SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, and not intending to hijack the thread, but it would be a perfect bio-weapon distribution scheme for the whack-job to the north. medals and pandemics do not belong together.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why else would you need 37 condoms per athlete?

Those are for the pole dance event, duh!

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Curling- a drinking sport like ice fishing, but you don't have to go out on a lake.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curling - I have been having difficulty falling asleep lately....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years since I last skied and snowboarded, but I love it, same with X-country skiing. But I'm not a fan of watching it on TV. Haven't watched the Winter Olympics in decades.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Curling in on now:

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/...-session-day-minus-1

Yeah! US off to a good start with a 9-3 victory in Mixed Doubles.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I just want to see the next "Eddie the Eagle" go off the ski jump.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
What events are you looking forward to watching?

I myself can't wait to see some curling.

4 words, Danish women's curling team.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Signed up to YouTube TV in order to record and watch all Olympic coverage.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Couple of curling questions. When and why does the thrower sweep their own rock sometimes? The ice surface looks a little pebbly. Does it ever need resurfaced and how is the pebbly texture applied?

Did some research and I think the reason throwers sweep their rock is because men are more powerful sweepers in mixed teams. The ice preparation is very complex with multiple showers and scrapings to impart proper texture or pebble.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Biathalon is an interesting sport - its a shame they stopped it being .308 though.

It was also 6.5x55, and we used both the CG80 Biathlon version and the .308/7.62x51 Kongsberg Arsenal sniper rifle. Both were great lumps to haul around the landscape, but they were the REAL military rifles. I dropped out of the game the moment the change to .22cal plinkers with Fortner action was announced. I only took part in military comps and could see absolutely no point in not shooting the service sniper rifle , after all, it WAS a military skill to begin with.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Biathalon is an interesting sport - its a shame they stopped it being .308 though.

It was also 6.5x55, and we used both the CG80 Biathlon version and the .308/7.62x51 Kongsberg Arsenal sniper rifle. Both were great lumps to haul around the landscape, but they were the REAL military rifles. I dropped out of the game the moment the change to .22cal plinkers with Fortner action was announced. I only took part in military comps and could see absolutely no point in not shooting the service sniper rifle , after all, it WAS a military skill to begin with.

tac

Years ago a Biathlon Olympian I shot with used a 223 in a Sako action.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Oh jeez, we have our first American athelete to bust out the race card. What a classless a-hole...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/s...ics-2018-flagbearer/

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea -- It was a feel-good story for a few hours: Luge veteran Erin Hamlin gets the chance to enter her last Olympics carrying the U.S. flag into the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Games, winning that distinction after a vote by some of her fellow athletes. And then Shani Davis tweeted.

With that, the entire process was called into controversy. The tweet posted to Davis' account said the process by which Hamlin won was executed "dishonorably," and included a reference to Black History Month - raising the question of whether the speedskater was suggesting that race played a role in the decision.

"I am an American and when I won the 1000m in 2010 I became the first American to 2-peat in that event," the tweet said. "Team USA dishonorably tossed a coin to decide its 2018 flag bearer. No problem. I can wait until 2022. #BlackHistoryMonth2018"....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Oh jeez, we have our first American athelete to bust out the race card. What a classless a-hole...

If there was an Olympic event for carrying a chip on your shoulder he would win gold no contest!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:

If there was an Olympic event for carrying a chip on your shoulder he would win gold no contest!

She probably believes that it was 'racism' that denied her the honor of carrying the flag. These idiots have allowed themselves to be conditioned to believe that EVERY single setback (real or perceived) is ALWAYS attributed to racism.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

tac

Years ago a Biathlon Olympian I shot with used a 223 in a Sako action.

Could be. I was in the Army, and we shot Swedish and Norwegian service rifles that you would have used in NORTHAG operations.

The Russians used a .220cal cartridge based on the necked-down 7.62x39 cartridge, and called the .220 Russian.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm in the , "I could care less" crowd.

Lots of time and money wasted on silly games.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/s...ics-2018-flagbearer/

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea -- It was a feel-good story for a few hours: Luge veteran Erin Hamlin gets the chance to enter her last Olympics carrying the U.S. flag into the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Games, winning that distinction after a vote by some of her fellow athletes. And then Shani Davis tweeted.

With that, the entire process was called into controversy. The tweet posted to Davis' account said the process by which Hamlin won was executed "dishonorably," and included a reference to Black History Month - raising the question of whether the speedskater was suggesting that race played a role in the decision.

"I am an American and when I won the 1000m in 2010 I became the first American to 2-peat in that event," the tweet said. "Team USA dishonorably tossed a coin to decide its 2018 flag bearer. No problem. I can wait until 2022. #BlackHistoryMonth2018"....

Kinda tired of hearing this every time someone is picked for a distinction. That feel good moment wouldn't have lasted minutes if they'd picked a white guy.

Kind of sucks knowing that no matter what you accomplish as a white guy, someone is going to bitch up a storm if you're recognized.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I never thought I'd find curling interesting, but it kind of is.

And the woman on the Canadian team sure makes it easy to watch...

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post