SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those with taller toilets, is the difference even noticeable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those with taller toilets, is the difference even noticeable? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I’m not asking because I want one, but because most of the toilets I find stocked locally seem to be the taller, comfort, ADA whatever term toilet. It seems the seat is about 1 1/2” taller.

For those that have installed one, is the height difference noticeable to you or the shorter people in your household?

This is the kinda thing you’re pretty much stuck with once you buy.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it’s noticeable. My wife and I like them and her mother (who has had knee replacement) says it’s a big difference. It’s funny how much more comfortable it is with the slight height increase.

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I installed "handy-crappers" in both bathrooms when I remodeled years ago.

It was one of my smarter moves and the older I get the more I appreciate the extra height. Standard thrones are actually somewhat uncomfortable now.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
hell yes it is.. The shorter ones shouldn't even be sold unless they are special order for little people!!! Razz

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You’ll need a Squatty Potty to go with that.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
hell yes it is.. The shorter ones shouldn't even be sold unless they are special order for little people!!! Razz

This!

I grew up in a house with a standard toilet. Never knew the glory of the comfort heigh, elongated bowl style until after college when I started living in apartments that all had them.

First townhouse my wife and I rented had regular toilets and I was miserable the whole year.

Thankfully, we bought a house and remodeled the downstairs half bath and put in a nice tall elongated toilet and it's the only one I will use in the house.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes!!!!
When you get on the far side of life, you will really appreciate the additional height.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
Absolutely recommend them. I installed the taller throne and I love the extra comfort.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is to me! Those of us who are “height challenged”, I’m 5’6”, can have problems because the higher seats cut off the circulation to the legs. When I have to sit, I must use my tip-toes to prevent my legs from going to sleep. No problem for the quick “dump and run” but if I’m in for the long haul, they can be problematic.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear this, the home I close on next month had comfort height toilets put in last year.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
They should be mandatory & not an option

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
This isn't the first time I've read about the love of these taller toilets on this forum. They seem to be very popular. I have no personal experience with them so I'm not clear on what the benefit is.

The higher your knees are while doing your business the better. A taller toilet would seem to put you in a less optimal position.

How freaking tall are you people? Smile What's the advantage?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As member pessimist noted: Unless you have knee problems, a taller toilet may not be such a good idea. There is some evidence to suggest even "standard" height toilets may not be healthy for us: For Best Toilet Health: Squat or Sit?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am very tall and it is an improvement.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
They're great, immediately know miss it when travelling.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
got one of the taller ones

did not like it

but if you're really tall I'm sure that makes a difference

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
As member pessimist noted: Unless you have knee problems, a taller toilet may not be such a good idea. There is some evidence to suggest even "standard" height toilets may not be healthy for us: For Best Toilet Health: Squat or Sit?

As Georgeair noted, this is where a Squatty Potty comes in handy.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The taller toilet makes a huge difference. I have installed a couple in my home. The hardest part is finding a comfortable toilet seat to go with them.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I made sure to get the taller elongated one when I replaced my toilet.

Now my kids want me to replace theirs. And my son is short.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm only 5-10 and wouldn't even consider one of the short toilets. I'm surprised they even make them still.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post