SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Redback boots anyone????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redback boots anyone???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
EMTs around here have started wearing them.
https://www.redbackboots.com/product/1

Found this guy that cuts shoes in half on YouTube (guess there is a channel for everything) and he claims they are the comfiest boots he’s had. I could use some black slip on boots and have a credit to a place that sells them.
Anyone have experience? Made in Australia.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hqwbBpcElpE

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing these for the last 15 years. I love them. I have a pair for work and for home. These are the only things I wear day in and day out. They last a bloody long time, and I just change the insole every other year.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m also interested in these boots so I’d love to hear anyone’s opinions if they have some.

I’m currently looking for a new pair of work boots right now because the Red Wings I’m wearing now are steel toed and my new job doesn’t require safety toed boots. So I’m looking for something with a soft toe, light and comfortable. I remember hearing about this brand a while ago, and I’m glad this topic came up because I wanted to check them out back then and I might have to give these guys a shot.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Awesome boots. I have pair steel toe for EMS duty and a pair of regular toe for personal use. The EMS ones I've had about 7 years and they are still going strong. Very, very comfortable. I've got a new pair all ready to go and I just can't hang up my comfy pair. I HIGHLY recommend.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
These are very comparable to Blundstone’s from what I understand. No experience with them but my Blundstone’s are far and away the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Have been resoled once and look like hell but they are too comfortable to take off.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
Awesome boots. I have pair steel toe for EMS duty and a pair of regular toe for personal use. The EMS ones I've had about 7 years and they are still going strong. Very, very comfortable. I've got a new pair all ready to go and I just can't hang up my comfy pair. I HIGHLY recommend.

Do you have the type like shown in that video or do you have lace up boots?

While I'd like to try the type in the video I think I'm going to be limited to lace up boots because I have terrible feet (caused mainly by flat feet) that hurt a lot and I can almost cringe just thinking about pulling those on after a few days of being at work. At least I'm assuming that they are fairly snug and tight....but if they aren't all to bad to put on and take off then maybe I can give them a shot.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a full time mechanic for over 30 years. Starting wearing Redback boots close to 20 years ago when Knapp shoes disappeared. Good boots. I change the insoles regularly and typically get well over a year maybe 2 out of them. Sized wierd though, make sure you can try them on.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66tas:
I have been a full time mechanic for over 30 years. Starting wearing Redback boots close to 20 years ago when Knapp shoes disappeared. Good boots. I change the insoles regularly and typically get well over a year maybe 2 out of them. Sized wierd though, make sure you can try them on.

I'm not seeing anyplace around here that carries them so I would have to order them. Can you describe how they are sized weird? What I read so far is that they are a wider boot which is good because I typically wear a EE size in most shoes/boots anyway, but I have seen anything that said they were sized smaller or bigger than your typical boot.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
They use a different size measurement. I wear a 12 in American sizes and I wear a 10 1/2 size in the Redbacks.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
quote:

While I'd like to try the type in the video I think I'm going to be limited to lace up boots because I have terrible feet (caused mainly by flat feet) that hurt a lot and I can almost cringe just thinking about pulling those on after a few days of being at work. At least I'm assuming that they are fairly snug and tight....but if they aren't all to bad to put on and take off then maybe I can give them a shot.

I can’t speak for the boots yet hope to try them on today.
I too have a flatter foot and use different insoles in my boots to raise my arch. The video mentions that Redback uses a higher arch support insole already and folks with flatter feet will likely have foot pain for a couple days as your foot adjusts.
I should be good as I already have higher arched soles in my boots and went through the added foot pain adjusting to those.

I use Superfeet insoles and the resolve the foot pain I was having but are pretty stiff with almost zero cushion.

I have a pair of Protalus insoles as well which resolve the foot pain and have some cushion. I would prefer them to the Superfeet BUT they smell horrendous, not bad feet smell, but like a chemically oil/rubber smell, so bad I could not keep the insoles in the house, the bottom of my pants would smell, my socks, and I had to throw a pair of New Balance away. I was eating lunch with a buddy and he was like man do you smell that?
I informed him it was me.

I inquired with the company and got the following response

quote:
Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your concern with us. We sincerely apologize for the smell that comes with the insoles, but we're so happy to hear that they have been working for you!

Honestly you are not the first one to have mentioned this and our team is working on solving this issue permanently although we are not exactly sure when this will be resolved so we cannot guarantee that the insoles will not come with the smell when ordering from us anytime soon.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I have 2 pairs of the Redback boots shown in the video. One is black and the other pair is brown. I have had them and been wearing them ever since I had my first set of strokes. I put Superfeet orthotics to give me arch support, and they are very comfortable. I wear them all the time, and I am very pleased with them. I used to buy Blundstone boots, but ever since they stopped manufacturing the boots in Australia and moved the plant to Vietman and Thailand, the quality of the boots have taken a dump. The Redback boots are still manufactured in Australia.
Around here, I see both the local cops, the local EMTs and the Sheriff's Deputies wearing lace-up Redback boots with the steel toes.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Picked up a pair of Bobcats today. I can’t find the Bobcats on the website but look identical to the Easy Escape. This was the only model the store stocks.

First a note on sizing.
It appears that the Australian size is one less than the US size. The size that is marked on the boot itself is on the rear pull loop and appears to be the Australian size.

Some of the boxes in the store were marked with the US size and some with the Australian size so that took awhile to figure out what was going on.

1st pair I grabbed said 13 on the box, which is what I wear pretty much across the board, and they were huge. So after figuring out some boxes were marked US in small letters I found a US marked box 13. Popped them on and they fit just right.
They are marked size 12 on the boot loop itself.

These seem to be a soft leather, with a very squishy sole, and a noticeably high arch in the footbed.

I do not like Black shoes/boots as a casual footwear so these will be my around the house working boots. For yard work, power washing, and working on the car, etc.
They’ll be replacing a 14 year old pair of 5.11 HRT boots.

————————————————

Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
quote:

I have the pull versions like in the video. All black. Very easy to get on and off. They are not very snug and great for wide feet. I usually wear an 11.5 Extra Wide and these fit great.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking I would probably need to stick with the lace up boots after all. I’m reading that the pull on boots don’t have as much ankle support which I need due to uneven surfaces I’ll regularly have to walk on at work as well as here at home (our backyard is pretty lumpy due to the septic system replacement two summers ago).

Also, have to consider that it snows here every winter and I’ll have a better chance of keeping my feet dry with the lace up boots while in the backyard with our dogs every day.

I’ve sent an email to Redback to see if there is any difference in the footbed between the two styles. Just looking at the pics online they look identical to each other but just want to make sure there isn’t any significant difference before I place an order. All of the online reviews and videos are overwhelmingly positive for these boots with how comfortable they are. They sound like they are just what I need to deal with my messed up and painful feet.

posted Hide Post
So I’m still waiting to hear back from Redback on my inquiry and haven’t heard a thing yet.

For those that have these boots, how is the ankle support and water resistance of the pull-on style?

My wife told me to just buy a pair of each style and return one if the return shipping was free, but it looks like it isn’t. So I figured I’d ask here to see what you guys say. I know this the the brand of boot that I want to go with....just can’t decide which style I want to get.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I spent today in my pull ons working on the truck then playing at the park with the boys.

Plenty of ankle support.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I spent today in my pull ons working on the truck then playing at the park with the boys.

Plenty of ankle support.

I see that quite a few amazon reviewers are saying the same thing. So I went ahead and placed an order for these just now:

https://www.redbackboots.com/product/100

They claim to have better water resistance so that’s why I went with those over the other dark brown boot. Like you, I’m not a fan of black boots at all. Can blame that on my years in the Navy and the only color of boot that I was allowed to wear was black.

I just hope that the sizing is going to be good for me. Went with an 11 UK (12 US), but if I need to go slightly bigger or smaller they offer half sizes in both directions.

I can’t wait to get them....had to go for the free shipping though. To get the faster shipping options it would have added almost $90 or around $180 for overnight. No way am I going to pay for those shipping rates just to get them a few days sooner.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wear old socks for awhile. My white socks are now black.

I scuffed them up pretty good today. I’ll wear them awhile clean them well and slap some mink oil on them.

————————————————

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Redbacks are the local work and casual wear boot choice around here for looks.

Lighter than Blundstones.

Steel Blue, another brand, I wear when crewing - side zippers, oil and flame, etc.

I've had Blunnies and Rossi 303 (heavier).

The redback usbok is best for me so far so good, with an industrial look, it's good for casual outings ... gives me a some extra height too.

Consider the Redback sure!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Placed the order on Wednesday and they finally created a shipping label today. They sure don’t seem to be in much of a hurry to get their product out the door. Looks like they won’t actually give it over to UPS until Monday. So maybe I’ll have the boots delivered by the end of next week? I wish there was another way to order them online here in the States. On amazon it’s a mess as far as trying to order...