SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got a letter from the Governor yesterday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a letter from the Governor yesterday Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
A couple months ago I received a call from one of the people I know in Michigan political circles. He inquired if I would possibly be interested in becoming a member of our 2 county Selective Service Board. After going over the details, I agreed to apply for a position. I was put in contact with the LTC who covers this area of Michigan. I had to have a background check, fill out an application and then had a phone interview. It was explained that this is a Presidential appointment upon recommendation from the Michigan Governor's office.

Made it through the application and interview and took the Oath of Office. That actually was a very cool part of the process as while I have taken an oath as a public office holder on several occasions to uphold the Constitution of the United States and of this State, this is the first time one has included the words "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;"

In yesterday's mail, I received a letter from Governor Snyder that I was being recommended to President Trump for appointment to the Selective Service Board. According to the LTC, that means I am officially part of the Board for this area.

Hopefully, the commitment will only entail an annual training and America will never need to re-institute the draft. However, I am honored to be able to serve my community and my country.

Thought you all would be interested n hearing about my appointment. If there are any current or former SSB members here, I'd love to hear any stories you have about being a member.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What duties does such a position entail?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Congrats Brad! We need more good people who respect the Constitution serving in such positions.

Best regards,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers, Brad!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Brad!

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16615 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Congrats Brad. Good job.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Way to go!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go Brad, hope it works out and goes well for you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is on the board here. She normally has one training session per year. Hopefully that will be the extent of it and she will never be pressed into service. The only downside is that sometimes the training is not as close to home as she would like it.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
You know... I'm a fairly aware person in general. I never know each state had a board such as this.

I'm constantly amazed at the various topics I learn about here.

Congrats Brad, It is nice to know that someone who is not a typical politician is in that position. I imagine you can't really influence much but at least if you can you will where so many people will just do what they are told.

Now I have to go read about these state boards.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I'm pretty happy you're a Michigander. Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53088 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Another feather in your cap Brad. Congrats.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Great for you! Congrats!

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you Brad.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
So, what do you do if a draft is called up ? Is there a uniform standard decision tree for calling up young people ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
A couple months ago I received a call from one of the people I know in Michigan political circles. He inquired if I would possibly be interested in becoming a member of our 2 county Selective Service Board. After going over the details, I agreed to apply for a position. I was put in contact with the LTC who covers this area of Michigan. I had to have a background check, fill out an application and then had a phone interview. It was explained that this is a Presidential appointment upon recommendation from the Michigan Governor's office.

Made it through the application and interview and took the Oath of Office. That actually was a very cool part of the process as while I have taken an oath as a public office holder on several occasions to uphold the Constitution of the United States and of this State, this is the first time one has included the words "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;"

In yesterday's mail, I received a letter from Governor Snyder that I was being recommended to President Trump for appointment to the Selective Service Board. According to the LTC, that means I am officially part of the Board for this area.

Hopefully, the commitment will only entail an annual training and America will never need to re-institute the draft. However, I am honored to be able to serve my community and my country.

Thought you all would be interested n hearing about my appointment. If there are any current or former SSB members here, I'd love to hear any stories you have about being a member.

Congratulations!!

The only experience I have ever had with the selective service board was when I got a letter from them telling me that if I did not register they would press charges. This after I had sent them 2 letters in response to theirs, informing them that I had enlisted at 17 (not required to register) and had been in the army for 10 years.

They "ordered" me to report to their office and register after those letters I mentions above.

Told the 1st Sgt that I need a 30 day admin leave, and why. He laughed out loud and said he would handle it.

Never heard from them again.

Of course this was back in the 1962-63 years.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post