SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maersk Ship Loses 750 Containers Overboard in Pacific Ocean
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maersk Ship Loses 750 Containers Overboard in Pacific Ocean Login/Join 
posted
I thought this was interesting.

A cargo ship operated by A.P. Moller-Maersk A/S lost several hundred containers in the Pacific Ocean while sailing through heavy seas from China to Los Angeles, the latest in a spate of incidents in which boxes carrying millions of dollars’ worth of goods have gone overboard.

The company said the Maersk Essen, which has capacity for more than 13,000 containers, lost an estimated 750 of them on January 16 about halfway through its trans-Pacific sailing from China’s Port of Xiamen.

“All crew members are safe and a detailed cargo assessment is ongoing while the vessel continues on her journey,” Maersk said in a statement on Thursday. “The U.S. Coast Guard, flag state and relevant authorities have been notified. We view this as a very serious situation which will be investigated promptly and thoroughly.” A.P. Moller-Maersk is based in Copenhagen and the ship carries a Danish flag.

Several container ships have lost large numbers of boxes overboard in recent months in a spurt of accidents that maritime industry officials say had been declining.

The One Apus container vessel, operated by Singapore-based Ocean Network Express, lost around 2,000 boxes in November when it hit a storm off Hawaii on its way to Long Beach, Calif., from Yantian, China. The ship eventually sailed to Kobe, Japan, with hundreds of tipped-over containers sitting precariously onboard and remains there for repairs and an investigation into the cause of the incident.

People involved in the investigations said insurance claims from the One Apus could reach more than $220 million.

Dislodged containers on the One Apus, berthed at Kobe after losing some 2,000 containers in November.
PHOTO: BUDDHIKA WEERASINGHE/BLOOMBERG NEWS
Losing boxes in harsh weather is relatively rare, but incidents this winter have been on the rise, especially in the Pacific.

Earlier this month, 76 containers fell off a vessel operated by Israel’s ZIM Integrated Shipping Services Ltd. en route from South Korea to North America. On Dec. 31, a boxship managed by Taiwan’s Evergreen Marine Corp. Ltd. lost around 40 containers off the coast of Japan while heading across the Pacific.

Engineers involved in the probes say they are looking into typical causes like failures in lashing systems that hold containers together. But as ships become bigger and containers are stacked high as multistory buildings, a vessel’s stability may come under greater pressure from pitching and rolling.

“It’s called parametric rolling and can happen when waves don’t hit the bow head-on, but at an angle. The ship goes into a rolling motion in sync with the waves which, combined with the ship’s normal pitching as it steams ahead, can displace cargo,” said Fotis Pagoulatos, an Athens-based naval architect.

Maritime officials say ship operators are looking at installing sensors that could issue warnings on sea conditions to avoid parametric rolling.

MORE FROM LOGISTICS REPORT
Maersk Ship Loses 750 Containers Overboard in Pacific Ocean January 21, 2021
Paccar, Aurora to Develop Self-Driving Big Rigs January 19, 2021
China-Australia Dispute Leaves Coal Carriers Stranded January 19, 2021
“The higher you stack the boxes on deck, the larger the forces they are subjected to when the vessel moves in waves, and this could be a contributing factor, especially as the recent demand boom has meant filling all ships to the brim,” said Lars Jensen, chief executive of Denmark-based SeaIntelligence Consulting.

Yiannis Sgouras, a veteran Greek captain, said the threat can come without warning, even when waves aren’t very high. “If you don’t catch it early on and change course, the ship can roll from side to side as it steams forward and things fall over,” he said.

Maritime insurance executives said roughly 3,000 containers have been lost at sea over the past two months.

The World Shipping Council, a Washington-based trade body representing liner companies, said in a report last July that between 2008 and 2019 on average 1,382 containers were lost at sea each year.

Write to Costas Paris at costas.paris@wsj.com

link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/m...3?mod=hp_minor_pos13

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Will these containers be floating around in the oceans, or sink ?

What a danger if they are floating.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about ocean going vessels, but I would think those things could be a major threat to some vessels.

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Sink.

You know those big ass metal containers on the back of semis? One of those. Unless that thing is filled up with ping-pong balls, balloons, styrofoam... It's going to be resting on the bottom of Davy Jones' locker.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Seems we have some goods "back ordered", install date delayed, the dealer told us the goods were on a container ship that lost some of the containers in a storm.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends.
There are lots of pictures of them floating. Depends on what's inside and their volume. They normally have pretty good seals on the doors to keep them watertight to protect the goods inside.
If they stay sealed and the weight of the steel container and the goods inside are less than the water they displace, it floats. Just like what makes a ship float.
I would think they could put some inexpensive tracking device inside high value cargo and someone would make a business to pick them up.

Lots of the answers here:
https://www.quora.com/How-long...dropped-in-the-ocean

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would need a change of drawers if I was onboard for that kind of pitch snd roll.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
All lost because the ship's captain didn't want to be a few days late.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to shed a tear over the loss of junk Chinese products.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great - I am waiting for a package that shipped from China a couple of weeks ago...

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Some quick math (may be wrong) tells me a container would need to be over twice the it's designed loaded weight to sink.... Unless seawater got in through a vent or door seals.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We've moved overseas a few times, and usually the moves involve freight by ocean for furniture, cars, etc. I always worry about this being the fate of our stuff someday.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect they will sink eventually but they can float for quite awhile. In my Navy days our radar operator called out a surface contact. We flew directly to it and didn’t see anything. He insisted something was painting right there. We made a couple more passes and sure enough the corner of a shipping container was bobbing around.

I’m sure it sank eventually but I certainly wouldn’t want to bang into it before it did. Btw, there was no shipping anywhere nearby so that thing was floating for awhile at least.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

Wouldn't be an issue if we produced more goods here.

Stuff like this and the virus are proof that China is not our friend. We need to stop acting like they aren't the enemy of the world right now.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
You've got to wonder if some of them contain humans being trafficked though.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of iPads, iPhones, and accessories.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I thought this was interesting.

A cargo ship operated by A.P. Moller-Maersk A/S lost several hundred containers in the Pacific Ocean while sailing through heavy seas from China to Los Angeles, the latest in a spate of incidents in which boxes carrying millions of dollars’ worth of goods have gone overboard.

Yeah, it happens.

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Sink.

Not necessarily.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
All lost because the ship's captain didn't want to be a few days late.

Well, it's not that simple. This isn't a cruise ship. If the Captain diverted every single time there was bad weather, he wouldn't be Captain for long. And furthermore, if the company simply allowed these diversions on every voyage, they wouldn't be getting these contracts for very long either.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a market for recovering these containers? Just curious.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Is there a market for recovering these containers? Just curious.

Only insofar as them posing a shipping hazard if they happen to be floating around in a common shipping lane. But I'm sure you mean to salvage goods within the containers? I actually don't know for certain, but I'm guessing most shipping companies just collect the insurance and move on. After firing the Captain of course for going through bad weather and losing cargo. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just thinking of a new Reality Show that would be more exciting than Oak Island.