SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ohio State Fair ride accident....***UPDATE pg 3 -- Caused by corrosion***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio State Fair ride accident....***UPDATE pg 3 -- Caused by corrosion*** Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted

http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ml#incart_river_home

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A swinging and spinning amusement park ride called the Fire Ball broke apart on the opening day of the Ohio State Fair on Wednesday, hurtling people through the air, killing at least one and injuring seven others.

Three of the injured remained hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday night, authorities said at a late-night news conference.

"The fair is about the best things in life, and tonight with this accident it becomes a terrible, terrible tragedy," said Republican Gov. John Kasich.

The man who was killed was one of several people who were thrown when the ride malfunctioned, Columbus Fire Battalion Chief Steve Martin said earlier.

Dramatic video captured by a bystander shows the ride swinging back and forth like a pendulum and spinning in the air when it crashes into something and part of the ride flies off, throwing riders to the ground.

A company providing rides at the fair this year describes the Fire Ball as an "aggressive thrill" ride.

On its website, Amusements of America says that since its debut in 2002, the Fire Ball has become "one of the most popular thrill rides on the AOA Midway." The company description of the ride says it swings riders 40 feet (12 meters) above the midway while spinning them at 13 revolutions per minute.

The company did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

"All of the rides at the fair are checked several times when they are being set up to ensure they are set up the way the manufacturer intended," said Director of Agriculture David Daniels, adding that the Fire Ball passed its inspections.

"We started out today with 11 rides that did not open because the inspection work was not done on them," said Daniels. Four rides will not be operating because they do not meet the mechanical test, he said.

Kasich has ordered that all of the rides be shut down until additional safety inspections can be completed.

The fair runs through Aug. 6.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bigboreshooter,

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I wish to eliminate the term "malfunction" when clearly it was a failure, possibly mechanical, but I'm betting it was operator error - most likely failure to properly secure nuts and bolts holding it together.

Does this rise to criminal negligence / manslaughter?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I wish to eliminate the term "malfunction" when clearly it was a failure, possibly mechanical, but I'm betting it was operator error - most likely failure to properly secure nuts and bolts holding it together.

Obviously. The damned thing literally came apart mid-swing.

quote:

That depends on the cause of the failure, but sure it could.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

quote:

-Rob

It could be the failure of hardware as well. Over torqued holts, corroded metal, wrong type of bolt material, wrong bolt grade...an investigation will hopefully bear that out.

Most likely scenario is as you say though; someone simply overlooked or forgot to properly tighten or torque the fasteners.

That's a pretty horrific accident.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
More evidence I was right to swear off these temporary setup rides about circa 1985.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Ack. There was at least one limb amputation at impact. Eek

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The news statement I watched said it had been inspected 2 or 3 times in the days immediately prior.

The bottom platform moves up and down. I wonder if it hit something on the pendulum or if it broke apart on its own?

A lot of lives changed forever and at least one ended.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
More evidence I was right to swear off these temporary setup rides about circa 1985.....

Yep. Haven't been on one since about then myself.

One look at the doper carnies slapping them things together should be enough to keep anyone off.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I never found any thrill in those "cheating death" kind of activities whether it be jumping out of planes, bungee jumping or amusement park rides that are most often not maintained to my standards.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Yep. Haven't been on one since about then myself.

One look at the doper carnies slapping them things together should be enough to keep anyone off.

This. I'm hard pressed to let my son ride the kiddie rides when you see who operates them at the things.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

quote:

-Rob

It could be the failure of hardware as well. Over torqued holts, corroded metal, wrong type of bolt material, wrong bolt grade...an investigation will hopefully bear that out.

Most likely scenario is as you say though; someone simply overlooked or forgot to properly tighten or torque the fasteners.

That's a pretty horrific accident.

Could it be metal fatigue?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course it could. Despite the best maintenance, inspections, proper assembly, etc. stuff still breaks. This could be human error just as easily as it could have nothing to do with human involvement.

Only way to know is an investigation to piece together what happened.

I'm middle of the road on the carnival rides. I'll ride the tame ones. I will not ride the types shown in the video.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Could be a sheared bolt, broken bracket etc. It would take testing beyond visual inspection to determine metallurgical issues.

It would be interesting to see how much it was used in place before the incident.

If it wasn't assembled correctly it would have probably failed pretty quick. If it was there a while, something probably broke.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Granted, this was 20 years ago, but I remember walking through the midway at our county fair when the carnies were assembling the rides. I very clearly heard this exchange
"Hey, you see that big box of safety pins"
"No, not since last fair"
"Where did you put it?"
"Might have left it there.... just use those bolts in that other box"

Eek

Decided right then and there I'd never get on one of those rides again. Clearly safety is not at the top of the list of those operating those rides. Collecting money, smoking, and drinking appear to be much higher.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

Certainly. That's part of what I meant by over torqued bolts.

The old saying, "tight is loose" comes to mind.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
The news statement I watched said it had been inspected 2 or 3 times in the days immediately prior.

The bottom platform moves up and down. I wonder if it hit something on the pendulum or if it broke apart on its own?

A lot of lives changed forever and at least one ended.

It appears to me that one of the 'leading' chairs broke off at the attachment to the ride. Everything else was a result of colliding with the first chair.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn that really stinks.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very sad situation. I agree that there is great potential for such incidents, due to these rides being repeatedly assembled/disassembled and the type of uneducated workers (carnies) responsible for safety and maintenance of these rides.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Terrible Frown , With these contraptions it is really surprising to me more of this doesn't happen. Large metal mass' moving, twisting, swinging, spinning, etc.
Prayers for the injured.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
First thing heard on the video.

"It's going to be fun, don't worry about anything".

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post