SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exit numbering by mile marker on interstates
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exit numbering by mile marker on interstates Login/Join 
posted
Are ALL interstates now using mile markers for the exit numbers? It makes a lot of sense, though a restaurant or two may have had to change its name from the old system.

The NYS Thruway has not adopted this, I was visiting pals in Syracuse a few months ago and noticed they were still on the old numerical order system. I guess they can do what they want, but I like the mile marker system.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Out here in rural CO, it is essential. Even then......some people can't count Roll Eyes.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have found that out west it is pretty universal, but back east it is still being changed over. When Maine renumbered 95 and 295 it screwed me up when I was driving home that first time lol.

The first time I noticed mile markers matched exits I was driving from CA to NC. I just hit Nebraska and was like "holy hell!! 400 miles of this???" Lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I found that it's pretty much the normal on free interstates, but seems to be the exception on toll roads even the interstate ones.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23250 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Quite a while ago I was working for a marketing company. They sent me into PA to do some work. Back then VA and WVA were on the mile marker system but unknown to me PA was still on the old system.

When I was given directions to get off the Interstate at exit 5 in PA I figured out my time based on mileage. Turns out I ended up about thirty minutes behind schedule.

I prefer the mileage system.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how many people don't know how the interstate numbering system works. Odd, even, two digit vs. three digit.

When you tell them they are like "Oh wow....". Smile

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
they were still on the old numerical order system. I guess they can do what they want, but I like the mile marker system.

unsure what the 'old numerical order system' may be; it seems here in the West as far as I can tell, correlate the freeway exit numbers with the actual freeway mileage from the West/South borders, unless I'm mistaken....always a possibility.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Adding a new exit was a problem with the old system too.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
they were still on the old numerical order system. I guess they can do what they want, but I like the mile marker system.

unsure what the 'old numerical order system' may be; it seems here in the West as far as I can tell, correlate the freeway exit numbers with the actual freeway mileage from the West/South borders, unless I'm mistaken....always a possibility.

Ditto. Having lived "out here" all my life I just assumed that exit numbering was done the same all across the country. Learn something new every day.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The northeast is still sequential with the exception of the Maine Turnpike and maybe PA.

Also, even using that system, most NY highways are backward (lower numbered in the east/north), at least the few I've traveled.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’d swear that the mileage numbering was fairly new in CA, maybe in the last handful of years. The exits were just named for the road they were letting you off on. Of course maybe it’s always been like that and I’ve been oblivious, but I don’t think so...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
As a rule of thumb, (and it's been a while since I navigated with a Rand McNalley), here we go:

Two digit routes are major routes spanning states. Odd numbers run north to south (5, 95, etc) even numbers run west to east (10,40, etc)

Three digit numbers run by major cities, and if it starts with an even number it goes around, if it starts with an odd number it is a spur going in.

A good example is Washington DC. 95 runs right by it, north to south. 495 runs around it, and 395 runs into it.

There are exceptions but those are the basics.

posted Hide Post
Don’t think SC does it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

A lot of the Eastern states originally numbered the exits sequentially, irrespective of mileage. The 1st exit traveling from South to North (or East to West) was exit ONE, regardless of how far into the state you were, the next exit was TWO, and so on...

When I was traveling through GA in the late eighties, they were still sequential on I85, but changed over shortly thereafter. I'm somewhat surprised everyone hasn't changed over by now.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Adding a new exit was a problem with the old system too.
A, B, C, D... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
As a rule of thumb, (and it's been a while since I navigated with a Rand McNalley), here we go:

Two digit routes are major routes spanning states. Odd numbers run north to south (5, 95, etc) even numbers run west to east (10,40, etc)

Three digit numbers run by major cities, and if it starts with an even number it goes around, if it starts with an odd number it is a spur going in.

A good example is Washington DC. 95 runs right by it, north to south. 495 runs around it, and 395 runs into it.

There are exceptions but those are the basics.

Except they aren’t talking about freeway numbering, but exit numbering. There are signs along the interstate showing mileage on that freeway from the state border. These are used to describe exits. “Take I-35 exit 243 north to such and so.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
On the PA Turnpike...you will see an exit sign, Reading, EXIT 45. then underneath, OLD exit 20...or whatever.

At least they reference the old number.

It's surprising the folks that don't understand how Interstate mile markers work...as well as COMPASS directions. Back in my MHP days, folks would call in an incident and the dispatchers would quiz them on location. because so few actually know east from west. Or north from south. THAT amazed me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Except they aren’t talking about freeway numbering, but exit numbering. There are signs along the interstate showing mileage on that freeway from the state border. These are used to describe exits. “Take I-35 exit 243 north to such and so.”

I understand that, as noted by my post about the Great State Of Maine and how they numbered 95 and 295 exits. From arbitrary numbers to the mile marker system.

Call the rest the "fun fact of the day".

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I just do whatever the GPS tells me.

Big Grin

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
NY Thruway, like it's governor, suck.
100% of user tolls should be used to maintain the roadway, plow snow, landscape, pay the workers, etc.
Instead a portion is used to subsidize an antiquated barge canal system.
Our illustrious governor has named a new, multi billion dollar, bridge over the Hudson River after his governor father; Mario Cuomo.
There are currently more than 75,000 signatories on a petition to keep the old name; Tappan Zee Bridge.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post