SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ohio State Fair ride accident....***UPDATE pg 3 -- Caused by corrosion***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio State Fair ride accident....***UPDATE pg 3 -- Caused by corrosion*** Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yeah my thoughts are along the same lines, no way I'm getting on the rides, although millions do and live every day sure is a tragic event..

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was little, Dad mentioning that he would only ever consider riding carnival rides in MD or VA, because he happened to know that they had tighter inspection standards than other places. Not sure how true that was at the time, but I've always been a little nervous and tend to look at the hitch pins, etc., when Mrs.BurtonRW and I are enjoying these events.

Fortunately for me, our riding is pretty much limited to the ferris wheel and the scrambler.

I'll save the more adventurous rides for bona fide amusement parks... where occasional catastrophic failures can still occur, but I reckon are much less likely.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
What might attribute to this is "load". A ride may inspect and test just fine in a dry run, but fill it full of people and all of a sudden that load might just be the trigger point for catastrophic failure such as this.

I'm in NO WAY defending the carnies that are responsible for said assembly/testing; just trying to think outside the box...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
More evidence I was right to swear off these temporary setup rides about circa 1985.....

I love coasters and rides, but not the janky as fuck traveling ones. No way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, most likely assembly error by the employees. However could be metal fatigue, or replacing a Grade 8 bolt with a Grade 2. I have never ridden a fair ride for just this reason.

I prefer running whitewater in a kayak or scuba diving to 150' using trimix, as these activities are dependent upon skill not luck.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My Dad would never let us on these kind of portable rides you see at fairs and festivals and I guess he was right all along. They are dangerous as shit, poorly maintained and run by kids who have no clue.

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There've been several news reports of failed rides, the last couple years or so, no?

I think I'd be disinclined to get on any of 'em, myself.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Remember, these aren't the typical amusement park rides although many look similar. They are not erected once and run in place. Not only are they put up and taken down several times a month they bounce down freeways and other roads placing additional loads on the structure. Repairs are often done quickly by someone who "know hadda weld" so they are back in service and making money as quick as possible.

Tragic but the surprise is that it doesn't happen more often

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because I like statistics.....

I found some research that said there are approximately 8 injuries for every 1,000,000 portable carnival rides.

Apparently it's still safer than riding your bike down the street. Roughly 1,000 deaths and 450,000 injuries per year.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Because I like statistics.....

I found some research that said there are approximately 8 injuries for every 1,000,000 portable carnival rides.

Apparently it's still safer than riding your bike down the street. Roughly 1,000 deaths and 450,000 injuries per year.

Nice perspective for this thread. One accident and everyone is saying "told you so," but it's pretty rare these things result in death or major injury.

It will be interesting to see the results of the investigation.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A ride that could hurtle me to my demise? Assembled by methed out drifters? And you want me to pay? No thanks amigo.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad. I remember years ago my sister and her boyfriend at the time,prior to any cell phones, went to the Miami fair. The news had a breaking report about a ride that had a car break off and flew into the crowd near by. The way they described the 2 people that died, we swore it was them. Fortunately, that was not the case but a devastating night for a couple of other parents.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Anyone wanting to see local news coverage can watch the abc affiliate at abc6onyourside.com. They stream during their newscasts.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
What might attribute to this is "load". A ride may inspect and test just fine in a dry run, but fill it full of people and all of a sudden that load might just be the trigger point for catastrophic failure such as this.

I'm in NO WAY defending the carnies that are responsible for said assembly/testing; just trying to think outside the box...

When we were at Cedar Point in May, we saw them testing the roller coasters with water filled dummies buckled in the seats each morning.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Have they said if the young man lost was one ejected or one trapped on the broken section or one of the bystanders not even on the ride?

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have they said if the young man lost was one ejected or one trapped on the broken section or one of the bystanders not even on the ride?

The news program I just watched said he was thrown over 50 feet. I'm assuming he was ejected.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
They're announcing the casualty had just enlisted in the Marines. He wouldn't go to boot camp till next summer. He had to finish his last year in High School.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
SNIP:
The Dutch manufacturer of the fairground ride, KMG, told the Associated Press in an email it was built in 1998 in the Netherlands.

That's almost 20 years of stress... and build - tear down cycles on that rig.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...fire-ball-rides.html

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
They're announcing the casualty had just enlisted in the Marines. He wouldn't go to boot camp till next summer. He had to finish his last year in High School.

Tyler Jarrell, an 18y/o, had just enlisted in the USMC 5 days earlier.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oh...just-joined-marines/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I saw on the news this morning that the ride manufacturer had sent out a memo a while back warning of metal fatigue and advising non-destructive testing to check for cracks. Wondering if that was ever done

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post