SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exit numbering by mile marker on interstates
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exit numbering by mile marker on interstates Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
There are currently more than 75,000 signatories on a petition to keep the old name; Tappan Zee Bridge.

WHAT!!! They are trying to rename that? Where do I sign?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Adding a new exit was a problem with the old system too.
A, B, C, D... Wink

Ya know, one day, Atlanta is gonna end up with exit "Exit 27 ZIMBABWE" on I-285.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I’d swear that the mileage numbering was fairly new in CA, maybe in the last handful of years. The exits were just named for the road they were letting you off on. Of course maybe it’s always been like that and I’ve been oblivious, but I don’t think so...

You're not oblivious. While CA started in 2002-2004 to number their exits, here in San Diego the numbers have only been in place a short while.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the NY Thruway was numbered by dollar amount last time I was on it. Razz

We do number and road name here but we decided to make it weird and have 3 street names for each road.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
It's amazing how many people don't know how the interstate numbering system works. Odd, even, two digit vs. three digit.

When you tell them they are like "Oh wow....". Smile

I was visiting in Hawaii and on Ohau there are three freeways... H1, H2, and H3.

I commented that why are they not I1, I2, and I3. We it dawned on me how could it be an interstate being only in Hawaii!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
On the PA Turnpike...you will see an exit sign, Reading, EXIT 45. then underneath, OLD exit 20...or whatever.

At least they reference the old number.

It's surprising the folks that don't understand how Interstate mile markers work...as well as COMPASS directions. Back in my MHP days, folks would call in an incident and the dispatchers would quiz them on location. because so few actually know east from west. Or north from south. THAT amazed me.

Yup. PA had switched over a few years ago. All good now, including TP.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I just do whatever the GPS tells me.

Big Grin
And that can be a big mistake Wink

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the PA Turnpike...you will see an exit sign, Reading, EXIT 45. then underneath, OLD exit 20...or whatever.

It's surprising the folks that don't understand how Interstate mile markers work...as well as COMPASS directions. Back in my MHP days, folks would call in an incident and the dispatchers would quiz them on location. because so few actually know east from west. Or north from south. THAT amazed me.

How about you explain it to me then? I see the exit numbers, I don't know what's in reference to. I always figures some highway guy gives them the exit number in order of how they entered it in their records.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Going north from the southern border of a state, the mileage starts at 0 (I-95 in south Florida is an example). The numbers increase as you go north, to the northern border of that state (Florida/Georgia line is, like, 325 on the Florida Side). At the Florida/Georgia border, the numbers in Georgia then start at 0 (border) and run up as you go north.

For the east-west routes, the numbering starts with 0 at the western border of a state, then increase as you go east.

I though Pennsylvania was one of the last states to jump on this bandwagon; are there still some holdouts out there?

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

How about you explain it to me then? I see the exit numbers, I don't know what's in reference to. I always figures some highway guy gives them the exit number in order of how they entered it in their records.

Rover88 beat me to it. Got it??

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Ever seen mile marker 880 in Orange, Texas? The distance from El Paso.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I remember Florida switching over on I-95 in the mid 2000s. I know VA, NC, SC, and GA were already doing it by then, and well before. Not sure about further north.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that, as noted by my post about the Great State Of Maine and how they numbered 95 and 295 exits. From arbitrary numbers to the mile marker system.

Call the rest the "fun fact of the day".

To further that, N-S Interstates start low numbers in the west, getting larger as you move east. E-W Interstates, low in the south, larger as you go north. This is exactly opposite of the old US Routes highway system, and was chosen to avoid having I-10 and US 10 in the same place. As a result, we now see US 1 and I-95 pretty much paralleling each other.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
The NJ Turnpike still clings to the old method.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

WHAT!!! They are trying to rename that? Where do I sign?

https://www.change.org/p/the-n...he-indians-and-dutch

It would be one thing if it was somewhere else, but it's right along side the old bridge. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In general I'm opposed to naming public structures after politicians. Except for Reagan Airport. But that's just to gall all the Dems flying in and out.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
They changed to the mile marker system on our interstate exits a while back in Mississippi. All 3 of them. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I’d swear that the mileage numbering was fairly new in CA, maybe in the last handful of years. The exits were just named for the road they were letting you off on. Of course maybe it’s always been like that and I’ve been oblivious, but I don’t think so...
You're not oblivious. While CA started in 2002-2004 to number their exits, here in San Diego the numbers have only been in place a short while.
Heck, in the 1960s California didn't even number their freeways--they just had names (Santa Monica Freeway, Hollywood Freeway, San Diego Freeway, etc.)--if you weren't using those to go to the place they were named for you had no clue where the other end went. Eventually, they got highway numbers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
wo digit routes are major routes spanning states. Odd numbers run north to south (5, 95, etc) even numbers run west to east (10,40, etc)

Also interstate lowest numbers N/S in West, lowest numbers E/W are in the South. I believe US highways are the reverse to that. That revelation actually helped with navigating, knowing that I am on US 280 and want to get to US 296 that is going to be running E/W and positioned south of me.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NJ Turnpike still clings to the old method.

Why not? It works. Their aren't that many exits on the roadways. About 18 total.

The cost to change over would be huge and the roadway is not public but private. .

THE GSP has used a riugh indication of the mile marker for deacdes but that have significantly more exits.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post