SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Was watching the skiathalon.... jesus who would sign up for that? 30KMs in the freezing ass cold, ice on your whiskers, as the announcer said they all look miserable.

What a nightmare!!!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And for the luge ... sorry don't know how to embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrnhWOKkgDY

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would love to see more Biathlon, I think the curling is cool too.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I would love to see more Biathlon, I think the curling is cool too.

HK Ag

I also watched some curling yesterday and really enjoyed it. It was the mixed doubles, US couple against a Norwegian team. Once I Googled the rules and strategy involved I found out it isn't like watching grass grow like I'd always thought. Fun stuff.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Curling is a bit boring to watch, but its a blast to play with friends.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Curling is a bit boring to watch, but its a blast to play with friends.

Nonsense! Furious sweeping while someone screams "Hard! HARD! HARD!!!" Why, that should be enough to have just about anyone sitting on the edge of their seat. Big Grin

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, am I overly cautious or is muzzle discipline a bit lax in the biathlon?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
I watched the opening ceremonies, just the portion where the athletes enter the stadium.

What I found interesting was the order of entrance for each country. Greece always goes first, the host country goes last ... all the other countries enter the stadium in order of their spoken language based on the alphabet of the host country's language.

U.S. team entered in the "M" category. That is about right for 'Merka.

And the Korean name for the US translates to "Beautiful Country".

I noticed that too and I also noticed that there were other countries that were also translated "Beautiful Country". I am scratching my head over that.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:

You gotta be kidding, man.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I enjoyed the snowboarding so far. Great to see a 17-year-old American win it. He looked surprised. Every time they have shown his dad(at least I think that's who it is) he has a bear in his hand

https://www.si.com/olympics/20...wboarding-gold-medal
quote:
Then, Gerard was asked how much fun his family was having.

“I’m sure it’s a ton,” Gerard said at a press conference. “I’m pretty sure I saw a video of them shotgunning beers at 8:30 a.m., so I’m pretty sure they are doing just fine.”

CoolThe American's have arrived

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The American's have arrived

And they're overpaid, oversexed, and over here.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
And for the luge ... sorry don't know how to embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrnhWOKkgDY

Do they still do the skeleton? It's like the luge, but head first.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

It looks like many of them are sweeping the crowd and/or other competitors when they take the rifle off of their back.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It looks like many of them are sweeping the crowd and/or other competitors when they take the rifle off of their back.

Ok, but the rifle isn't loaded until the athlete is in her shooting position with the rifle pointed down range.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, but the rifle isn't loaded until the athlete is in her shooting position with the rifle pointed down range.

I don't recall seeing one of them visually inspect the chamber to verify it was empty when they were done shooting before swinging it onto their back.

Just saying... It wouldn't pass a semi-strict application of the 4 rules.

- Benjamin Franklin

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Briefly checked in to see David Feherty commentating on biathlon. Good to know he enjoys target shooting as well as cycling.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
What's with the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" thing?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
What's with the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" thing?

Russia was banned for doping in the last Olympics. Certain athletes though are being allowed to compete, but they can't fly their flag or colors or even sing their anthem if they win a medal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Tried to watch some but the commercial breaks are insane and too frequent. I am constantly reminded that the USOC is a POS. Many of our athletes representing our country are at the poverty level, work low paying jobs just to get by. The USOC has millions and could pay them, but don’t. Meanwhile USA competitors do not have to work as their state or government foots the bill for their living and training. Unless our athletes get corporate sponsorship deals, they don’t make dick. USOC ranks right up there with the NCAA and NFL to me.

Then there are the added sports that shouldn’t be in the Olympics.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I am constantly reminded that the USOC is a POS. Many of our athletes representing our country are at the poverty level, work low paying jobs just to get by. The USOC has millions and could pay them, but don’t. Meanwhile USA competitors do not have to work as their state or government foots the bill for their living and training. Unless our athletes get corporate sponsorship deals, they don’t make dick. USOC ranks right up there with the NCAA and NFL to me.

The scandal with the US Gymnastics team is in the process of shedding light on how the USOC takes care of it's athletes or, doesn't. I'm gonna guess that after these games, there's gonna be some big changes.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post