SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Owls are a hoot!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owls are a hoot! Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
It's springtime in our pine hammock and the owls are turning up the jam. Every dusk a great horned owl (one of at least two) sets up for hooting in a tall dead pine, about 30 yards behind our deck. One owl soon becomes two as another perches about 70 yards out. They look like they have cat's ears. This morning about 6:00 I was retrieving the local mullet wrapper when I heard a hoot. He (?) was perched on the neighbors roof gable. I wonder if he woke them up.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Owls are just about my favorite critter. We have several barred owls around. In the evenings they’ll start hooting back and forth to each other. I love sitting on the deck and listening to them.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We used to have a couple of them around here, and they would serenade us at night.

Have not heard, or seen, them in quite a while.

Kind of miss them. Along with the hummers.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had one two falls ago. Then, next year: Two. Last year: None.

We never saw them, but we'd hear them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Owls are just about my favorite critter. We have several barred owls around. In the evenings they’ll start hooting back and forth to each other. I love sitting on the deck and listening to them.

We get Barred Owls here on occasion as well. We had one a couple of years ago that showed up at the same time every evening on the same lower branch of a fir tree in our backyard for most of the summer. Really cool watching them hunt.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Gulf coast of Florida we have the little burrowing owls! Really cool little guys. I have one that feeds under the street light across the street and spends a lot of time at nite sitting on my mail box..

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have one to four barred owls that hoot it up in my oak trees. 'Who who who, who cooks for you'.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You just never know where you might see one.

I snapped this photo while parked in back of my wife's restaurant waiting to pick her up last winter.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I saw one early one morning in our driveway. He was trying to get to a sprinkler puddle for a drink by walking. What a sight! The birds' massive claws loop 180, so he has to walk on the back of his claws. On concrete. Looked like a barefoot girl trying to walk on hot gravel!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had 1 great horn owl. That was a few years ago. I mist the sound.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
You just never know where you might see one.

I snapped this photo while parked in back of my wife's restaurant waiting to pick her up last winter.

All jessed up and nowhere to go...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That's a Eurasian Eagle Owl.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That owl is fairly well known in the Park City area. The owner has him out every so often for pictures with the passer-bys and whatnot.

If i remember correctly, it is either this particular bird or his sibling or both that have been in quite a few movies including Harry Potter.

Something I thought was cool was the handler apparently lets the bird fly away and hunt at night, but--as Arnold said in Total Recall to Sharon Stone--he's "always back in the morning."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
In a previous house I had a back deck that extended from a hillside. There was a GHO who hung out in the neighborho0d. Sometimes, in the dark, I would feel him sweep overhead, didn't exactly see or hear him, just felt his presence.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We'll be moving to a new house soon, there are eucalyptus trees in the gully behind the house. I would love to put up an owl box but I don't know how to get it up, like 40 feet, in the tree. Any ideas?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I saw one near my house a few weeks ago. It was too dark to see what kind, but by size either a great horned or barred owl.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
An owl bit the heads off of three of my baby geese while they were in a 6' x 8' chain link fenced cage. Another event was my beautiful Llewellyn Setter pup, 8 weeks old, I had outside doing her business right after a snow storm. I was right with her when a huge owl swooped right by my head and tried to grab her up. Lucky I was so close and was able to save her. Other than that I enjoy the sound of the owls at night.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Sorry, could not resist posting my 2010 Hooters Calendar from one of my previous posts. The title disappointed a lot of members. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owls ate all my baby Cottontails. The food chain, airborne style.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post