SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Have been watching the opening ceremonies with the wife, and it's been cool. The only thing is, I realize that the stadium is set up for the special effects, but it seems like what appear to be seats are almost completely empty?

They said those are reserved for the atheletes when they get done with the march.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Kim Jung Un's sister was visibly THRILLED when the team from the USA entered the arena.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Wow, that sequence with the drones and the skiers/boarders was awesome!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to go on the record now and say that I am in love with the Estonia flag bearer.

Saskia Alusalu, marry me. (Just ignore the fact that I'm already married.)

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting how much NBC/media keeps pumping-up this whole joint-Korea team thing. Was talking to a couple of friends who are from South Korea, and both of them were just shaking their heads. They said the older generation is wishful of unification and the media has seized on that but, the younger generation (40-50 years and younger), besides not caring much for the North, see unification as economic, financial and socially disastrous. The South Korean president's approval ratings are plummeting and he's taking a lot of heat for using the women's hockey team as a political tool, removing several team members spots to accommodate the North Korean players.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The Winter Olympics are the only sports my wife and I spend any time watching. That and what little sailboat racing gets on TV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
50 years ago, the icon of the winter olympics was the ski jumping (the agony of defeat type of deal). But the Europeans could not beat the Americans so they changed how it is judged. It used to be distance. Oh, glorious distance and acheivement! Now it is style. The Europeans may not jump very far, but they look good doing it. How disgusting.
Ski jumping is not longer the icon of the winter olympics.
Sad.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea, haven't seen any yet and have no plans to, although I'm sure I'll see something of it surfing channels in the next few weeks. For those that like it - enjoy!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Girls curling, girls ice hockey, girls skating (especially that Estonian babe!!!).

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Been watching women's biathlon. Still on right now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
50 years ago, the icon of the winter olympics was the ski jumping (the agony of defeat type of deal). But the Europeans could not beat the Americans so they changed how it is judged. It used to be distance. Oh, glorious distance and acheivement! Now it is style. The Europeans may not jump very far, but they look good doing it. How disgusting.
Sad.

EekWhen has the US ever dominated ski jumping? It's the Scandinavians that have dominated, then the Germanic alpine countries. Sure the US has found success here and there but, I'm not seeing where the US forced a change, distance is still the measuring stick for success here.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a sports med doc and had the privilege of working in Lake Placid many years ago with several of the US Olympic teams. Getting to know these athletes who truly sacrifice so much to get to this level was an awesome experience. With few exceptions, most of them were pretty down to earth and not prima donnas. For most of them, their competitive window is fairly narrow and a lot rides upon their not being injured or ill during crucial trials/competitions. One of the most rewarding times of my career!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Sad.

EekWhen has the US ever dominated ski jumping? It's the Scandinavians that have dominated, then the Germanic alpine countries. Sure the US has found success here and there but, I'm not seeing where the US forced a change, distance is still the measuring stick for success here.

No, it’s not. If it were, there would not be “style” points. Objective victory is an illusion now.

Look at what happened to figure skating scoring after the OBVIOUS cheating (Canadians robbed by French judge bought off by Russia) that blew the lid off that little arrangement. They just changed the scoring so the average (or even advanced) viewer can’t possibly figure it out on a good day. Same thing w/ gymnastics in the summer.

A simple 0-10 point scoring system makes it too easy to spot shenanigans. To easy to call bullshit on the judges.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sad.

You must be a young fellow. Just a couple of minutes ago I watched some dude with a handlebar mustache from Scandinavia jump quite a distance.....but he might lose a couple of "points" because of style!!!!!!! How girlish!

Back in the 60's the U.S. would win the ski jump all the time. Well, if they didn't win, they made them work for it.
And they used ski poles. And didn't wear the sissy jump suits and helmets.
Back when men were men, and the women....well, the women were men, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arlen,

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

The East German ones anyway.

My best memories, Franz Klammer's run in the '76 Downhill and the '80 victory over the Soviet Hockey team.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Thaf's a good one!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sad.

You must be a young fellow. Just a couple of minutes ago I watched some dude with a handlebar mustache from Scandinavia jump quite a distance.....but he might lose a couple of "points" because of style!!!!!!! How girlish!

Back in the 60's the U.S. would win the ski jump all the time. Well, if they didn't win, they made them work for it.

Haven't been called a young fellow in quite awhile, thank you.
Just a simple check, the US has a single medal in Olympic Ski Jumping...1924 bronze. In FIS World Cup, our women have done better than the men but, again, there's very little podiums. Do you have a link with the US successes?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...lists_in_ski_jumping

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sad.

Haven't been called a young fellow in quite awhile, thank you.
Just a simple check, the US has a single medal in Olympic Ski Jumping...1924 bronze. In FIS World Cup, our women have done better than the men but, again, there's very little podiums. Do you have a link with the US successes?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...lists_in_ski_jumping

Weird story too. He actually won it 50 years after his actual jump.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/new...ly-ski-jumping-medal

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Irritated I missed women’s biathlon. Great sport to watch

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post