SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My former sister in law is being scammed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My former sister in law is being scammed Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
My wifes brother divorced his wife two years ago after a fifteen year marriage, both were at fault. We really like her and stay in touch with her on a regular basis. She has joined a few of those online dating sites and has carried on a few "relationships" with guys she's never met. She has spent countless hours texting and talking to these guys and has never met one of them. The "relationship " never goes anywhere because the guy always has an excuse why he can't make it to town and each guy has been away out of the country for work reasons. We have talked to her and have tried to explain to her that these guys are trying to scam her. Two of them have asked for money but she swears she has never sent any of them money. She's so desperate for a relationship that she can't see that these guys are con men. The latest one says he is a geologist who lives in Murray Ky but is currently overseas working for an oil company. He can't send pictures on his phone or FaceTime her because he says his phone is broken, but he can text and talk. She's been talking/texting this one for about a month now. Today she called my wife and said that this guy paid off the $4100 balance she owed on a credit card. She gave this guy her credit card number but not the cvv number. There's no fucking way a guy is going to pay off a $4100 balance for someone he has never met. I don't know anything about credit card fraud/phishing but I suspect she's going to wake up tomorrow with a credit card charged to the max. She says she's not worried because he doesn't have the security cvv number from the back of her card, I think she's fucking nuts. We told her to close the account but she won't, we can't convince her so I guess she's going to get screwed.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, yes, I think there's a scam running here.

I can't believe the guy paid off her CC at the tune of $4100 to scam her... that's one helleva investment which could go south in a hurry. Of coarse, he could have paid it off using someone else's CC info?

And since 'maybe' he has that kind of money, WHY would he need her CC info?

Those sites are full of money grabbers.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
if it seems too good to be true....

it's a scam.

...or it's true love?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
She should check her account like call up the credit card company.

Why not give her the money outright? Sounds fishy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

She called, it's definitely paid off. I don't know what the limit is on this card. I can't help the girl, I've talked to her till I was blue in the face.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Well, if it is definitely paid off, she needs to call (now....), and explain that she believes her card has been compromised (or she lost it).
She would like her card cancelled///replaced with a new account number.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Some online relationships actually turn out ok, but the ones described in the op do sound fishy. The whole phone is broken story doesn't fly, especially when he can afford to somehow pay off her $4100 debt. Maybe he's got money but looks like hell and is too embarrassed to send a pic. Maybe it's Catlin Jenner...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

She called, it's definitely paid off. I don't know what the limit is on this card. I can't help the girl, I've talked to her till I was blue in the face.

Wait a couple days and then check.....when the check bounces or comes back on a closed account or no account.

Until then, keep an eye on charges. You don't always need the CVV number to make transactions.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
Well, if it is definitely paid off, she needs to call (now....), and explain that she believes her card has been compromised (or she lost it).
She would like her card cancelled///replaced with a new account number.

We can't convince her to cancel the card, she says she's not concerned, doesn't believe it's a scam.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So she isn't looking for a relationship but rather a sugar daddy. Ah ha.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
He is very likely to become stranded in whatever country he is in and it is going to cost 10k for him to get back to the states and see her.
Of course she will be hesitant to send him 10k but he assures her it will be alright he is legit and already paid off her card to the tune of 4K. Plus he already has her card info. She agrees. Cost him 4K upfront but he has now pocketed 6k when he gets the 10k.
From that point on any use of the card is authorized and not illegal per se.

Amazing what loneliness and desperation will do. Seeing lots of scams where fellas will front TRUE money to get the claws of love in a bit deeper. Get a lot more money in the end.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The guy can't fix his phone but has $4100 to spend outright.....

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Her ex left because she is an idiot.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The Internet is an open border leaving our most helpless to fend for themselves against the worst the world has to offer. One day, this lack of policing and border control will cause our nation serious harm. We build a wall to slow the tide of southern immigration while are hospitals are decimated by ransomeware and our industries are infiltrated and their most valuable intellectual property is spirited away.

I can't even imagine how often the elderly are robbed in this way.

Posts: 11384 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
No pics? C'mon man there may be a forum member that is worthy of meeting her, no?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
SCAM

Plus she's proven she's an idiot after all the sensible info the OP has given to her

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Big Grin

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Hook is in let us know when they (he) reels her in.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Her ex left because she is an idiot.

Lol. You cant fix this. If you already explained it to her and she cant seem to understand then walk away. She is a grown adult and can find out herself.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post