruiser trucks for agricultural use, and converting some to road legal configuration.

You mean the 70-series Cruisers? They can be imported for off-road use on private land only. There is no legal way to register one for on-road driving in the USA.

Not true, you can get a 70 Series from Canada fairly easy. There are some rules you have to play by such as age and what not, but it's doable. A new one from Japan or the likes is a no go however.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Unless something has changed in '18, 6MT is not available in SR5 trim. TRD SPORT is the base for v6/6mt combo. Which would make much more sense for $34.5k assuming extended cab, not crew.

Yes, TRD Sport is the lowest trim level for 6MT. Also, there is no single cab offered. Only Access Cab and Double Cab and then short or long beds. You just don't seem many 6MT or long beds on dealer lots.

Dealers seem to actually be doing some dealing on Tacomas. Used to be it was pay the sticker or move on. I think the competition from the Colorado and the upcoming Ranger may be driving this. I got what I think is a pretty good deal on the TRD Sport I just picked up.

I'm liking it so far. It has a bit more power than my 2012 with the 4.0L engine, and is getting about 4 additional MPG around town. Haven't had it on a road trip yet.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your average mpg? I think the Taco would be a good work car for me, but I can't bring myself to trade my 30mpg S10 for a 20mpg import. I drive too many miles daily for that big a difference.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is your average mpg? I think the Taco would be a good work car for me, but I can't bring myself to trade my 30mpg S10 for a 20mpg import. I drive too many miles daily for that big a difference.

The Tacoma will not match 30 mpg even highway. Maybe 25 - 27 highway if you're light footed and keep it under 70 mph with no load or towing. The Tacoma is still built as a truck with towing capacity of 6700 lbs. It's hard to get both ends of that performance curve. The 4 cylinder version is rated at about the same MPG because they use a lower gear to makeup for the puny engine. It's probably not a great choice for a long distance commuter vehicle.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Im a Toyota fan, have 3 and a Lexus. But the Colorado with the 4 cyl diesel was impressive. The owner says he gets a true 25mpg cruising at 75. Granted it was the ZR2 model, but that little engine changed my mind about 4 cyl diesels.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've been taking a serious look at the RAV 4. Trucks in my area you pay a premium. I have a Saturn VUE with a CVT. Its on its third transmission. Each and every one has had the same malfunction. They never fixed the problem they just put another with the same flaw back in. Will never, ever have another one.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
ever have another one.

goose5, if you are talking about another cvt the Rav4 has it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think ony the hybrid Rav4 has a cvt.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I'm still surprised that there is nobody importing the simple landcruiser trucks for agricultural use, and converting some to road legal configuration.

You mean the 70-series Cruisers? They can be imported for off-road use on private land only. There is no legal way to register one for on-road driving in the USA.

I dream of the turbo diesel with the dump bed.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I've been taking a serious look at the RAV 4. Trucks in my area you pay a premium. I have a Saturn VUE with a CVT. Its on its third transmission. Each and every one has had the same malfunction. They never fixed the problem they just put another with the same flaw back in. Will never, ever have another one.

We purchased 3 new Rav4s one day in '16, and of course, they are still without any problems. In our experience, Toyotas are appliances you can count on.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilverWolf:
Real Truck? TUNDRA! Wink

^ I agree.
I went from a 4Runner, same size interior as a Tacoma, to a Tundra in 2004.
Bought my 2nd Tundra in 2014.

I looked a Tacos before buying my 2014, but the interior was too small, and the engine was underpowered.

Love my Tundra and my 5.7...

As far as knowledgeable sales personnel;
That is a art long gone these days.
Seems most auto sales people go from dealer to dealer in a matter of days, months, or years.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post