SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got a letter from the Governor yesterday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a letter from the Governor yesterday Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@ Elk Hunter: I actually received my draft notice at mail call in Navy Boot Camp.

I ignored it, I hope I'm not in trouble...

@ Brad: It's a pain in the ass and you receive little recognition and I assume NO money, but you do it because it needs doing and it's for your country. Good for you.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
We need more good people who respect the Constitution serving in such positions.

I couldn't agree more. Congratulations Brad!

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Years ago, I was stationed in St. Louis. They would show up about once a year to fire up their computers and make sure everything still worked.

I enlisted before they came and got me. Stayed a hell of a lot longer than I planned.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I can't think of anyone more honorable for that job.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Well done Brad, and congrats!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it entails washing the dirty trucks of some Sigforumites from like-minded states like Mississippi....

Congrats!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
@ Elk Hunter: I actually received my draft notice at mail call in Navy Boot Camp.

I ignored it, I hope I'm not in trouble...

@ Brad: It's a pain in the ass and you receive little recognition and I assume NO money, but you do it because it needs doing and it's for your country. Good for you.
My draft call came in the mail while I was serving as a 2Lt USAF at a remote radar site in coastal Oregon. My Commander said to just ignore it--they'd take care of it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congrats Brad!
You're a good man for the job. Thanks for serving.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Brad. Hope we'll never have to use your services as this nation would be in trouble.
Yes, the "Preserve, protect and defend..." always sent chills down my spine.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
For those who asked, here is what the local boards do in the event of a Draft be undertaken:

"If a military draft becomes necessary, approximately 2,000 local boards throughout the United States would decide which young men in each community receive deferments, postponements, or exemptions from military service based on federal guidelines."

Link

Thanks for your kind words everyone. It truly is an honor to serve in this role.

I fall into a strange window where I never had to register and I never had a draft card. It occurred for about 18 months for those born in late 1957 to mid 1959.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings ... and congratulations.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Congrats Brad! That's pretty cool. I'm glad I don't live in the same state.... Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,sir!

Posts: 84 | Location: Donnelsville,OH | Registered: June 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
congratulations

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
A couple months ago I received a call from one of the people I know in Michigan political circles. He inquired if I would possibly be interested in becoming a member of our 2 county Selective Service Board. After going over the details, I agreed to apply for a position. I was put in contact with the LTC who covers this area of Michigan. I had to have a background check, fill out an application and then had a phone interview. It was explained that this is a Presidential appointment upon recommendation from the Michigan Governor's office.

Made it through the application and interview and took the Oath of Office. That actually was a very cool part of the process as while I have taken an oath as a public office holder on several occasions to uphold the Constitution of the United States and of this State, this is the first time one has included the words "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;"

In yesterday's mail, I received a letter from Governor Snyder that I was being recommended to President Trump for appointment to the Selective Service Board. According to the LTC, that means I am officially part of the Board for this area.

Hopefully, the commitment will only entail an annual training and America will never need to re-institute the draft. However, I am honored to be able to serve my community and my country.

Thought you all would be interested n hearing about my appointment. If there are any current or former SSB members here, I'd love to hear any stories you have about being a member.

Congrats, Brad. Outstanding.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Congrats Brad!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know we no longer draft people into the military, bug the way my father described hos experiences I don't know that I'd want to be associated with that particular group of "friends & neighbors".

Either way, congratulations on the opportunity and hopefully it allows you to advance your ambitions.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
. . ."I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. . .

I think many, maybe even most, who hang out here have taken an oath that features that same phrase, and many of them have administered it. All recognize that that oath does not have an expiration date -- once taken it's with you, part of you, for life.

God bless you sir, and keep you!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Brad!!

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post