SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ohio State Fair ride accident....***UPDATE pg 3 -- Caused by corrosion***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio State Fair ride accident....***UPDATE pg 3 -- Caused by corrosion*** Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
18-Year-Old Killed On Malfunctioning Ohio Fair Ride Had Just Joined The Marines
By ADAM WEINSTEIN on July 27, 2017 T&P ON FACEBOOK
Tyler Jarrell still had his senior year of high school to finish, but he knew what he wanted to do next summer after graduation: claim the title of United States Marine. On July 21, he signed his enlistment papers.

On July 26, he was killed, the sole fatality in a horrific amusement-park accident that injured seven others at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus.

Several of the injured, including the 18-year-old Jarrell, were on the 40-foot-high swinging, spinning “Fire Ball” ride when something malfunctioned, and riders on one section were thrown off high in the air — a tragedy captured on video by multiple bystanders, some of whom were also injured by falling debris.

One witness told CNN everyone nearby ran for their lives. “I just don’t think I’ll ever ride a ride ever again,” she added.

On July 27, the Marine Corps issued a statement to media outlets confirming that Jarrell had just enlisted in the service with hopes of becoming an infantryman or a combat engineer, according to Fox News.

“Our heartfelt condolences go out to Poolee Tyler Jarrell’s family and all of those affected by his loss,” the statement read. “The Marines here are greatly saddened by this tragedy. We are truly proud to have known him as one of the brave few willing to step up and serve his country in the United States Marine Corps.”

Just four days before the mishap that took his life, Jarrell was featured on his recruiting station’s Facebook page:

Many Facebook users are now leaving messages of sympathy on the page.

Authorities said the ride had passed multiple inspections in recent days. Gov. John Kasich vowed there would be an immediate investigation, and all rides would shut down until they could be scrutinized further. The AP reported that several other states were shutting down similar rides until their safety could be assured. The Dutch manufacturer of the Fire Ball, KMG, also requested a global safety shutdown of all its machines.

http://taskandpurpose.com/tyle...ay&utm_content=title

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw on the news this morning that the ride manufacturer had sent out a memo a while back warning of metal fatigue and advising non-destructive testing to check for cracks. Wondering if that was ever done

One would assume, and I know how assumption works, that those charged with inspecting these rides would be aware of that memo. Being aware, evidence of that testing should be required to pass future inspections.

I don't know how common it is, but there are companies that have portable x-ray devices for inspecting metal and welds.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
***UPDATE***

Ride failure caused by corrosion.

http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ml#incart_river_home

Investigators have determined excessive corrosion caused a ride malfunction that killed a man and injured seven other people last month at the Ohio State Fair.

Investigators for KMG, the Dutch company that manufactures the Fireball thrill ride that broke apart July 26 in Columbus, determined corrosion dangerously reduced the thickness of the ride's interior support beam. The ride was 18 years old, the company said in a statement posted on its Facebook page.

Tyler Jarrell, an 18-year-old student at Franklin Heights High School, was killed when one of the ride's seat cars became detached from the ride. Seven other people were injured.

KMG investigators inspected the ride during a visit to the Ohio State Fair. They also reviewed video of the deadly malfunction.

The company is instituting new safety protocols for inspecting and maintaining rides, KMG product manager Albert Kroon said in the statement.

Ohio State Fair organizers shuttered rides after the deadly malfunction. The rides reopened days later after they were re-inspected.

Jarrell's family has hired a civil attorney to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit, according to the Associated Press.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
I saw on the news this morning that the ride manufacturer had sent out a memo a while back warning of metal fatigue and advising non-destructive testing to check for cracks. Wondering if that was ever done

One would assume, and I know how assumption works, that those charged with inspecting these rides would be aware of that memo. Being aware, evidence of that testing should be required to pass future inspections.

I don't know how common it is, but there are companies that have portable x-ray devices for inspecting metal and welds.

They don't even need X-rays.. they can do magnetic particle testing as well

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I would bet most of these rides are given a visual once-over at best.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
***UPDATE***

Ride failure caused by corrosion.

Now that's just inexcusable. Stuff was probably painted over so many times you couldn't even see the metal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok.... The thing was 18 years old. What is the safe service life for this contraption?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad event event.

I was in a convenience store very late one night and saw a group of wackadoos. Person I was with said there must be a carnival in town. No sooner one turns around and says there was. Thats when I noticed the Carnie T shirts. No way would I trust them to construct anything of that magnitude.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember being at a "parking lot carnival" as kid with my Dad. He was waiting in line with me and my friend so we could ride some kind of twirl and toss ride. At some point while waiting a large bolt landed on the ground in between us (lucky is didn't hit us). My Dad picked it up and went to show it to the operator who did not stop the ride nor seem to give a shit. We left and to this day i will not take my kids to anything like that

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that's just inexcusable. Stuff was probably painted over so many times you couldn't even see the metal.

I bet the corrosion was from the inside out. I deal with that with some of the equipment that we use.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ok.... The thing was 18 years old. What is the safe service life for this contraption?

From what I've seen of those things, about a week.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

From what I've seen of those things, about a week.

I'm guessing 17 years.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I was in a convenience store very late one night and saw a group of wackadoos. Person I was with said there must be a carnival in town. No sooner one turns around and says there was. Thats when I noticed the Carnie T shirts. No way would I trust them to construct anything of that magnitude.

When I was a cop, burglaries went up 1000% when the carnival was in town. And not small time stuff. I'm talking business burglaries where 500K worth of inventory was cleaned out in a night. So much inventory, that it would take 5 to 10 full size moving vans to remove everything, and a crew of 8 to 10 guys loading. Once the lights go off at the carnival, the real work starts.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post