SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Golfers: A moment?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golfers: A moment? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have approximately 50 new-in-box golf balls, mostly Top Flite, a couple Titleist.

I don't golf, we got them while cleaning out a house for some folks.

Plan to sell them, need an idea what they're worth.

Top Flites are mostly XL and XL 2000 model.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Those are not really an enthusiast's ball so about fifty cents a piece, give or take.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Schulz has got it. You might be better off donating them to a jr. golf program in the area and you could take the full retail value for taxes.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Those are not really an enthusiast's ball so about fifty cents a piece, give or take.

Thanks kinda what I thought. The Walmart of Golf Balls.

Thanks, I'll just donate them.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
50 sleeves or 50 balls?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Are old golf balls (age unknown) any good regardless of label?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
50 sleeves or 50 balls?

50 balls total. One box of 24, several of 3 or 4 each.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

Depends on the golfer. The ball won't age sitting in a box. But the older technology is, well, older. For the average golfer that shoots 100 I don't think the balls would make any difference at all. For a golfer that shoots in the 80's and old cheap ball would not work at all IMO.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've heard they absorb moisture in time and lose performance.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

I've heard they absorb moisture in time and lose performance.

Especially the ones fished out of the water hazard. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Karma for the golfers of Sigforum.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about donating them to a local high school team.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
not worth the shipping cost, pretty low grade golf balls we call them rock flights as they are hard as hell , I would hand them to some new kid who is hanging out at the range.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Top Flite golf balls are crap, not to put too fine a point on it.

I am not overly fussy about golf balls, but I won't even pick up a Top Flite. They feel like marbles against a golf club. Harsh, hard, and clicky. And they don't spin for shit.

Top Flite used to make a decent balls, but they are bottom of the barrel now. You might not be able to sell second hand ones at all.

High school team golfers won't want them. Those kids can play golf. They don't want those crummy balls.

Titleist makes good balls. The least of Titleist's balls are decent, and the good ones are in the top tier. Expensive, too. A dozen Pro V1 or Pro V1x balls is $50 or so.

Old golf balls can age out, but it would take a while if they were stored indoors.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Not worth donating to a HS program. Most would turn up their noses, sad to say.

Now, a first tee program or youth golf outreach program might take them.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Those XLs are ancient.
I agree that most Top Flites are crappy, EXCEPT the Gamer and Gamer Tours.
Those are exceptional balls for the price, especially the Tours.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you would be lucky to get $10 out of them, Very lucky. Not worth the gas and effort to sell them. Donate them to a local First Tee program.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
15 years ago when I was playing a lot, if I found a Topflite in the woods I'd leave it there.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post