SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    24:1 two cycle mix?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

24:1 two cycle mix? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Not sure why this little rototiller is 24:1, but that is what it say's.

So I am thinking about taking a 2.6 oz bottle this is for 1 gal. at 50:1 and using 1/2 gal. which should be 25:1 then,right? maybe use just a tad less than a 1/2 gal. maybe like .48 Gal.?

Any help

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Sounds right to me. I think the older engines used 24:1 because the oil wasn't as good back then.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
You have the math close enough 2.6 oz of oil in 64 oz of gas is 24.6:1.

24:1 is 2.66 oz of oil
25:1 is 2.56 oz of oil

To make 24:1 with 2.6 oz of oil is 62.4 oz of gas. I can't believe the rototiller would be sensitive to .1 oz oil or 1.6 oz of gas. I wouldn't bother as your measurement error will introduce as much variation - unless you are NIST exactly measuring everything.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close enough, it doesn't have to be exact. If it comes into question err on the side of a little more oil, rod and crank bearings will thank you.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thank you a lot guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You're over complicating this. Just mix 1 gallon of oil with 24 gallons of gas. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You're over complicating this. Just mix 1 gallon of oil with 24 gallons of gas. Wink

Oh, sure. Post the easy way....

(So, smart guy, how much rototilling could be accomplished with 25 gallons of mix????) Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
You may want to use non ethanol gas, if available in your area.
My Mantis prefers this fuel.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I've ever used it, at least for it's intended use, but a buddy gave me a mini-mizer, I think that was the label on it, a couple years ago, said that he saw them on sale someplace so got one for him and one for me. Have since seen them at the auto parts store and I think maybe at TSC. Anyway, it's a suction tube, sort of like an oversize hypodermic needle, with marks on it for just this type of measuring.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Walmart carries such an item. I bought one a while back... and haven't had to make a mix since of course. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
For other mixes use a Ratio Rite.

https://www.amazon.com/Ratio-R...s-come/dp/B000I1YLGK

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
had one of these for years. It has always worked well.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
Close enough, it doesn't have to be exact. If it comes into question err on the side of a little more oil, rod and crank bearings will thank you.

Back when I was a certified arborist, they had a chainsaw maintenance seminar put on by representatives from Stihl at one of the conferences I had to attend for continuing ed. While it may seem like more oil would be a good thing, they said the opposite is true. More oil makes the engine run hotter. Let's say you have 2 pieces of equipment ... one runs a 40:1 mix and the other runs a 50:1 mix. They said it would be better to mix at 50:1 for both than it would be to mix at 40:1. It seems backwards, but the guys from Stihl said they saw more 2 cycle engines fried from too much oil than not enough (I don't think they were counting someone who ran straight gas in one in that, though).

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
More oil makes the engine run hotter.

With out a jetting change - more oil, from recommendation, is leaning the fuel mixture. Two strokes rely on the cooling from the incoming fuel charge. Too lean, too hot, piston seizes to the cylinder.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Oh, sure. Post the easy way....

(So, smart guy, how much rototilling could be accomplished with 25 gallons of mix????) Big Grin

25 times as much as with one gallon of gas.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post