SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just gave the garbage man $20.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just gave the garbage man $20. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
We got an unexpected bunch of snow last night, maybe 6 inches so far. The hill I live on is treacherous when not plowed and treated often. I woke up and didn't expect the trash pickup to come. It's one of those trucks that picks up the barrels mechanically, driver stays inside the cab. So along comes the truck, he manages to pickup the trash barrel but the truck starts sliding as he tries to move up to the recycle.

It takes him about 5 minutes to get the truck moving and he drives away. No problem as once he got going it makes no sense to try to stop 3 feet away again and get stuck again. Well a minute later he is walking down my hill, grabbing my recycle barrel and dragging it up the hill. He had parked at the top and came back to finish the job. You just don't see that effort these days. I had plenty of time to find the cash and run out to him when he returned the barrel.

I wish everyone had such a work ethic. Made me feel good today. Except that I have to get the snow blower going again. Grrr. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Cool Great thing to do.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
That was awesome of you. I’m sure he really appreciated the gesture.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I too love to reinforce a good work ethic when I see it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yep. Our crew is the salt of the earth. On Tuesday I gave them a 4-pack of energy drinks, a box of Pop-Tarts, and a box of sweet'n'salty granola bars. That was a special thing, as I had a bunch of awkward wood crap to discard.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Years ago, just before Christmas, the wife comes up to me and says she would like to leave a gift card for our trash collector and our mailman. I was skeptical, but the look on her face plainly said...."just say OK", so I did. We do that for each of them every Christmas.

That was the best damn idea my wife has ever had. You would not believe the stuff I leave down by the road for him to pick up, and he has to get out of his truck to load it. Hell, I could leave a dead body down there and it would be gone the next day. Our mailman never leaves that note in the mailbox that says we had an over sized package or something must be signed for. Nope, he drives down our driveway, gets out of his jeep and leaves everything on our front porch. This happens several times a month.

Like I said, best investment we have ever made. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That made me smile. Props to the both of you! We like to provide water, snacks, and money to ours. The best part, is we have my 6 and 2 year old deliver them to the drivers. Amazingly, one of the drivers had a toy garbage truck ready to give to my son. It made our day.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Please let his employer know especially if your trash service is provided by a local government. If I was his supervisor I would want to know about my employee going to that much effort so he could be recognized and praised accordingly because you know if he did that once he has done other similar acts that have gone unnoticed.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our garbage truck has a driver and a fetcher, that rides on the back.
Every Christmas for ten years ,
They each get a Christmas card and $15.00.
And in June I call the office and let them know they are appreciated .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Our garbage truck has a driver and a fetcher, that rides on the back.
Every Christmas for ten years ,
They each get a Christmas card and $15.00.
And in June I call the office and let them know they are appreciated .

Good to see you posting again Bendable.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I give the garbage man $20 every 3 months. even though the place along side my house is only 75' from the curb, they put my trash cans back to the house. I'm the only one on the block they do this for (don't know why), but it save me time when I get home from work and then go into the woods and retrieve my cans on windy days. Coffee in the winter and water in the summer. These guys work hard for their money and I appreciate what they do.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I threw some cash in the pile of my dirty uniforms and when the driver, found it he handed it to me and said, this must have fallen out of your pocket. I said thanks for being honest but it's a tip for you. I know it made his day.

Posts: 413 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post