SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your neighborhood planning for Halloween? Need ideas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your neighborhood planning for Halloween? Need ideas? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
This is an excerpt from a communication from our HOA. Recommendations from various neighbors on "safe" trick or treating. Everything except a slingshot. Welcome to Stupidville.

Low Contact Treat Giving – Interested in Treat Giving but need to be Socially Distanced? Here are some fun suggestions to help you participate more safely:

Create a Treat Slide! Consider using a slide or tube to slide treats right into a Trick or Treater's bucket!

Wear a mask and gloves and use long tongs or a grabber to deliver treats directly into treat buckets.

Place 6' tape dots on your driveway to spread out waiting children.

Consider creating a clever Rube Goldberg type Treat Dispensing Machine. A stomp rocket could start the machine to keep fingers off of surfaces.

Treat Table - Set individually bagged treats on a treat table at the end of your driveway. See all the costumes and let kids come up one at a time to select a treat bag.

Zip Line - Slide treats down a zipline to waiting children from an upper floor. Attach bags with paperclips.

Clothesline - String a clothesline across your driveway and hang treats with clothespins from the line, 6' apart.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a salute to 2020, “you’ll get nothing and like it!”

We have a nixed bag, some are turning off the lights and shutting up their home. Others say they’re putting candy in a big bowl. And some are just going about their business without concerns.

I think we’re just going dark.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give out candy. Not letting that stupid shit ruin it for kids. Shit's been ruined enough by idiots.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have twin 3yo nieces, so we'll be hosting them at my place for a "hayride" trick-or-treat at my place.

Trick or treat the front door, hayride around the field, stop at the side door, loop the woods, go to the garage door... and so on.

They should have a good time, I know the adults are looking forward to it.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Hide the cars and hide in the back bedroom with lights out so it looks like no one is home. Maybe we will get lucky and catch a burglar.

Just kidding. Mrs Greener makes custom costumes for all the grandkids to order, but it looks like trick or treating is not going to happen this year except with close family. Our kids have started leaving Christmas trees up all year with changing decorations for various holidays. The trees are looking spooky already.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I thought it was settled business, that we are shooting from the porch?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Undecided yet.

Option 1) wrist rocket and surgical gloves.

Option 2) give kids candy like every halloween, let parents decide if the want to spray it with Lysol or quarantine it for 48 hours first.

I really want to do #1, but I'm afraid the police will show up at my door. So I think I'll go #2.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
FedEx

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
25 feet of 3 inch PVC pipe, send candy out to the street, right into their little baskets and bags.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to do what I always do: Invite my close friends over, move the patio chimney to the front steps, turn on some spooky music, and hand out candy and glow sticks.

Kids (and adults) need a break from this madness.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Have not decided, but here is my top 5 list being considered...

1) A pneumatic tube system like those money tubes at the drive through bank, powered by a shop vac.

2) Potato gun!

3) Zip line to the mail box.

4) Scattered on the lawn like bird seed.

5) Turn the lights out and watch a movie.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Table with candy on it toward the end of the driveway. My wife and I and some some friends in chairs, and a cooler, 10-12 feet closer to the house than the table. Seems plenty safe to me.

We usually put a cooler with ice and a bunch of small water bottles next to the candy because we’re in Florida and it’s usually in the high 70s. Water goes faster than the candy.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Have not decided, but here is my top 5 list being considered...

1) A pneumatic tube system like those money tubes at the drive through bank, powered by a shop vac.

2) Potato gun!

3) Zip line to the mail box.

4) Scattered on the lawn like bird seed.

5) Turn the lights out and watch a movie.

With the windows open and TV loud enough to be heard at the street, optimal movie selection is; Pulp Fiction followed by Rocky Horror.

Any kids coming up to a darkened house with either of those playing deserve some candy. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan to pass out candy as I always have. One of the worst aspects of the Whoo Hoo Floo is making kids wear masks. And showing them how panicked we are.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not bother. I haven't had more than 1 or 2 kids for Hallowe'en in the last 10 years--they mostly are driven to parties somewhere. Not sure what will happen this year, as I don't have a wife or kids and don't get informed about neighborhood plans.

flaahguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Trebuchet

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I'm going to give out candy. Not letting that stupid shit ruin it for kids. Shit's been ruined enough by idiots.

This exactly. Well said.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Last year we had I think three kids, we had a fairly small bag of Skittles to give away. The year before, our first Halloween in our new house, we bought a Costco sized bag and zero kids came by.

This year, I think we'll give out canned hams or something different if any show up.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/4bGiPUvljHA

Notice the blue can in the caddy thing, for the adults only, of course.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We usually get several hundred kids coming by. I've got maybe 50 sounds of mixed chocolates and other goodies set aside for them. If they don't come, I'm putting it in the freezer for next year. My guess is they'll come. The neighborhood is well decorated.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post