SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Olympics
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics Login/Join 
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I don't think you realize that since the NHL and the players union could not come to an agreement, no NHL players participated for the US. There were no superstars on the US Mens team only amatuers.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
So a few additional comments on this game from a guy who is a goalie coach for a collegiate women's hockey team...

Wommen's Hockey
This is going to be a huge boost to women's hockey in the USA. It is sorely needed. Anything that inspires kids to work harder is a great thing. They did something the super star men couldn't, that will have some mileage.

As a Goalie Coach
A fabulous display of goal tending. Both goalies were amazing. Some mistakes were made, some they recovered from, some they didn't.

My issue with the shootout. Up until a few years ago a player would come in at full speed, or perhaps 2/3 speed and try and beat the goalie. Then a few years ago this trend started where they come creeping in and do this crazy dance in front of the net. As long as the puck and player keep moving its legal. However you simply can't move a 6'4" 220lbs or a 5'2" 125lbs goalie as fast as a skilled player can move a 6 oz chunk of rubber. The last goal against Canada is a prime example. A mid level player with decent hands can undress just about any goalie at any level with that type of move.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Swwwwweeeeeeeetttttt!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the US Women's Hockey team!

I just wish that it hadn't been in a shootout.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just wish that it hadn't been in a shootout.

Who care's. A win is a win, is a win.

That is how the game is played.

What a win!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The mens team could take lessons from the women on making shots on goal during shoot outs. 0 for 10 in 2 games. Good Lord.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll say it:

I've been aware of it but never really watched curling before. It's interesting. I enjoyed watching it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Ok, I'll say it:

I've been aware of it but never really watched curling before. It's interesting. I enjoyed watching it.

I agree. I had to Google up the rules and strategy of the game before I understood it. After doing that it became really fun to watch.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to watch the curling finals. Does anyone know when they will be on TV tomorrow?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
My issue with the shootout. Up until a few years ago a player would come in at full speed, or perhaps 2/3 speed and try and beat the goalie. Then a few years ago this trend started where they come creeping in and do this crazy dance in front of the net. As long as the puck and player keep moving its legal. However you simply can't move a 6'4" 220lbs or a 5'2" 125lbs goalie as fast as a skilled player can move a 6 oz chunk of rubber. The last goal against Canada is a prime example. A mid level player with decent hands can undress just about any goalie at any level with that type of move.

I must disagree. I've been watching the shootouts fot a long time and neither tactic seems to have an advantage.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I can't wait to watch the curling finals. Does anyone know when they will be on TV tomorrow?

Not sure, but I'm also looking forward to watching it. It'll probably be live late tonight.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
In an overall sense, this is the worst television coverage of an Olympics in my entire lifetime.

Plus, South Korea has also done a terrible job IMO.

Worst Olympics ever!

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I just saw that Hungary won the gold in the short track Men's 5000 meter relay. Their first Olympic winter gold medal ever. I must say I'm pretty impressed; it's gotta be tough for an athlete to achieve that when he's always hungry...

quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

Worst Olympics ever!

Well, what do you expect from an Olympics sponsored by P.F. Chang's?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The bitterness of a loss doesn't fade, even after 30+ years

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

Men's Bronze Medal Game: 23 Feb, 1:35AM EST (3:35PM Korea time)
Men's Gold Medal Game: 24 Feb, 1:35AM EST (3:35PM Korea time)

https://www.olympic.org/pyeong...-date=2018-02-23.htm
https://www.olympic.org/pyeong...-date=2018-02-24.htm

As a side note, curling was better when you could smoke & drink beer in competition. Story from CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asitha...self-on-tv-1.4543241

Curling has been a staple of Canadian winters for decades, but there are some things that have changed over the years — like a skip sliding down the ice with a cigarette in his mouth.

Orest (The Big O) Meleschuk knows a little about smoking on the international stage, because he is the skip in a video that As It Happens recently dug up from the CBC Archives.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I love it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

The shootouts should be run like in-game breakaways. You could do it one of two ways:

1. From the time the shooter touches the puck, he/she has four seconds to shoot. This most closely replicates the scoring chance that a player has lost from being fouled from behind.

2. The shooter starts at the center face-off spot and a player from the opposing team stands 10 feet behind the shooter even with the neutral zone face-off spots. When the shooter touches the puck, the chase is on, just like on a breakaway during play.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

The shootouts should be run like in-game breakaways. You could do it one of two ways:

1. From the time the shooter touches the puck, he/she has four seconds to shoot. This most closely replicates the scoring chance that a player has lost from being fouled from behind.

2. The shooter starts at the center face-off spot and a player from the opposing team stands 10 feet behind the shooter even with the neutral zone face-off spots. When the shooter touches the puck, the chase is on, just like on a breakaway during play.

Fouled from behind? Haha. Tripped, hacked, slashed - yes. Fouled? Um, no - no fouls in the game of hockey.

The entire concept of a shoot out in a gold medal game is absurd. Play 5 on 5 until someone scores - period.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As this Olympic Game winds down I'm feeling a little bit sad. There are now generations who do not know the spice and variety the term "East German judge" brought to the proceedings......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
OKAY... What the hell is a Performance enhancing drug that would help you in Curling?? This is a sport where they drink beer and eat chicken wings between games. The stones are easily thrown by 100 pound women,
But a Russian was Banned for doping...

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Given the cheap head shot by Poulin, I think the Canadians didn't deserve a win.

Mentioned it to a co-worker today, and he hadn't seen it. Found the video ( Here if you haven't seen it) and he watched it, and was as astonished as I was with no penalty call.
No body-checking rule be damned. That was an elbow to the noggin, and should have been a match penalty in my mind. Coach was wanting a major...refs called nothing

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post