SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Have to say, that was the best opening ceremony I’ve ever watched, only because the live stream didn’t have any of the usual idiotic NBC talking heads fellating themselves and ogling the dude from Tonga again.

Otherwise, I’d say it was rather underwhelming. Hopefully the athletes put on a better show.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Womens' figure skating, perhaps.

Finger painting?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Oh jeez, we have our first American athelete to bust out the race card. What a classless a-hole...

If there was an Olympic event for carrying a chip on your shoulder he would win gold no contest!

Shani is a prima donna and he considers himself to be Olympic royalty. Not only did the spoiled brat throw a twitter tantrum, he also skipped the opening ceremonies. So instead of being remembered as a 5-time decorated American Olympian, he’ll be regarded as a childish, selfish diva.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:
Oh jeez, we have our first American athelete to bust out the race card. What a classless a-hole...

If there was an Olympic event for carrying a chip on your shoulder he would win gold no contest!

Yep.

I remember Shani Davis from the prior Olympics. Damn good speed skater, I was rooting for him all the way. Until this week, I could not have stated whether his skin color is black, white, blue, or neon whatever. All I knew was that he was really fast on skates.

Team USA members know the drill -- the opening ceremony flag bearer is chosen by votes from 8 people, with ties being broken by a coin flip. Last I checked, coin flips are somewhat common in sports. There was one at the start of a big football game recently...

So Shanni is all pissy that a white woman (Erin Hamlin, luge medalist) gets to carry the USA flag. Evidently coins are racist, and when flipped they choose white ladies over black guys.

I doubt I'm the lone ranger in now realizing that Shanni Davis is indeed black, that he is a gargantuan asshole, and that he is a childish little prick.

I'm now rooting for Erin Hamlin -- USA flag bearer and luge athlete.

And of course I'm rooting for Mikaela Shiffrin -- Colorado's goddess of ski racing.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
Have to say, that was the best opening ceremony I’ve ever watched, only because the live stream didn’t have any of the usual idiotic NBC talking heads fellating themselves and ogling the dude from Tonga again.

Otherwise, I’d say it was rather underwhelming. Hopefully the athletes put on a better show.

Wait. I thought the opening ceremony was tonight (Friday).

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
There is little sportsmanship these days in competitve sports, too many self-absorbed jerks, too many pandering sportscasters. I have lost my taste for cometitive sports due to the growing nonsense.

Was it someone on the forum who commented that many care more about the race of the winner than the winner of the race? US spoiled brat Shani Davis is one example.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
US spoiled brat Shani Davis is one example.

Is that idiot back again? Ever since his first Olympic games he's been a race baiting, prima donna douche. He might be the only American athlete I've ever rooted against.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
US spoiled brat Shani Davis is one example.

Is that idiot back again? Ever since his first Olympic games he's been a race baiting, prima donna douche. He might be the only American athlete I've ever rooted against.

I think that's the guy, abd it seems you description fits.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The problem with that line of thinking is that some countries, especially back in the Soviet era, developed their to level athetes in such a way as that they maintained their amateur status. In the US, for many sports, amateur status is something an athlete briefly passes through on their way to the pros. So we had our developmental and/or not quite pro-level players against other countries top of the line. That doesn't work if you REALLY want the best against the best.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I really don't like the fact that NHL players (or ANY professional athlete in his sport) are allowed to compete in the Olympics; winter or summer. But I guess the USA had to do something with every other country opening the gate for their professional athletes. I'm mainly against NHL players participating because it screws up the regular NHL season and opens the possibility of injury. Yeah...country pride. I get it...

Having said that, I'll catch the medal round games if I have time. In true reality, IDGAPF, where 'PF'=Popcorn Fart.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The mixed curling team Hamiltons couldn't make a shot and gave away two matches. Either they caved in the big spotlight or they got lucky in Olympic qualifying. They just sucked against SK last night. They made lots of home team fans happy last night.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
/QUOTE]

Wait. I thought the opening ceremony was tonight (Friday).[/QUOTE]

Me too...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lakeray:
/QUOTE]

quote:
Me too...

It was very early am today via livestream, but NBC is doing the primetime broadcast of it tonight at 5pm pst for US viewers.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
/QUOTE]

quote:
Me too...

It was very early am today via livestream, but NBC is doing the primetime broadcast of it tonight at 5pm pst for US viewers.

I came to this realization soon after posting that Friday evening had already come and gone on the other side of the world.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
/QUOTE]

quote:
Me too...

Cool. Thanks,
Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
/QUOTE]

quote:
Me too...

8pm EST. You know - real prime time. For those of us on the right coast.

Also, with all the attention Shani Davis is getting, don’t forget that we’re also rooting against Lindsey Vonn!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
don’t forget that we’re also rooting against Lindsey Vonn!

Being a ski racer and a Colorado native, I have mixed feelings about Lindsey. Until Mikaela Shiffrin wins more races than Lindsey, Lindsey has cemented her status as the greatest woman skier in history. Lindsey absolutely wants to win more World Cup races than Ingemar Stenmark, so she can say she has more wins than even the best of the men. I hope it doesn't happen, but I bet she will attain the 6 more wins that she needs. Nobody can deny that Lindsey is an amazing skier.

Ingemar Stenmark was an absolute gentleman on the World Cup circuit. Lindsey -- well, there's her ex-husband Thomas, who sacrificed his ski racing career for Lindsey's. Look where that got him. And there's this golfer named Tiger....

I can only hope that Mikaela remains healthy and skis like the wind for many years, and becomes the all time top banana.

Hope #2 is that the Austrian skier Marcel Hirscher remains healthy and skis like the wind for many years. He's the #2 all-time most winning guy in the world, and has a shot at breaking Ingemar's record.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I give TWO fuck's,
ONE for the NFL,
the other, for the OLYMPICS.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I always thought LV came off as a bit of a prima donna, but I wasn’t actively hoping she misses the podium by a mile until her Trump comment.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
Men’s: giant slalom , downhill, , long jump, speed skating, luge .

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Have been watching the opening ceremonies with the wife, and it's been cool. The only thing is, I realize that the stadium is set up for the special effects, but it seems like what appear to be seats are almost completely empty?

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post