SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I went to the Toyota dealer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I went to the Toyota dealer Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Yesterday to buy some parts Wink

Of course I walked through the showroom. They have a ton of Rav 4's. I stopped and was looking. Geez I think you could get out the door with one for under $25k Eek
In the grand skeem or things seem's like a pretty decent price.

So a salesman comes over and we strike up a conversation. We discuss my low mileage Gen 2 Tundra.

I tell him I am a truck guy so no Rav4.
We talk about the Tacoma.

I did not realize the current Tacoma has a cvt auto transimission, wth? Is that true?
No, or Hell No if that is the case. That shocked me actually. Now the 6sp manual tranny maybe. He said $34.5K for an SR5 one of those Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The Tacoma does NOT have a CVT transmission. Either your salesman was uneducated or something was miscommunicated.

It does have an "ECT" transmission, which means it is electronically controlled for gearshifts and torque converter lockup, which is the same as every single other automatic transmission made today.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm still surprised that there is nobody importing the simple landcruiser trucks for agricultural use, and converting some to road legal configuration.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I'm still surprised that there is nobody importing the simple landcruiser trucks for agricultural use, and converting some to road legal configuration.

You mean the 70-series Cruisers? They can be imported for off-road use on private land only. There is no legal way to register one for on-road driving in the USA.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a CVT.

"6-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)"

Dealership guy needs to learn his product better.

I got OTD in a new 4x4 SR5 with auto and a few other extras for $35k. Plus 0% terms.

Its a nice truck.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, I trust you more than him. That is why I asked. I could not believe that myself.

209, is yours the 3.5 V6 or the 2.7. Is they 3.5 a good proven power plant?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Ok guys, I trust you more than him. That is why I asked. I could not believe that myself.

209, is yours the 3.5 V6 or the 2.7. Is they 3.5 a good proven power plant?

It's the V6. Time will tell. Smile I've been getting around 21 mpg in general purpose / mixed driving.

I'm not a big off-roader.

Plus you got the Tacoma re-sale working in your favor at some point.

They also include first 4 oil changes / tire rotations.

I understand that men who need a truck for work: construction, landscaping, utilities, etc need a full-size. I don't - I just like to have one on-hand for occasional 'truck stuff'.

----------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2018 TRD Off Road.
It has the 3.5 and 6 speed auto.
The engine is ok. Not anything special but it makes plenty of power for a pickup. There are better road trucks out there (Honda Ridgeline)but the Tacoma is a real truck and drives like one.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 CVT's by 2 different manufacturers and 0 problems at all. I keep hearing how everyone hates them but I still can't figure out why. They are way better and smoother than the older auto transmissions. What is the hate based on?

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two Nissan Altimas with CVT and they do very well on fuel mileage. I'm not sure they would be durable enough for truck service.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have had 3 CVT's by 2 different manufacturers and 0 problems at all. I keep hearing how everyone hates them but I still can't figure out why. They are way better and smoother than the older auto transmissions. What is the hate based on?

I believe they are only frowned on in a truck. For passenger cars they are superior to traditional autos in every way.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't like the way I have to drive the car in order for it get going. My wife's 2014 Rogue requires that you get above 4000 RPM to get any reaction out of it.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

I don't like the way I have to drive the car in order for it get going. My wife's 2014 Rogue requires that you get above 4000 RPM to get any reaction out of it.

This is my experience also. You don't get the same feel and it has the 'rubber band effect' that people talk about. I have experienced them in rental cars and not been impressed at all.

I am not Mario Andretti but I enjoy driving and experiencing other vehicles. CVTs are definitely very 'blah'. Way too much press the gas, press some more, the engine gets all revvy and then sort of spools up in a non-linear fashion. All the while I am thinking 'WTF is this drivetrain doing???'.

As a disclaimer - I have never driven one paired with a really good, performance-type engine so maybe in some examples they are okay.

---------------------------------------

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That has to do with the car, not the CVT. My Accord flat gets with the program whenever I touch the gas.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Blame the CAFE standards. The only LC available is the low volume high standard equipment model. If they were to offer the standard models, the CAFE of Toyota would go down.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Cheaper to build, cheaper to repair (for dealer, not consumer). Never designed for a car or truck. currently modified to use due to lighter vehicles. I am sure I will own one at some point as that is all that will be available at some point. Not a fan.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
And here I thought I would open this thread to a picture of what you brought home. Big Grin

From what I've read, the 3.5 made its debut in late 2016. It was a redesigned motor with direct injection. It made more HP/TQ than the previous yet allowed for better mileage.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
34,5 for a SR-5. That’s crazy.

It’s possible to get an off-road close to that.

My 17 Pro with MT was only 6k more. I knew I was not going to be able to purchase for anything less than MSRP due to its rarity, 5% of the 17 Pros produced were MT. I figure mine is 1 of about 120

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Here's my 2018 TRD Off Road.
It has the 3.5 and 6 speed auto.
The engine is ok. Not anything special but it makes plenty of power for a pickup. There are better road trucks out there (Honda Ridgeline)but the Tacoma is a real truck and drives like one.

I thought the new Ridgeline is kind of a teancy lil frail looking thing. No thanks. If I could afford a mid size truck, it would no doubt be a Tacoma.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They make the gas pedal behave just like a throttle lever on a boat.

Also cvts can't handle a lot of torque, so they are exclusively paired with gutless engines.

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post