SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best drone for $500 or under
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best drone for $500 or under Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Co-worker asking me and I have no idea, just trying to help out. I've been answering every computer/laptop and gadget question at work but haven't kept up with the drone world.

It will be for a guy - would like to have video on the remote and recording capability.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
DJI Phantom 3 should be pretty close to $500.

I use the Mavic and really like it

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I bought a factory refurb Autel X Star Premium. Very pleased so far.

If highest quality isnt a priority the DJI Spark is nifty.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Excellent...That DJI Phantom 3 looks to be exactly what they were looking for - found it for $499 on Amazon. Thanks!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Phantom III

now, if I recall correctly, you should probably pick up a spare battery pack, replacement props

you also need to supply your own camera package and iPad device

a bit of set up is required but overall its a good machine

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yes, the DJI Phantom 3 Standard (there are also the Advanced, Pro, and 4K models...all higher in price and features) should fit the bill nicely. It won't have a lot of the higher-end bells and whistles (namely, it transmits via wi-fi and not Lightbridge), but for a first UAV, it will work very, very well.
He will enjoy it, immensely.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the DJI Spark. Small enough for inside the home too.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Phantom III

now, if I recall correctly, you should probably pick up a spare battery pack, replacement props

you also need to supply your own camera package and iPad device

a bit of set up is required but overall its a good machine
Phantom 3 comes with a camera system.

Agree you'll want a second battery, new props and need a smartphone to really enjoy flying it.

Then again 95% of people have smartphones and it can be up and running in pretty short order.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dji spark is great

Posts: 395 | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
The DJI Spark is a great drone. But can you get the Spark with the remote for under $500? Because flying it without the remote controller is not so great. The Spark is much better if you spring for the "Fly More Combo," which should get you the remote and an extra battery.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uzigalil:
dji spark is great

I’ve never had one but a radio program reviewed them and claimed the Spark was the best one under $500

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post