SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thermapen Failure ----Update In 1st Post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermapen Failure ----Update In 1st Post Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I'm so impressed by ThermaWorks I'll give them a great review. I received a UPS delivery today and it looks like a brand new one. I don't know, it may be refurbed with a new case (my orange color was discontinued) but it looks new. Even had a small pack of Jelly Belly candy enclosed.

I mailed it, once they got it they didn't mess around, it was either fixed or replaced, they shipped it back out to me within 2 days.

They communicated frequently via email with information and status updates. That's fantastic customer service. For a $25.00 out of warranty charge they did all this, including new batteries and UPS Freight. Buy one with full faith and confidence in them!

My Thermapen, Super-Fast model, has been great, but it has failed. I have no complaints or bad feelings, things fail, that's fine. It's out of warranty.

I spoke with Thermapen, they will fix it for $25.00 flat, including new batteries and return postage to me. Mine is orange, no longer offered, so I have to choose a new color.

^^^^ I'm not complaining, just stating the facts and that I'm ok with this, if anyone else has Thermapen problems.

I am going to purchase another Thermapen for the purpose of having a backup and for upcoming RV use.

So, my question is, anyone have the Thermapop? It's usually only $29 and sometimes on promo for $25-ish, and I'd like to save a few bucks.

I think I'll buy a Thermapop but just wanted to know if anyone else has one and likes it.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Wow, if they'll fix it for $25, which really sounds more like they're replacing it completely(Sorry orange Thermapen), I'd be on that for sure.

Sorry, no experience with the Thermapop.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Got my wife a Themapop for Christmas. (She asked for it, specifically, after seeing/reading a review/recommendation somewhere.) She loves it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I had one that went out after a few years, got the $25 replacement.
No complaints, great guys and service.
PS...I tried to fix it myself and sent it back in pieces, they still sent me a replacement for the $25.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We have two Thermapops. One is for the kitchen, one for my bath. They are a little slower in recording than the Thermapen, but would be fine as a backup.

BTW since first reading about Thermapens on SF, I've bought one for us, two Thermapops, one oven thermometer with probe, and numerous Thermapens gifted to friends and family. It's pretty much the perfect gift, as almost everyone cooks.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I think the best thing you can do for your thermapen is to keep the area that rotates back into the housing, clean.
I used to use them at work and I think that was our number one reason for failure, beside others dropping them.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll add that they were absolutely a delight to deal with. Super courteous, friendly, competent, professional. Answered all my questions, didn't rush me yet wasted no time.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wish every company would replace broken out of warranty stuff for 1/4 the cost of a new one!

I will upgrade to the Mk-4 for the extra features when I get a wild hair.

The only trouble I have had with mine is I'm on the third set of batteries... but it's 6 or 8 years old, so no complaints there. Big Grin

I'll stick with the brightest colors so I can spot them at a glance after I have laid it down or in the drawer, mine is yellow.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the MK4 and it’s worth the premium and a $25 replacement out of warranty is outstanding imho.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While mine was being replaced ($25) I also bought another one Thermapen as a backup.
Nothing worse than deep in a cook and no way to get your temps. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ThermoPop and love it, going on 3 years old, and used multiple times a week. Don't hesitate to get one, and obviously take Thermoworks up on the $25 replacement, as well!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I have a ThermoPop. Open box so no warranty. It maybe slower than a ThermoPen, but not enough for me to care. I also have a Smoke also open box. I am waiting for a MK4 sale, figure it will be my main but I do not feel that it is a need only a want. Given the small price difference and low cost why not go both and when it goes on sale look at adding a MK4?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^. I'm buying a Thermapop now, I'll use it.

I shipped my inop Thermapen today to them in Utah for repair. $25 is a bargain.

However, I'm thinking about buying the new model Mk4. It occurred that Memorial Day is near, it's the start of BBQ season, and they may very well put a good sale on then. We'll see, and if they do I'll get the Mk4. Between home and upcoming RV adventures it will work out just fine for me.

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I am actually impressed with their service on this one. I have bought several for presents over the years. Love them

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
I have had a Pop for 4yrs, no issues. I've given several as gifts. All great. It's a 5-6 sec read time.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
I have had a Pop for 4yrs, no issues. I've given several as gifts. All great. It's a 5-6 sec read time.

They are redesigned and now 3-4 second time.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Bump with update in original post.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Thermapens. My first one needs batteries but my new MK4 is a pleasure to use. I've left them out in the rain and snow and they still keep going. I have heard they have excellent customer service but so far I have had no reason to test it.

Another company that has superb customer service is Camp Chef. Buy any of their stuff with confidence.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have purchased 6 of the for myself and presents. Nothing but glowing reviews.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I have a Thermapen, a MKIV, and a Chef Alarm. My next purchase from them will be a Smoke. Love their stuff.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post