SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The Olympics is just a giant fuck fest. Why else would you need 37 condoms per athlete?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/fea...st-free-condoms.html

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Anything but the wacko X factor type crap. Can't stand the combination of aerobatics and gymnastics while skiing. Same goes for similar stuff in the summer.

Favorite Winter Olympics moment is still the US Hockey Team in 1980. Was with a group in the Officer's Club in Brunswick Maine watching the event. Miracle on Ice INDEED! Simply unbelievable.

I agree on the rad board and ski events. Its so much of the same and the surfer dude reporting makes it worse. Not stoked.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
The Olympics is just a giant fuck fest.
I don't think I'll be watching that on TV.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
What events are you looking forward to watching?

I myself can't wait to see some curling.

I agree. I doubt there is anything more exciting in life than a good game of curling. It keeps us on the edge of seats biting our fingernails in anticipation as to who will win that most dangerous and skill mandated sport. The sweep, the blowing air all in an effort to advance our stones to the center button of the house. It is just magnificent.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I want to see Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir together again. What a hoot!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of local hype here for this snowboarder dude from Iron River.
He has been making the rounds of the media and going to area schools.
All good I guess.
But the dude is 36 years old. Every time I see him, I cant help but think he peaked in HS and cant move on.
No Olympics for me. Pretty much the same hype and BS as pro sports. Pro athletes competing? Right...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I really don't like the fact that NHL players (or ANY professional athlete in his sport) are allowed to compete in the Olympics; winter or summer. But I guess the USA had to do something with every other country opening the gate for their professional athletes. I'm mainly against NHL players participating because it screws up the regular NHL season and opens the possibility of injury. Yeah...country pride. I get it...

Having said that, I'll catch the medal round games if I have time. In true reality, IDGAPF, where 'PF'=Popcorn Fart.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
What events are you looking forward to watching?

I myself can't wait to see some curling.

I agree. I doubt there is anything more exciting in life than a good game of curling. It keeps us on the edge of seats biting our fingernails in anticipation as to who will win that most dangerous and skill mandated sport. The sweep, the blowing air all in an effort to advance our stones to the center button of the house. It is just magnificent.

Plus, fit Canadian and Nordic women in tight yoga pants.

(Curling is the "beach volleyball" of the Winter Olympics.)

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I really don't like the fact that NHL players (or ANY professional athlete in his sport) are allowed to compete in the Olympics; winter or summer. But I guess the USA had to do something with every other country opening the gate for their professional athletes. I'm mainly against NHL players participating because it screws up the regular NHL season and opens the possibility of injury. Yeah...country pride. I get it...

Having said that, I'll catch the medal round games if I have time. In true reality, IDGAPF, where 'PF'=Popcorn Fart.

No current NHL players on the USA Hockey Team.
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-w...olympics/c-288385598

USA Men's Roster
http://teamusa.usahockey.com/p...mes-u-s-men-s-roster

Posts: 551 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stirek. Guess I didn't do my homework and just assumed. Yup...made an ass outta me, for sure! Big Grin I did think it kinda weird that I hadn't heard much hype about the Olympics when watching my Bruins and Preds. Now I know why...thanks!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see the closing ceremonies! Not interested at all in the Olympics.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I usually watch the downhill, super-G, ski jumping and biathalon. The latter because, well, shooting(!) and the others because the speed is addictive and when somebody wipes out it's usually spectacular. Otherwise, meh.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I want to see Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir together again. What a hoot!

They are funny, and they seem to know what they are talking about. Too bad they talk about figure skating, which bores me to tears.

I like the speed sports. Downhill skiing, slalom, sledding, speed skating (especially the ones where they skate in packs).

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the speed sports. Downhill skiing, slalom, sledding, speed skating (especially the ones where they skate in packs).

This, plus the snowboarding events now. Basically events that have me going "ooooohhhhhhh shit!!"

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The interviews with the snowboarders.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
My favorite event is short track speed skating. I like pretty much all of the speed sports. Also enjoy watching the biathlon competition.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Anything but the wacko X factor type crap.

I agree. The only way to make freestyle skiing and snowboard half-pipe more unbearable would be to have Johnny Weir doing the commentary.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I say this in all honesty...I actually like watching Curling. Yes, I also admit that, in a juvenile way, I do enjoy the women's curling more than the the men's, but still I have fun watching it. It's math, physics, and keen perception all rolled up into one sport...that you could normally play while drinking beer. Will I watch it religiously during the Olympics? No, but if it's on when I am looking for something to watch, I'll put it on.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what I might bother to watch. The bobsled and luge (and skeleton for those who really like spinal injury) can be entertaining. Beyond that? can't think of anything I'm all that interested in. Not even the Hockey, which I normally don't mind.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Women's curling, half pipe, hockey, luge and bobsleding, maybe the speed skating and after all that, reruns of the women's curling.

On the other hand, the athletes received 37 condoms each but I think they determined that amount before Matt Lauer was fired from NBC.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I say this in all honesty...I actually like watching Curling. Yes, I also admit that, in a juvenile way, I do enjoy the women's curling more than the the men's, but still I have fun watching it. It's math, physics, and keen perception all rolled up into one sport...that you could normally play while drinking beer. Will I watch it religiously during the Olympics? No, but if it's on when I am looking for something to watch, I'll put it on.

Curling is a very compelling activity to watch. Some commentator voiced it best, IMO: Curling is something that I think I could actually do. I can ski, but nowhere NEAR Olympic levels. However, I can sweep. I think, of all Olympic activities, I could manage my way onto the Curling team. . . Smile

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Biathalon is an interesting sport - its a shame they stopped it being .308 though.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post