SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exit numbering by mile marker on interstates
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exit numbering by mile marker on interstates Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
NY always used to tick me off. Unless you know the goofy coded system that they use to identify location there is no way to know where you are exactly.

Normally, in states that don't have their heads up their asses, you drive by a mile marker that says 73 and you know instantly that you are 73 miles from a border or major interchange. Back there, you are cruising along and see this (which means nothing to the average Joe):

I'm sure it works for dispatchers and cops who are able to look up where that is, but for the rest of us they are useless.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I-19 south of Tucson is marked in kilometers, not miles. We're here on vacation, might not have noticed except there was a sign. The speed limit (75 IIRC) was in mph.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I remember when shortly after I moved here and finally memorized certain exit numbers, that they changed from arbitrary numbers to the mile system. Ooff!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
NY always used to tick me off. Unless you know the goofy coded system that they use to identify location there is no way to know where you are exactly.

Normally, in states that don't have their heads up their asses, you drive by a mile marker that says 73 and you know instantly that you are 73 miles from a border or major interchange. Back there, you are cruising along and see this (which means nothing to the average Joe):

I'm sure it works for dispatchers and cops who are able to look up where that is, but for the rest of us they are useless.

Let's see, I know I'm on Rte. 22A, but other than that the whole convoluted system is described here: Roll Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ce_marker_(New_York)

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Don’t think SC does it

They do. I drive the interstates in SC quite frequently of late and they’re on the miles system

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Good to see you posting AV-8 tor!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post