SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Member behavior and the administering of SIGforum
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Member behavior and the administering of SIGforum Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This is a subject I've been meaning to address for some time, and now seems like a good time to do so.

There is a fascinating dichotomy in this forum, with respect to member attitudes towards how this forum is run.

On the one hand- On a regular basis, members of this forum express gratitude not just for the existence of this venue, which is, as discussion forums go, an unusual place in many respects, but also, they express gratitude for the way this forum is run. I am told all the time that my established policies are fair and well thought out. Furthermore, these policies are conscientiously implemented, adhering not to the letter of the law, but to its spirit. Put plainly, I bend the rules when bending the rules makes sense. Additionally- for those of you who don't notice, I am Johnny-on-the-spot. I am in this forum all the time and sometimes, an errant post is up for about 60 seconds before it gets a response from me. Sometimes, it is because I see it myself; other times, it is because a member has used the forum software to report a post to me, at which point I immediately get an email alert containing a link to the post, along with the member's concern.

I don't see how anyone could do a better and more efficient job than I. Mind you, I am not fishing for compliments. There's no need for that, none at all. As I said, members kindly pay such compliments all the time. All the time. And it's very much appreciated. Truly, it is. No, I point out these things to demonstrate, given what I have just said, a remarkable contrast, which is what creates the dichotomy.

Gentlemen, I am sick and tired of being accused of being unfair to this member or that, when some point of contention arises. Administrators of many, many fora of all kind are distant from their membership. They leave the day-to-day running of their forum to moderators, but in this forum, the boss is present most of the time, but I am not merely the boss- I am also a participating member. Consequently, I become involved with many discussions here. Sometimes, such discussions become contentious, which, in discussion forums, is the nature of the beast. But, because I call the shots here, something comes about in some of these threads that I have had my fill of- I am sick and tied of some members failing to acknowledge basic human nature. It may be that in other places on the internet, the boss mixes in with the members, and that he is such a good-natured fellow that he willingly- perhaps even happily- receives a ration of shit from members and never bats an eye. I am not this way, and all regular members here know it, but I am not unique. That is to say- many, perhaps most of you- if you were in charge of a place like this, you would have definite limits as to how much static you would be willing to put up with, and after that point, you would say "enough".
If you're in a courtroom and the judge is presiding, would you expect that judge to bandy words with an upset lawyer or defendant or plaintiff ad infinitum? Of course not. There will be a point where the judge- because it is his court over which he is presiding- will bang his gavel and say "Sit down and be quiet". And if the upset party persists, he will do what? He will threaten them with contempt of court. And if after that, the yammering continues, what happens?

I am sick and tired of some upset member or other telling me that I am nothing but a bully, and that it's "your house and your rules", which means that the only reason they are complying and the only reason I can claim to be on the right side of the argument is because I call the shots.
The dichotomy continues, with some members complimenting me that I seem to have a vast ocean of patience, with other members suggesting that I am an intolerant bully. Both of these things cannot be true. And, by the way, I don't need to be in charge of this place in order to hold my own in a debate. I do just fine in that respect, thank you. I have it on the ball as much as anyone here, and I don't need handicapping to make my points.

I do my best to be fair, but, after all the time I've invested in this forum and after all the care and thought I've put into creating a place that makes sense, I reserve the right to not engage in endless arguments with this upset member or that. No one here is under contract. No one has to be here. This BS about me being unfair because I won't go back and forth endlessly in a disagreement with some member has gone on long enough.
What it comes down to is that if you get into it with me, it's not going to go on for very long, and I am not going to sit and read three thousand word essays because someone is upset. One way or another, the noise will cease.

I want you guys to feel free to respond to all of this, and if one of you wants to call me a son of a bitch, well, here's your unique end of the year opportunity to do so without consequences. Go ahead and sound off if you like, but I have had it with certain members thinking that I owe them something and that I am expected to go back and forth endlessly with them. You can't have the last word when the guy on the other side owns that privilege and if that's too honest for some of you guys, thats not my problem. Again, I am not unique, and many if not most of you would feel the same way and react the same way as I if you were in charge.

So, please, have at it. It's the end of the year and this is my gift to all of you. Say whatever you wish, because I've had my say and now it's your turn.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Well I think you do a damn fine job!

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Good!
Would you care to be more specific?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I've met sons of bitches, and you are not one.

I think you run a pretty fine establishment, and the only one I've stuck with over time.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Para, I, for one, truly appreciate the damned fine job you do in running this forum. I can think of no way to make it better!

Some people seem to find some "reason" to bitch and complain. I have been here for quite a while and take this opportunity to thank you for the time and effort you put into keeping this place the exceptional forum it is, and has been!

Thank you. Sir!

I know you were not fishing for compliments, but in my view mine was truly warranted.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Maybe now people will understand. You must be retired to be this vigilant.
Good on ya.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this. I had a long conversation on the phone with you some time ago regarding an effort to support a member.

I found you to be reasonable, sincere, caring and open to suggestion on the best way to proceed.

Furthermore, I was a soldier once, and hierarchical organizations must have rules to function, and stay reasonably clear of static.

You, the moderators, and the general members do this both through overt conduct, commentary, and sometimes discipline.

It can't be any other way, as an unmoderated forum dissolves into chaos, insult, and idiocy.

In addition, SIGFORUM has a large enough footprint on the internet to be found by search engines, and those who would restrict 2A rights. Not only does sensible moderation preserve the character of the forum, it also protects the 2A from overt idiocy that could be found, quoted, and used against our interests.

I thank you for the opportunity to be a member here, I appreciate the patience you show (more than I would in some cases), and enforcement in the spirit, rather than the letter of the rules.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The only bitch I have, and I've learned to live with it, is that on occasion I have asked what the specific nature of my offense was.

I'm not asking because I'm butt-hurt, I'm trying to learn WHY what I did was unacceptable so that I can avoid similar issues in the future.

Being told, in effect, "Because I said so" isn't really helpful.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furthermore, I was a soldier once, and hierarchical organizations must have rules to function, and stay reasonably clear of static.

What Art said. I typed a lot of stuff, then deleted it, my military experience, as well, sums it up.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've belonged to several different forums and types of forums over the years but I've always said Sigforum is the best. The membership here is generally good people and you run the place fairly and as well as can be done. You let things roll and you give folks some rope but when the pimp hand is needed it's needed. I've been around the forum for a fair amount of time and I appreciate it being here and the work you do.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Very well said Artie

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on this forum more than 10 years. It is my first choice for topics well beyond one of my addictions (SIGs).

I've always found the forum to be informative, to offer a diverse range of views and to have a great group of members.

None of this would be possible without a disciplined owner and editor. I may not always agree with you, Para (there is no one I always agree with), but I always respect your decisions.

I judge by results. What this forum offers to me daily is a result I highly value and it would not be possible without your efforts.

Thank you and looking for another great year in 2020.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely wear underwear. when I do it's usually something unusual.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Through the years, I have seen you make a few decisions and calls that would make me scratch my head, so what? It's not like Dr Evil took over the world. But for 99% of the time, you're spot on.

Folks have to realize that you're not a fuckin' machine or robot, but a human being like everyone else here, and trying to be a lone, single umpire in a never ending baseball game of words, attitude, and emotions, involving thousands of players. And that has little to do with this being "your house" and all of that. It's a huge task.

I can't imagine how many forum issues and conflicts you have to deal with on a daily basis, in addition to your real life outside the forum. Can't imagine. And to those who don't like the decisions or calls being made, for Christ's sake, don't drag it out and beat it to a pulp. It is needless and useless.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I for one have no complaints. The one time I inserted politics into a non-political thread, you casually remarked about the rule rather than making me feel like an ass.

This forum is an extremely rare commodity compared to almost any one you could name. Some are so draconian you cannot even spell out cuss words with symbols or asterisks without being reprimanded. We, by comparison, are allowed to express ourselves which when temps run hot, sometimes involves colorful language. And be reminded when it is in poor form or getting out of hand.

The generosity of the members here mirrors the generosity that we are shown by being a part of the best forum on the webs. I’ve seen no other sites where you can be gifted anything from stickers to watches to guns. This is a community and a gift at the same time and I see no problems with the way it’s run.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
In all the years here I cannot recall ever contacting the mods or you (para) complaining about something you need to do or not do or had done.

I enjoy virtually every aspect of your forum.

The things that bind us together are way more important than the things that divide us.

The things that you do are the things that have to be done. If no one is willing to do them there is nothing worthy left. So because of that Para you have my respect.

So when I say "Good". I mean "Good".

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’ve been here for slightly over 17 years. I’ve tried to keep my nose clean as I’ve always felt like I’m your guest. I’ve felt you’ve been a fair host during this time. Mind you, I’ve read things I’ve disagreed with as I’m sure you have read from me. But, who doesn’t have disagreements with friends and family? However, as a guest, I’ve always thought I should be respectful of your time, money and effort - which I appreciate. And, after 17 years, if I didn’t think it was run well, I’d be gone. Thanks!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I think you crush it when it comes to running the forum.

There’s very few things that I’ve continued on with for this long.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only had to read about 1/2 of your post and everything you said sounded good to me and I'm pretty much in all agreement so thank you very much and Happy New Year!!

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post