SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sig Forum Orthopods: A compu-consult please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Forum Orthopods: A compu-consult please Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Yeah, I know you can't say until I see the MRI. But, youngest sister, mid-50's had a knee injury at work - workmans' comp case.

She lives in a medium Mississippi town with, in my estimation, questionable practitioners.

MRi showed a torn meniscus, per local ortho. He scoped knee. Found no torn meniscus, but "arthritis" which he "cleaned out". Now four+ months post-op, she is still having significant pain, and mobility limitations (limp).

It has been a very long time for me and I just do not remember recovery expectations for this procedure (which did not exist in my days).

Is this in line with what you would expect with a typical patient?

I will try to get copies of the MRI DVD's but with these guys, they may be hard to pry loose.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’ve had each of my knees done twice over the years. The last two that I had done I was up and running in about two weeks!! Literally running!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on the surgeon. When I was in the Navy I had a meniscus tear repair that took almost a year for it to be back to "normal". Later I had another done and was back to doing normal things within a couple of weeks with no pain.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I’m not an ortho, but I am a worker’s comp attorney, so sometimes I think I am. I certainly deal with messed up knees and related medicals on a daily basis.

What was the original mechanism of injury? How old is she?

Did she have any complaints at all prior to that?

Is she better, the same, or worse since the surgery?

Happy to make some educated guesses, but if there was no meniscus tear, I’d love to know exactly what the surgeon did. You can’t “clean up” arthrits, but you can scrape and smooth the bony rubbing surfaces in an effort to reduce friction. If he debrided damaged tissue that wasn’t meniscal, I’m not sure what it was. Finally, meniscus don’t heal and typically the more you take off to “repair” a tear, the more likely they are to tear in the future.

Sounds like she had at least some moderate pre-existing degeneration.

Don’t need to see the MRI, but the radiologist’s report and op note should be enough to at least give you a non-ortho surgeon translation of what’s going on with her knee.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I’m not an ortho, but I am a worker’s comp attorney, so sometimes I think I am. I certainly deal with messed up knees and related medicals on a daily basis.

What was the original mechanism of injury? How old is she?

>>Early fifties

Did she have any complaints at all prior to that?

>>Not to my knowledge

Is she better, the same, or worse since the surgery?

>>Worse she says.

Happy to make some educated guesses, but if there was no meniscus tear, I’d love to know exactly what the surgeon did. You can’t “clean up” arthrits, but you can scrape and smooth the bony rubbing surfaces in an effort to reduce friction. If he debrided damaged tissue that wasn’t meniscal, I’m not sure what it was. Finally, meniscus don’t heal and typically the more you take off to “repair” a tear, the more likely they are to tear in the future.

>>Yeah, I agree (for what that is worth). I suspect he tried to clean some of the cartilage up, but do not know what he truly did.

Sounds like she had at least some moderate pre-existing degeneration.

Don’t need to see the MRI, but the radiologist’s report and op note should be enough to at least give you a non-ortho surgeon translation of what’s going on with her knee.

>>I would like to read it as well. Maybe I can get a copy.

-Rob

Thanks for the reply.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Look into this!
http://www.amnioxmedical.com/flo.html

My wife was damn near crippled shot 100 mgs into the knees and was back doing thing she hasn't for years.

Works on any joints including spine.

It regenerative tissue from umbilical cords, no rejection, company is based in Atlanta, call them for a physician in your area!

Insurance typically does NOT pay for this.
What's your level odf pain and what's it worth to you.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It might be a worthwhile therapy.

RMD