SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My former sister in law is being scammed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My former sister in law is being scammed Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So she isn't looking for a relationship but rather a sugar daddy. Ah ha.
She is the one asking for money so sounds more like she is the scammer. Perhaps this is the reason why the OP talking until he is blue in the face has not worked.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Because stupid.

"The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?" -Jeremiah 17:9

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GF's co-worker, about age 59, never married, weighs in at 320 pounds met a military guy, saw "his" picture in uniform online and had a three month relationship which cost her $64,000 which she borrowed without permission from her father's accounts. He is disabled and she is the primary caregiver. There are two other siblings.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
GF's co-worker, about age 59, never married, weighs in at 320 pounds met a military guy, saw "his" picture in uniform online and had a three month relationship which cost her $64,000 which she borrowed without permission from her father's accounts. He is disabled and she is the primary caregiver. There are two other siblings.

Wow!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:

First I've seen that there is no answer to the $64,000 question!

Seriously, it breaks my heart to see others taken advantage of to this degree.

The Polish have a saying, which I'm about to butcher. It goes like this. Single people are much like the man who runs into the tower, so that he feels safe, and has a higher perspective on life, and can share life with others in the tower. But, for every man willing to scrape, and scratch, and fight their way into the tower, he finds there are just as many inside the tower that are scraping, scratching and fighting to get out, but can't.

The moral of the story is not to be so quick and determined to trap yourself in the tower.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Get her to start watching the TV show Catfish.

Or get Nev and Max on the job.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
He paid the $4100 with a fraudulent payment. Before that gets reversed he's going to need $2000 temporarily. She will wire him the $2000, feeling secure in that he already gave her $4100. The $2000 will be gone just before she finds out that the $4100 was a bad payment, and she'll be out the $2000 and still have the $4100 credit card debt.

The ONLY question here is if I'm dead on with the $2000, or if it will be a little more or less. He may even go for $4000.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Have her get details from him about Murray. I grew up not far from there. I bet you he doesn't know stuff like the Dairy Queen shuts down in the winter or that their used to be a Piggly Wiggly where the Food Giant is now.

I know people living in Murray right now I could check his story with.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is very likely to become stranded in whatever country he is in and it is going to cost 10k for him to get back to the states and see her.
Of course she will be hesitant to send him 10k but he assures her it will be alright he is legit and already paid off her card to the tune of 4K. Plus he already has her card info. She agrees. Cost him 4K upfront but he has now pocketed 6k when he gets the 10k.
From that point on any use of the card is authorized and not illegal per se.

Amazing what loneliness and desperation will do. Seeing lots of scams where fellas will front TRUE money to get the claws of love in a bit deeper. Get a lot more money in the end.

--------------------------------------

This is what is going on. Honest Lou nailed it as well in a shorter post. Sad. PT Barnum was right. You cannot help someone who does not listen. I encounter sociopaths on a pretty frequent basis, and have no doubt as to the story. Keep us posted, and good luck.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
She is broke. I don't see how she could send him any money. She sent me a picture that he emailed her. I would like to post it here to see if someone could identify some writing at the bottom of the picture but I don't host pictures anywhere.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
postimage is easy to use. I figured it out so not complex.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
She is broke. I don't see how she could send him any money. She sent me a picture that he emailed her. I would like to post it here to see if someone could identify some writing at the bottom of the picture but I don't host pictures anywhere.

POSTIMAGE...

we gots to know...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
The guy can't fix his phone but has $4100 to spend outright.....

WINNER!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
He is very likely to become stranded in whatever country he is in and it is going to cost 10k for him to get back to the states and see her.
Of course she will be hesitant to send him 10k but he assures her it will be alright he is legit and already paid off her card to the tune of 4K. Plus he already has her card info. She agrees. Cost him 4K upfront but he has now pocketed 6k when he gets the 10k.
From that point on any use of the card is authorized and not illegal per se.

Amazing what loneliness and desperation will do. Seeing lots of scams where fellas will front TRUE money to get the claws of love in a bit deeper. Get a lot more money in the end.

I knew a local guy, who lost his wife to cancer. Few months later, he met some gal from Tennessee , who wooed and screwed him. Listening to him, she was the crown of creation, months later found out she dumped him after he paid off her home mortgage.

You will not be able to convince your ex sis in law anything, it will have to be learned.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Cynic in me says the guy obtained a balance transfer check intended for someone else, used it to pay off her C/C. So until it hits the other person's C/C monthly bill and then they put it into dispute all looks good to go.

So he could have a month or so to play his hand out.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Cynic in me says the guy obtained a balance transfer check intended for someone else, used it to pay off her C/C. So until it hits the other person's C/C monthly bill and then they put it into dispute all looks good to go.

So he could have a month or so to play his hand out.

This is the truth. This is partially why banks do not like non-accounts holders/owners making deposits and payments on accounts they are not party to. This guy is building credibility by using some nefarious/stolen counter/accomodation/fake postal money orders. She needs to give it more like 45 days to let it play out before she counts her blessings. Not only that, if I were her, I'd inquire as to the source of funds and if any form short of a wire transfer used to payoff the card, she needs to go ahead and let them know that there may be fraud in play. If she doesn't, they'll hit her for back interest and a fee for processing non-sufficient funds. Hell they may still do that anyway.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I hate those unsolicited "checks" in the mail. Any quarter witted person can figure out what they are by the envelope and it's usual "Important Documents Inside" printed on it.

They should be available upon request only or better only by electronic funds transfer. No longer could they be written out and tendered as a check to anyone for any reason.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Her ex left because she is an idiot.

Therein lies the problem

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
She has joined a few of those online dating sites and has carried on a few "relationships" with guys she's never met.

It's not a "relationship" if it's with someone she's never met.
She should just stay away from those websites.
At best, it's a waste of time.

She needs to get involved in something local, like a church group or doing some volunteer work and she will meet real people.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been "paid off" by some other source that will be found to be fraudulent within about 30 days and the balance restored.

SCAM.

But some people just can't be taught.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post